Burke Unhappy With Work Of Veterans

Veteran leadership as well as a culture of winning is lacking with the Bombers. In Winnipeg, the team & fans think 9-9 & just making the playoffs is good enough. Living in Calgary for over 20 years & watching the Stamps, first with Wally & now with Hufnagel (forget the F Troop years of 2002 through 2004) the Stamps expect to win. The leadership in the dressing room is stellar. The leadership from Wally now Huff is outstanding. I don't see any of that with the Bombers. Until that happens, this team is going nowhere.

Here's my armchair GM off-season plan:

(Clearly Mack and Burke disagree with this)

a) Cut Pierce and Brink

B) Make a trade with Calgary for Glenn

c) Have Elliott and Glenn fight it out for the #1 QB position

Is that a perfect solution?  Of course not...but I think it's better than what we have right now.

a) Cut Pierce and Brink

Is that a perfect solution?  Of course not...but I think it's better than what we have right now.

sigh... that woulda been the ideal course of action for the offseason...

a) Cut Pierce and Brink

and this is why i hope Mack is the GM in Winnipeg for many years to come: an engaged fan who has been paying attention can take 2 minutes in a post to come up with a better plan than he can.

and this is why i hope Mack is the GM in Winnipeg for many years to come: an engaged fan who has been paying attention can take 2 minutes in a post to come up with a better plan than he can.

Yeah I'm not prepared to say that the qbs they brought in to back up Pierce aren't good options yet just because of one preseason game that turned out like ****. Plenty of preseason heroes have flopped when it mattered. I would suggest that Hall did OK playing in the situation he did. Lots of backups all over the field when he was out there, Goltz completed his passes when there's lots of backups around... Still time for those choices to be vindicated, it's continuing the drama with Pierce that is the issue and that to me all comes back to Burke being so dead set on Pierce.

Yeah I'm not prepared to say that the qbs they brought in to back up Pierce aren't good options yet just because of one preseason game that turned out like ****. Plenty of preseason heroes have flopped when it mattered. I would suggest that Hall did OK playing in the situation he did. Lots of backups all over the field when he was out there, Goltz completed his passes when there's lots of backups around... Still time for those choices to be vindicated, it's continuing the drama with Pierce that is the issue and that to me all comes back to Burke being so dead set on Pierce.

Yes. Maybe one of the new guys will step up. Personally, I prefer a plan with fewer "what ifs"

Yes. Maybe one of the new guys will step up. Personally, I prefer a plan with fewer "what ifs"

The problem is there were what ifs no matter what we did... I would have been OK getting Glenn but that also brings up the question of what Calgary feels about the situation there and is it worth paying whatever the price is just for Kevin Glenn? We have been down that road before and while it was a mistake to dump Glenn with nothing left he's still not the guy you break the bank to acquire. Ultimately this teams qb situation will only be fixed internally so we might as well just keep hoping one of the backups has the right stuff.

I refuse to believe that he was THAT uncoachable. If that were the case I don't see how he would have lasted 3 years before those issues came up. I think this was a case of Burke not being a fan and not even trying to coach him. 

I'd agree ,  considering he stayed in Winnipeg 2 years ago when he was hurt and was coaching high school football.   

My co worker met and talked with JE and he was extremely friendly and respectful and far from a d-bag with him.   I'm guessing JE raised the possibility that the coaches were making bad play calls and decisions and because of that they axed him and went with the Yes man.

Personally I feel like the ability to "inspire" or "motivate" is overblown.  These guys shouldn't need motivation and if they do then maybe that's been the problem all along. Really I'd rather just have a coach that excels at the Xs and Os of the game.

Until you watch old game film of Pinball Clemons getting his Argo players completely pumped and psyched up. 

Heck look at the drop off of play once Richard Harris passed away... it's been night and day!

Until you watch old game film of Pinball Clemons getting his Argo players completely pumped and psyched up. 

Heck look at the drop off of play once Richard Harris passed away... it's been night and day!

yup... kinda makes you want to go hit someone, doesn't it?

when a nice little feller like Pinball starts yelling about VIOLENCE!  :lol:

Awesome video!!  Now I don't expect all coaches to be that rah rah... but you definitely noticed all the players paying attention and listening.   The last few years I've only seen players showboat , laugh,  zoned out despite the fact that the team is losing....

Glenn behind that O-line would be an effing catastrophe.

Re: Burke . Wasn't he the quiet architect of Swaggerville, def. knew , trusted and respected him (along with his football accumen in general) which was the rationale for promoting him in the first place ?

As much as I would LOVE to have Glenn on the team(he would make our offence pretty damn good) Im pretty happy with going with Pierce to start the season, just to give Hall/Goltz 2 or three more weeks to get ready to be the true starting QB on the team.

after week three(give or take a week or 2) our real stable of QB's will be Hall/Goltz as 1 and 2, and Clement will be brought back as number three....

Hopefully, after that point Burke will be smart enough to put Buck in as an offensive coach of some kind.

I refuse to believe that he was THAT uncoachable. If that were the case I don't see how he would have lasted 3 years before those issues came up. I think this was a case of Burke not being a fan and not even trying to coach him.

you think a professional coach just didn't try to coach him?

As much as I would LOVE to have Glenn on the team(he would make our offence pretty damn good) Im pretty happy with going with Pierce to start the season, just to give Hall/Goltz 2 or three more weeks to get ready to be the true starting QB on the team.

after week three(give or take a week or 2) our real stable of QB's will be Hall/Goltz as 1 and 2, and Clement will be brought back as number three....

Hopefully, after that point Burke will be smart enough to put Buck in as an offensive coach of some kind.

If that were the case...he'd be doing it as we speak...

but to single people out even if you attribute it to players is wrong as well. It was a collective pants shitting by the team, I'm not going to be too hard on the qb for that just because he's the qb when everyone involved in that messed their drawers.

I would have a hard time singling out anyone player for a loss, no matter how big or small.  I was just pointing out that the game in question, was not just the coaches who would be to blame, as you so stated.  

I would have a hard time singling out anyone player for a loss, no matter how big or small.  I was just pointing out that the game in question, was not just the coaches who would be to blame, as you so stated.  

but ultimately, if a team so completely fails to show up it reflects more on the coaches than the players. obviously the players played badly... but why did they do that? Gotta blame the coaching first and foremost.

That's the worst idea I have heard since the nameless one brought in the Bishop.

but ultimately, if a team so completely fails to show up it reflects more on the coaches than the players. obviously the players played badly... but why did they do that? Gotta blame the coaching first and foremost.

Given this particular instance, I would say otherwise.  Lack of preparation being Burke's first game as HC, and an underwhelming gameplan is on the coaches. Poor/no execution, undisciplined penalties, and a general lack of attention/awareness, is on the players. 

Given this particular instance, I would say otherwise.  Lack of preparation being Burke's first game as HC, and an underwhelming gameplan is on the coaches. Poor/no execution, undisciplined penalties, and a general lack of attention/awareness, is on the players. 

I'd say the Argos were trying to force the Bombers into revealing more of their protection packages by going after our QB's and I'm glad that Burke and Crowton didn't fall for it and get into a **** swinging match with them in a meaningless preseason game.

I'd say the Argos were trying to force the Bombers into revealing more of their protection packages by going after our QB's and I'm glad that Burke and Crowton didn't fall for it and get into a **** swinging match with them in a meaningless preseason game.

Great point!  I can't believe all the pissing and moaning on the other site about how bad we looked.  A certain idiot clown is already asking for Burke's head, if you can believe it. It's a pre-season game for goodness sakes.  The best strategy is to not reveal very much if anything in the pre-season about your playbook. It's about evaluating the guys you have while bullets (albeit rubber) are flying.  If the other teams want to win the pre-season Grey Cup they are welcome to it.

Great point!  I can't believe all the pissing and moaning on the other site about how bad we looked.  A certain idiot clown is already asking for Burke's head, if you can believe it. It's a pre-season game for goodness sakes.  The best strategy is to not reveal very much if anything in the pre-season about your playbook. It's about evaluating the guys you have while bullets (albeit rubber) are flying.  If the other teams want to win the pre-season Grey Cup they are welcome to it.

Yeah I don't care how bad the team looked, I mean rider fans are super pumped about that game last night but I saw a couple real sloppy teams that were lucky the other teams kept making mistakes... The things I'm concerned with are things that we talked about a lot in the offseason. Whether Burke is the man, Pierce being back, all that kinda stuff.