Hefney Busted For Pot Possession Day Before Tc

You don't know that. Basically up to each officer at the border. We all know there are nice ones & ones that ate a bowl full of nails for breakfast. 

They don't make the rules.  If it's a misdemeanour he can cross.  The problem here isn't the crime as much as the omission of the facts from the Bombers.  I'd be disappointed to lose him based on this, but it is insubordination.

People want to cut the guy because he was smoking pot? News flash guys, half the population smokes pot. Hell, it's better for you than alchohal...

Back on topic lol. I really hope Burke doesn't set this as his "example" Hefney is important to our d. He ain't goin no where

You can't just cut an NHL'er and be done with him like you can in the CFL.

well to be honest, ya you could.. but it would be dumb.. just like in this instance, it would be dumb.   if your conduct is deemed damaging to the teams image, you can be released by either sports teams I'm pretty sure.  the players association may go to bat for the players but its still a stipulation im pretty sure. 

meh. possession of pot is a fine here.. and in most states I believe..  hef grew up in a culture that glorified it..  not to mention its pretty popular here as well..

its legal in a bunch of states already and wil probably be here soon as well..  if he was cut/traded cuz of this, I would be disappointed..

It's legal in two states and South Carolina isn't one of them, not even for medicinal use.  If it were this side of the border, cops would've seized it on the spot and sent him on his way; not even worth the paper work for them.  But American authorities are pretty sadistic when it comes to drugs, even pot.  Might as well have been 6 kilos of cocaine because that's how some states still treat it.  Hopefully this won't be the case and it gets settled quickly.  As for how Mack and Burke deal with it, that's a whole other story...(Hef might be safer in jail!)

I think it's pretty clear that the biggest problem with this is not telling his team that he had just been booked on pot possession and given a court date that fell in the middle of training camp. How ridiculous of Hefney to not say anything.

And also, regardless of your opinions of pot, where he was it was illegal to have some. And he did. I'm pretty sure at my place of work, I'd be out of a job for that one. This, combined with his history, tells me he probably shouldn't be on this team anymore. Or at the very least suspended to set an example.

(And that's also ignoring the point that, if the car smelled enough of weed to have the cop search the vehicle, he was probably high while driving, which is something else that pisses me right the hell off. Drink and get high all you want on your own, really, but don't get behind the wheel while drunk or high.)

(And that's also ignoring the point that, if the car smelled enough of weed to have the cop search the vehicle, he was probably high while driving, which is something else that pisses me right the hell off. Drink and get high all you want on your own, really, but don't get behind the wheel while drunk or high.)

You're making a big leap. If you went to a party where others were smoking it you are going to come away smelling of it. Seeing how the article makes no mention of a field sobriety test being administered it is just as likely that the police officer smelled the residual on them since he would have been standing pretty close to the truck. Again if the officer had any reason to suspect that Hef was driving under the influence he would have administered a field sobriety test.

I think it's pretty clear that the biggest problem with this is not telling his team that he had just been booked on pot possession and given a court date that fell in the middle of training camp. How ridiculous of Hefney to not say anything.

I'm not so sure he actually has to go to court.  Kirk Penton uploaded a picture of the police report and the last line is "Case closed by issuance of ticket."  That doesn't sound like he's going to have to deal with this any further.

http://blogs.canoe.ca/bomberbeat/general/is-this-the-end-for-jonathan-hefney/

He has to leave the country to go to court. He has to be allowed back into the country and then he has to be granted a work permit. It does not matter if it is in fact a misdemeanour in the US. Unfortunately it is how a similar charge is interpreted under the Canadian criminal code. Then Burke and. Mack and likely the BOD can decide whatever their pound of flesh will or will not be.

The infraction is no big deal, what is (as has been mentioned already) is not telling the coaches. I like Hefney but what an idiot. As for crossing the border I doubt that it will be an issue but in any case he's here now so when he goes home for the by he should plan to be back a couple of days early in case there are any issues.

I love Hefney as a football player and I want him to stay as a BlueBombers.

As it stands right now, and as Knuckles have hinted, his days with the BlueBombers may be numbered.

Maturity and leadership is obviously a big issue with Hefney and hopefully, that wont be enough reason for Mack and Burke to cut ties with him.

But if they do, hopefully it's not an outright cut.... at least get something from him. (Hear that Mack !?)

I can't see the Bombers cutting Hefney.

All this talk about being disappointed with his play? Why would they give him a 35k bonus with his new deal in January then.

Suspend him a game without pay and be done with it.

im hoping for that too... but Mack is not afraid to pull any trigger... so let see what happens.

I think the "court date" is essentially just the date he has to pay the fine by, I doubt he even has to be present.

The more I think about it, the less I think they'd cut Hefney for getting fined for pot possession. Odell Willis had a problem with harder stuff than a few grams of dope when he was here and we didn't cut him over that. The worst thing is definitely that he didn't tell anyone.

Odell Willis had a problem with harder stuff than a few grams of dope when he was here and we didn't cut him over that. 

I was chuckling to myself, thinking we could use Hodgekinson right about now to make this go away...

Who says he has to go to court personally.

From the Free Press article about the incident (http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Bombers-Hefney-charged-with-marijuana-possesion-in-SC-210908201.html):

Hefney was issued a ticket for a first-offence possession and will have to appear in court on June 19 — the day before the Bombers are to complete their 2013 pres-eason with a game in Guelph, Ont, against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

I'm just going by that. If he did just get a ticket and that's that, I can see more why he wouldn't have disclosed it and why it's not as big of a deal. But the reporting indicates otherwise.

We shall see how this plays out, I suppose. In general, I agree with Mike's opinion (or at least his take on what will happen). I think Hefney should be suspended (maybe more than 1 game if I was choosing) but allowed to return if he proves he wants to once-and-for-all cut all this bullshit out until he's retired or something.

As for the DUI part, I was probably stretching. If he wasn't charged, it's entirely possible he wasn't under the influence while driving. I just have seen far too many friends get behind the wheel while stoned without a second thought, thinking they're totally fine and that there's no way they'd get in any trouble for it. It bugs me because I know they're not fine, but the precedent hasn't really been set for those.