Who do the Bombers protect?

BigBlue

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak.  IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths.  Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space.  I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.  

I can see him working well in a few offensive systems.

That's all well and good, but he can't catch

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak.  IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths.  Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space.  I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.  

Every scouting report out there talked about his good hands coming out of Central Michigan

What the hell happened

He can catch.  We've seen it. He had a decent second year here after missing most of 2011. 2013 has been inconsistent as well with another injury then being regulated to spot duty.  With Watson and Kohlert taking most of the first team reps, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get back in there on a regular basis.  

I'd protect Pencer and Swiston over Poblah. That makes no sense. Ditto not protecting MSW. Penton seemed uniformed in his article.

JBR, would you use 4 NI on the OL with upgrades in free agency and the draft?

Who?  Anybody who can start likely won't hit the market.  At best you are looking at utility guys who can step in and be average (like Parenteau), or guys that price themselves off of rosters like Picard.  You can't count on draft picks to step right in.  For one, guys that have that talent ready to go will probably get a NFL shot, and the others likely won't be ready.  If a rookie steals a spot that's a bonus, but you can't plan for that.  If we are lucky, one of our NI "tackles" will develop into an adequate guard and we'll be able to acquire an average centre, which we don't have.  Starting 4 NI's on the OL would just be pure ratio desperation because the players needed to do it aren't on the horizon.

As soon as I read that article I thought..  What a bunch of bad choices followed by a bunch of bad reasons.  

Then I thought... The folks on the forums know more than Penton.  

Finally I thought... I should get a bowl of popcorn and see what the folks on the forums are saying.   Turns out it wasn't as much as I thought it would be.  Now I have half a bowl of popcorn left. 

The Bomber roster is not overly deep on talent right now, so the Blue and Gold should be able to protect most of their key pieces leading up to the Dec. 16 dispersal of talent.

Helping matters are the 25 potential free agents who are currently lined up to test the waters, although that could change if the Bombers are able to get some of them to re-sign.

The Redblacks will be wary to take free agents from teams since there’s a chance those players will simply re-sign elsewhere after the middle of February. There are a few potential free agents that might be worth taking a chance on, however, and the Bombers figure into that picture.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/10/21/redblack-and-blue-a-look-at-players-the-bombers-should-protect-in-expansion-draft

25!  Crazy times.

Mass exodus coming and not a moment too soon.

Every scouting report out there talked about his good hands coming out of Central Michigan

What the hell happened

Receivers Coach Howell stole Poblah's magic mittens away.

I'd protect Pencer and Swiston over Poblah. That makes no sense. Ditto not protecting MSW. Penton seemed uniformed in his article.

Who?  Anybody who can start likely won't hit the market.  At best you are looking at utility guys who can step in and be average (like Parenteau), or guys that price themselves off of rosters like Picard.  You can't count on draft picks to step right in.  For one, guys that have that talent ready to go will probably get a NFL shot, and the others likely won't be ready.  If a rookie steals a spot that's a bonus, but you can't plan for that.  If we are lucky, one of our NI "tackles" will develop into an adequate guard and we'll be able to acquire an average centre, which we don't have.  Starting 4 NI's on the OL would just be pure ratio desperation because the players needed to do it aren't on the horizon.

Well, unless there are zero linemen as free agents coming, I don't know how you can even makes that statement now.

Doug Berry turned the oline around in one season using cast off veterans, it happens and should happen again with the right man in charge.

Who?  Anybody who can start likely won't hit the market.  At best you are looking at utility guys who can step in and be average (like Parenteau), or guys that price themselves off of rosters like Picard.  You can't count on draft picks to step right in.  For one, guys that have that talent ready to go will probably get a NFL shot, and the others likely won't be ready.  If a rookie steals a spot that's a bonus, but you can't plan for that.  If we are lucky, one of our NI "tackles" will develop into an adequate guard and we'll able to acquire an average centre, which we don't have.  Starting 4 NI's on the OL would just be pure ratio desperation because the players needed to do it aren't on the horizon.

Well, unless there are zero linemen as free agents coming, I don't know how you can even makes that statement now.

Doug Berry turned the oline around in one season using cast off veterans, it happens and should happen again with the right man in charge.

I don't know which Berry team you're talking about.  Taman traded a 1st round pick and Garrick Jones (probably the best import tackle we've had since the 80s) for Gauthier, Abou-Mechrek returned as a free agent the year before Berry was low-balled after 06 and hoisted the Grey Cup for the Riders in 07, Khan was a dispersal draft pick, Picard was a draft pick, Goodspeed was added in 05.

He can catch.  We've seen it. He had a decent second year here after missing most of 2011. 2013 has been inconsistent as well with another injury then being regulated to spot duty.  With Watson and Kohlert taking most of the first team reps, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get back in there on a regular basis.  

Guess you haven't been watching the same Poblah as I have. Injuries or not..you can't rely on him to get open, and if he does to make the catch. Guess that's why he is sitting on the bench.

Who?  Anybody who can start likely won't hit the market.  At best you are looking at utility guys who can step in and be average (like Parenteau), or guys that price themselves off of rosters like Picard.  You can't count on draft picks to step right in.  For one, guys that have that talent ready to go will probably get a NFL shot, and the others likely won't be ready.  If a rookie steals a spot that's a bonus, but you can't plan for that.  If we are lucky, one of our NI "tackles" will develop into an adequate guard and we'll able to acquire an average centre, which we don't have.  Starting 4 NI's on the OL would just be pure ratio desperation because the players needed to do it aren't on the horizon.

I don't know which Berry team you're talking about.  Taman traded a 1st round pick and Garrick Jones (probably the best import tackle we've had since the 80s) for Gauthier, Abou-Mechrek returned as a free agent the year before Berry was low-balled after 06 and hoisted the Grey Cup for the Riders in 07, Khan was a dispersal draft pick, Picard was a draft pick, Goodspeed was added in 05.

What's it matter how he acquired them, Gauthier & St Germain allowed them to start 4 NI's and the team went from 5 wins to 9, just do it.

What's it matter how he acquired them, Gauthier & St Germain allowed them to start 4 NI's and the team went from 5 wins to 9, just do it.

Gauthier and St Germain were never teammates with the Bombers.

So JBR, looking at who's here and potentially available, how do you manage the ratio in 2014?

3 OL, 2 receivers/tight end/running back, 3-4 guys rotating between 2 spots (DL, LB and DB) on defence.  IMO we'd be stretching to claim that we have 3 starting quality NI OL now, so we need to do some work/development just to fill 3 spots, forget 4.  Quantity does not equal quality.  We can add every halfway decent NI OL prospect from around the league, doesn't mean we can build a OL out of them. 

So JBR, looking at who's here and potentially available, how do you manage the ratio in 2014?

3 OL, 2 receivers/tight end/running back, 3-4 guys rotating between 2 spots (DL, LB and DB) on defence.  IMO we'd be stretching to claim that we have 3 starting quality NI OL now, so we need to do some work/development just to fill 3 spots, forget 4.  Quantity does not equal quality.  We can add every halfway decent NI OL prospect from around the league, doesn't mean we can build a OL out of them. 

Makes sense. Not sure we have the DB or DL right now though.

How about we quit trying to reinvent the wheel?

Say what you want about Berry but he brought the Montreal model with him, 4 NI's on the oline, 1 on the DL, a safety and a receiver and he made the playoffs every year as a HC with us, not many Bomber HC's can say they accomplished that.

Makes sense. Not sure we have the DB or DL right now though.

There are enough DL who will be available that can take 20-25 snaps a game.  Ideally we'd have 2 DL who can basically take a spot on the DL between them every down in a 40 front.  Labbe can play in a 30 front, that's 20 snaps.  Sherman isn't bad at playing dime.  We could stand to add NI's at all 3 spots on defence, and will absolutely need to if Muamba leaves.

Say what you want about Berry but he brought the Montreal model with him, 4 NI's on the oline, 1 on the DL, a safety and a receiver and he made the playoffs every year as a HC with us, not many Bomber HC's can say they accomplished that.

If we can find 4 NI OL who are ready to play this off-season with the addition of another team, great.  We have one guy who is an above average starter right now in Greaves, and even he is pretty inconsistent.

You might want to look into the "Montreal model."  Other than the last 5-6 years, Popp used import OL more than anyone, perhaps because of his experience with Baltimore.  It would be hard to pin Popp down to any blueprint, he drafts NI's who can play and he'll deploy them anywhere from CB to MLB to OT.  Berry was very rigid with how he deployed his NI's and didn't use many more than 7 players on offence or defence, the rest were strictly special teams.

If we can find 4 NI OL who are ready to play this off-season with the addition of another team, great.  We have one guy who is an above average starter right now in Greaves, and even he is pretty inconsistent.

That's all you really needed to say.

So Jake Thomas/A 2014 draft pick taking snaps at DT perhaps sharing a spot, with a mix of Labbe in a 3/4 front, Sherman as a dime versus playing say Neufeld at RT, Greaves at G, Swiston or Pencer at G and Sorenson or another NI at C?

If we want to have a good offence, we should plan to "start" 5 NI's on offence, 2 on defence.  If Pencer or Neufeld win the RT spot, great, Swiston is the better of the 3 so he'll probably end up being our RG by default.  We shouldn't rely on it.  That's a recipe for a bad season.  We really need to solidify the interior though.  For some reason the Mack/Lapo regime had this great fascination with the NI tackles and we've done nothing to procure or develop any interior guys other than Greaves and even Greaves was looked at as a tackle prospect.

I respect Penton’s opinion on protecting Poblah, although his reasoning is weak. IMO he’s weakness has been the types of routes he’s running and under-utilizing his strengths. Make him run a fade from an inside position or send him on a drag, but he needs to get his hands out in front of him in some open space. I think he needs to be a more consistent part of the blocking schemes on screen plays too.

He can catch. We've seen it. He had a decent second year here after missing most of 2011. 2013 has been inconsistent as well with another injury then being regulated to spot duty. With Watson and Kohlert taking most of the first team reps, he just hasn't had the opportunity to get back in there on a regular basis.

Guess you haven't been watching the same Poblah as I have. Injuries or not..you can't rely on him to get open, and if he does to make the catch. Guess that's why he is sitting on the bench.

How many times has he even seen any game reps this year in the offense? He is sitting on the bench because we currently have 2-3 NI receivers that are better than him.

He does have issues with getting open on a consistent basis, but he can be utilized better too.