Selinger promising to put fan-elected board in place

Uncle Bill

Bash Selinger and the NDP.  That's fine.  But not entirely relevant here.  The next Premier is going to want the same thing or something similar. .   

Look, we all knew that loan was never getting paid back.  It was only a matter of how long would they continue the charade and what would happen at the end.  well this is the beginning of the end game.  It might take 5 years to settle but the idea that the team would pay back $4 mill a year for the next generation and a half was always stretching the bounds of reason. 

Only way this idea works is if there is a pre-selected pool of "candidates" that the fans get to choose from. If it's an open-nomination situation where the fans get full selection on the board, God help us all.....

As far as I am concerned, the board has always had its own secret agenda.  They have already convinced the Premier to decrease their loan payments to $1 million even before a single dollar has been paid.  What happens next if we continue down this road?  There will be some other excuse, no doubt.  

However, saying one thing and actually implementing it are two different things.  Having a fan elected board will do no good, if the fans don't elect the right people, which is scary too. 

Not to critisize the Board or anything but since they said they were going to be more transparent and less hands on they have...

- Brought on a 13th Board member who by all accounts is a great addition but has also had many past dealing with the club and is well connected to the Board, while failing to acknowledge such. 

- Held a team HOF ceremony in which two back room boys and only one player were inducted.

- Obsfucated the issue of how the all season bubble disappeared from the stadium

- Continued to muddle the issue of cost overruns.   

- Swung a backroom deal with one of their own board members to fix the press box issue. 

Probably there are another 6 things I am either forgetting or don't know about. 

Whatever you think of the current Premier or whatever you will think of the next Premier I just feel like the current set up isn't working.  I am open to ideas, personally, 

I don't know.  Luxury boxes are one of the life bloods of professional sports teams.  I would think not getting paid for one for a couple of year's is far from ideal.  The fact they have to deal that kind of deal with one of their Board members is not promising. 

Fan elected - no way, not bald-faced open electing I hope. 

Something like what Noeller suggested, a pool of interested candidates, including, maybe former players, and knowledgeable STH, screened somehow. 

Probably through similar existing models, ala Sask. 

Or this forum could do it. :)

Only way this idea works is if there is a pre-selected pool of "candidates" that the fans get to choose from. If it's an open-nomination situation where the fans get full selection on the board, God help us all.....

A pre-selected pool of candidates chosen by whom?

Someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about (ie - not fans) -- Whether it's the government, or whatever. Fans are morons and can't be left in charge...

I don't know.  Luxury boxes are one of the life bloods of professional sports teams.  I would think not getting paid for one for a couple of year's is far from ideal.  The fact they have to deal that kind of deal with one of their Board members is not promising. 

Or you can look at it as an interest free (not sure if it is actually interest free) loan from Asper so they can get a press box done earlier so they can host a Grey Cup and have a chance of getting some extra revenue from hosting a Grey Cup to pull them out of this mess.

I do believe this closed board has to go.  They are running this organization into the ground, and quite honestly the way they mismanaged the stadium construction is absolutely ridiculous.  But how is that going to happen, who do they really answer to?  I'm also not a fan of the government getting in to decide how the board is run.    What alternative is there in this situation?   They've already borrowed from the bank for the other stadium upgrades.  Unlikely a financial institution is going to kick in more with their debt load.    

Bash Selinger and the NDP.  That's fine.  But not entirely relevant here.  The next Premier is going to want the same thing or something similar. .   

Look, we all knew that loan was never getting paid back.  It was only a matter of how long would they continue the charade and what would happen at the end.  well this is the beginning of the end game.  It might take 5 years to settle but the idea that the team would pay back $4 mill a year for the next generation and a half was always stretching the bounds of reason. 

Paul Wiecek ‏@PaulWiecek  5m 

Breaking - Bombers will make all loan payments in 2013; Wade Miller to Freep: "The WFC is on target to meet its financial obligations." #bn

Looks like the rumours are wrong.

A pre-selected pool of candidates chosen by whom?

Someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about (ie - not fans) -- Whether it's the government, or whatever. Fans are morons and can't be left in charge...

I wouldn't let any government agents near these selections.  You may as well keep the board the way it is if that's the case.