Selinger promising to put fan-elected board in place

Uncle Bill

Only way this idea works is if there is a pre-selected pool of "candidates" that the fans get to choose from. If it's an open-nomination situation where the fans get full selection on the board, God help us all.....

A pre-selected pool of candidates chosen by whom?

Someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about (ie - not fans) -- Whether it's the government, or whatever. Fans are morons and can't be left in charge...

I wouldn't let any government agents near these selections.  You may as well keep the board the way it is if that's the case.

The city and province both appoint board members currently.

Some strong arguments for communist dictatorship here from some of the most conservative posters.

Only way this idea works is if there is a pre-selected pool of "candidates" that the fans get to choose from. If it's an open-nomination situation where the fans get full selection on the board, God help us all.....

Someone who actually knows what the hell they're talking about (ie - not fans) -- Whether it's the government, or whatever. Fans are morons and can't be left in charge...

I wouldn't let any government agents near these selections.  You may as well keep the board the way it is if that's the case.

Some strong arguments for communist dictatorship here from some of the most conservative posters.

I'm curious who people feel should be at the very top of the food chain. At the end of the day, SOMEONE has to have final say. There has to be a top of the pyramid.......so who should it be??

This premier is a joke. Look for more acts of so called accountability as his arrogant party shuffles towards defeat. What a je

What can he do other than publicly complain?

Selinger and the NDP government couldn't wait to push Asper out and start throwing money at the team the first chance they got, and took all the glory they could.  Now the team is in the tank and the fans have turned on them, and Selinger jumps on the bandwagon and starts talking tough about how the Bombers are run.  He is just as responsible for their debt load as anyone in the world. Probably the most responsible, since they didn't really leave the team with any other option than to take their money (not like they didn't want to).

Therein lies the problem.

Unfortunately the bombers can't be helped by a few VLTs.

The location prohibits private development in the area.

Private ownership makes sense except for the debt load which would have to be forgiven.

Maybe Selinger is looking for a gig after he loses the next election.

Fans choosing board members makes sense on paper but fans are often the least likely people to make good decisions about sports teams. Most fans have never played pro sports or run big business and feel their passion make them qualified. Let's not go down that route.

I don't know much, but I do know the fastest way to screw something up is to let government run it.  They'll be still arguing over their climate change policy, and how many disabled trangendered Asian people need to be on the board to be ensure no discrimination, while the team has given up and moved to Saskatoon.

Good points rebus rankin

I think the answer to 1 is yes. Even the government acknowledged this to a degree by their willingness to turn over the team to private ownership.

I'd like to see some creative solution to answering the team debt. If the government assumes the debt and maintains de facto ownership of the stadium but sells the team how much can they generate to off set the $80 million or so? Would a ticket surcharge be enough to cover the rest of the debt?

If you take away the $80 million or $90 million - whatever it is - this team is likely very attractive to private ownership. The revenue they can generate yearly is significant enough. Id suspect under that model Asper would write a cheque tomorrow.

I'd still love to know if True North has any interest.

This might be the worst Bomber idea I've ever heard.  That is not hyperbole.

Meet your new organization...

CEO:  Gary Lawless

GM: Duane Forde

HC: Matt Dunigan, who after four games will get fired then replaced by Greg Marshall, who will then after his four games be replaced by Khari Jones.  Now since Jones is still loved, he'll get five games before getting canned.  Then we'll replace him with Tim Burke, because everyone knows he just didn't get a fair shake from Mack and is secretly a brilliant head coach in waiting. 

---

I'm aware that a fan board wouldn't have this type of control.  The lesson here is still that it would be nothing more than an utter trainwreck.  To  put it bluntly, fans are dumb and make bad decisions.  Listen to any radio call-in show and imagine their ideas on this team.  I can see them bickering at the board meeting now..."We need to hire the first guy that promises to bring in Casey Printers at QB..."

This idea better burn to death immediately.

It pains me to suggest it but I like what I know about the Rider's ownership model. As I believe it, the team sold shares and the shareholders vote on the board of directors. The board of directors doesn't have a say in day to day football operations, just responsible for putting the right people in charge and managing the business.

If WFC sold shares that money could pay off the debt and we would truly become a community owned team.

The statement of meeting the financial obligations of 2013 is a joke...trickery and a play on words. Sure they will meet their obligations. Any repayment has now been delayed until 2014. I for one don't like to be played. That is exactly what Miller is trying to do by making that misleading statement.

The statement of meeting the financial obligations of 2013 is a joke...trickery and a play on words. Sure they will meet their obligations. Any repayment has now been delayed until 2014. I for one don't like to be played. That is exactly what Miller is trying to do by making that misleading statement.

It's actually 2017 before they start fully paying off the loan co-signed by the province.  5 years behind schedule.

How many actually read Lawless' article? I believe he said Selinger would bring in changes to the team's governance if they defaulted on a loan payment and it says that the change would be using the Green Bay/Saskatchewan models. It seems to me that's exactly what a number of people were calling for the Bombers to do. 

I think that's lame. How much have we paid already? Now we're going to pay even more for a worthless piece of paper and the right to vote from a pre selected bunch of hand picked board members? Anyone who falls for that is an idiot.

That would be thousands of Packer and Rider fans then.

It all boils down to the Board finding the right person to run the team. If they do that & we start winning, we'll pack IGF for years to come. If the Bombers do what they've done for the most part since Cal Murphy left after the 1995 season & hire people who never should have been hired then this team will continue to struggle on the field & at the gate... If it's business as usual meaning the hiring of friends over the person who is right for the job... or... hiring inexperienced people because they come cheap, we'll continue to lose... For example, if they hire Walters over say, a guy like Higgins it will be inexcusable. And we will know nothing's changed. My question is who hires the President? Who is going to tell Miller he's not the right fit if he isn't? Who has the guts to??