Selinger promising to put fan-elected board in place

Uncle Bill

I think that's lame. How much have we paid already? Now we're going to pay even more for a worthless piece of paper and the right to vote from a pre selected bunch of hand picked board members? Anyone who falls for that is an idiot.

Is it because you're against the with general principle of the reasoning or are you are still tight with (a) Buck?

I think that's lame. How much have we paid already? Now we're going to pay even more for a worthless piece of paper and the right to vote from a pre selected bunch of hand picked board members? Anyone who falls for that is an idiot.

That would be thousands of Packer and Rider fans then.

I wonder if has heard of the epic poem titled "The Illiad" by Homer?, 

or, of the soon to be classic "The Idiot" by Homer Simpson?

Valuable reading for all non-Green Bay-Sask football fans.

So much to learb. So time.

The statement of meeting the financial obligations of 2013 is a joke...trickery and a play on words. Sure they will meet their obligations. Any repayment has now been delayed until 2014. I for one don't like to be played. That is exactly what Miller is trying to do by making that misleading statement.

i love how you are taking it like a personal affront to you.. like yer a mafia boss and the bombers are renegging on the agreement..

what exactly are you so bothered by? that 6 instead of 5 of your tax dollars will.be funding a football stadium and team you apparently love?

smh.

One story about Sask's Board of Directors

Lifelong Rider fan joins team

Laurie Powers finds her prestige has increased -- at least in her household -- now that she is a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders' board of directors.

BY THE STARPHOENIX (SASKATOON)JANUARY 2, 2009

237501-89445.jpg

Laurie Powers finds her prestige has increased -- at least in her household -- now that she is a member of the Saskatchewan Roughriders' board of directors.

Brian and Laurie Powers' nine-year-old son, Easton, is highly impressed. "(Easton) has pretty much scooped my husband's season ticket, so we'll be adding an additional seat (in 2009)," says a chuckling Powers, who watches the games in Section 40 at Mosaic Stadium. "Mom is very cool now that she's on the Rider board. He had kind of started to get to the age where Dad is cooler than Mom, but I found a way to regain some bonding experiences with him. He's a diehard now. He knows more than I do.''

Powers's other child, 17-year-old Nicole, is also a Roughriders fan7. Given the affinity for football in the family, Laurie Powers notes that there was "a pile of green under the Christmas tree."

Laurie Powers, a lifelong Saskatchewanian, lived in Melville (where she grew up) and Saskatoon before moving to the Regina area in 2000. The 40-year-old Powers, a chartered accountant who resides in Deer Valley, is the chief financial officer for Victoria Park Capital Inc.

"I've always been a Rider fan," she says. "I grew up a couple of hours outside of Regina, so we didn't have the means to attend football games in person growing up, but we were always around the television set and radio, following the games.

"Once I moved to Regina, I became a season-ticket holder. Once I joined the board, I obviously became a shareholder. It has kind of been a staple of my life, let's put it that way."

Powers joined the board in April of 2008. She is one of two women on the 11-person board, with the other being Twyla Meredith.

"I think (being on the board) enhances the experience," she says. "It certainly makes it a big difference. Before, where you were maybe quite vocal about things, you're a little less vocal. You realize it's maybe not quite as simple as being an armchair quarterback the whole time and realize that there's a lot more to it than what you necessarily see when you're just watching it in the stands."

Powers is in the minority on the board in that she does not have a Grey Cup ring. Powers, Doug Emsley and Dennis Mulvihill are outnumbered by the board members who volunteered their time during the Grey Cup season of 2007.

"There's no love lost around the board," Powers says lightheartedly. "They make sure that, with the three who are new this year, they rub it in our faces at all times. It's really unfortunate that we weren't part of that experience, but next year . . ."

RIDERS' BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Rob Pletch, Regina (chair)

Chair, MacPherson Leslie & Tyerman law firm

Roger Brandvold, Regina (vice-chair)

Senior vice-president, Connor, Clark & Lunn

Private Capital Ltd.

Doug Emsley, Regina

President, Emsley & Associates

Grant Gayton, Regina

President and chief executive officer,

PrintWest Communications Ltd.

Paul Hill, Regina

Chair, president and chief executive officer,

The Hill Companies,

including Harvard Developments Inc.

Twyla Meredith, Regina

Acting president and chief executive officer,

Saskatchewan Gaming Corporation

Dennis Mulvihill, Regina

Managing director, RBC Capital Markets

Rory Picklyk, Saskatoon

Vice-president, Stantec Architecture Ltd.

Laurie Powers, Deer Valley

Chief financial officer, Victoria Park Capital Inc.

Doug Rogers, Regina

President and co-owner, Terra Developments Inc.

Mayo Schmidt, Regina

President and chief executive officer, Viterra

º BOARD AT A GLANCE

Q Candidates for the Riders' board are brought forward in three ways -- by a nominating committee, by existing board members and by shareholders who are contacted by mail in advance of the annual meeting.

Q The nominating committee consists of past presidents or past chairs who reside in Saskatchewan.

Q Candidates are selected to fill vacancies as board members' three-year terms expire.

Q Shareholders have the option of voting for or against each candidate on the slate.

Q The board meets five to six times per year -- usually in Regina. The board has four standing committees (audit and finance, human resources, marketing, and governance). In addition, a special committee has been dedicated to Mosaic Stadium renewal.

Q Directors, who volunteer their time, typically serve on two committees which meet five to six times per year. Directors typically spend more time on committee work than they do at the board table. "It's maybe the equivalent of 14 to 18 working days,'' says board chair Rob Pletch.

http://www.canada.com/story_print.html?id=d39fa6e4-d4cf-43a6-b38d-99737bfa14ce&sponsor=

term limits can be good and bad though, could force a really good person out just because their term is up. The biggest key is to have the right people on the board. Or if you have the right CEO then no one talks about the board either. We never talked about the board when Lyle Bauer was here cause there was no question who was in charge of the team, but after the disaster that was MIke Kelly it seems they've been in the spot light a lot more, especially with the sillyness surrounding the stadium... I would suspect that if they leave Miller in the CEO job that we'll wind up talking less and less about the board because there will actually be someone very clearly who is the man in charge. 

Packers are certainly different than the Bombers.

Seems like more of a gimmick to me and Im not sure it would generate a ton of cash.  The last thing Winnipeg needs is Bombers' fans who think they are even more empowered because of the one $10 share they own.

And I agree that the term limit is both good and bad.  Can a board member be re-upped via vote?  If you have a good board member, I would want to keep them.

In theory the current situation should work because the Province and City (who appoint members) should be very vested in ther success of the team.

I also agree that a good CEO is the important part of this.

Selinger just likes the word accountability.  He certainly doesn't practice it in reality though.  The recent spat with Osborne House being just the latest example.

Also, what does Buck have to do with this at all?

term limits can be good and bad though, could force a really good person out just because their term is up.

They aren't term limits. They can be re-elected to the Board for multiple terms.

I'm thinking it'd be something like school trustees...win by acclamation every four years.