2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

13 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah, the ratio rule among others. 

I could definitely handle reducing the ratio a bit, but would never want to see it done away with entirely. If I were commish I'd reduce the ratio by 2 starters and make the new reward for most Canadian snaps by season's end more substantial (1st rounder instead of 2nd rounder maybe?). We'd get 2 arguably better players on the field, likely improving the quality of play, while incentivizing playing the best homegrown talent as often as possible

9 minutes ago, MOBomberFan said:

I could definitely handle reducing the ratio a bit, but would never want to see it done away with entirely. If I were commish I'd reduce the ratio by 2 starters and make the new reward for most Canadian snaps by season's end more substantial (1st rounder instead of 2nd rounder maybe?). We'd get 2 arguably better players on the field, likely improving the quality of play, while incentivizing playing the best homegrown talent as often as possible

Keep the Canadian starters the same but add 2 more DI's to replace 2 Canadian back ups.

Just now, MOBomberFan said:

been around 30 changes to ratio since like back in 30's...not like it hasnt been happening....even since 60's there been a lot....we used to have that Naturalized Canadian for a while in the 60's as well...I sure @SpeedFlex27 could speak on that....they did away with it after a while, U could have 3 but I believe a lesser tlaented guy lost his job due to it, so went crying to the courts....am I correct @SpeedFlex27 ?

So ratio issues and reductions have been an ongoing thing since before the league became the CFL in the 50's...and after it...and the game is better for it...I get the love of the Canadians being employed, but if one is to think some of the guys who play teams only, are better than American counterparts who get cut because only so many Imports can start then you are sadly mistaken....and the whole point of what I am making is many talented guys say thanks but no thanks, and won't come...and it's too bad as many would likely push already established American starters out of their spot....or to a back-up role..

Just now, Blue In BC said:

Keep the Canadian starters the same but add 2 more DI's to replace 2 Canadian back ups.

that would help a lot actually...sometimes now the quality of back-up to a Cnadian is a severe down grade

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

been around 30 changes to ratio since like back in 30's...not like it hasnt been happening....even since 60's there been a lot....we used to have that Naturalized Canadian for a while in the 60's as well...I sure @SpeedFlex27 could speak on that....they did away with it after a while, U could have 3 but I believe a lesser tlaented guy lost his job due to it, so went crying to the courts....am I correct @SpeedFlex27 ?

That is super interesting, I didn't know that!

58 minutes ago, Booch said:

u have zero clue what u natter about at the best of times...let alone this...shhhh

rtio has been nshrinking for decades...if anything the game over all is better....no?....and if isnt...why u still watch?

I watch because I like the rules that make it unique. The ratio being one of them

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

The fact remains, American players aren't getting edged out by less talented Canadians for roster spots. They're up against fellow Americans for import slots and work visas, no more, no less. To snag one of those limited import roster spots you've got to outperform all others (American and Canadian) in your position and prove your value to the team overall. It's as straightforward as that. Having limited roster spots for international players is common world wide aside from the big 4 north american leagues.

And your post doesn't even touch on the point I'm driving at! 😆

Yes, they are. Teams, like us, have been starting more nis then required. That doesn’t include back ups. Americans and Canadians compete against each other for back up spots as di/american. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

Yeah, the ratio rule among others. 

It does, but it’s a fine balance. The quality on the field it self would and has improved with being reduced and augmented. But the enjoyment of the league is greater with Canadians and with Canada producing better and better talent.

The fact we can’t keep most of the top 10 ish best players (or where ever the elite cut off is each year) and the fact barely Canadian guys shoot to the top of the draft even as fringe players in the ncaa tells you all you need to know about the talent level. I love that we have Canadians in the game, I wouldn’t want the game with out it. But it would be better in terms of on field quality. 

45 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So those players on the six game, we could bring them back early but no salary savings correct or do we have to sit them week 1?

I think what said earlier by dt was they have to miss one week. You can revoke the 6 Game but I don’t think you can before missing at least one game.

38 minutes ago, Blue In BC said:

This would be fantastic. Personally I think one more ni or global as well would be good. 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yes, they are. Teams, like us, have been starting more nis then required. That doesn’t include back ups. Americans and Canadians compete against each other for back up spots as di/american. 

Unless we're not utilizing all the American roster spots no one is losing an opportunity to a Canadian. Based on our success since 2019 I can't fault our coaches on their usage of Canadian starters and DIs, that would be asinine.

Just now, wbbfan said:

This would be fantastic. Personally I think one more ni or global as well would be good. 

Reducing roster spots for Canadians will negatively impact the development of Canadian players. You may be more interested in the NFL, check it out

Just now, Pepper_Brooks said:

Unless we're not utilizing all the American roster spots no one is losing an opportunity to a Canadian. Based on our success since 2019 I can't fault our coaches on their usage of Canadian starters and DIs, that would be asinine.

Have you paid attention to the past two years? We specifically got an extra pick then year for doing that that. And yes, Americans compete with Canadians for back up spots. 
 We’ve literally di’d guys not to use them at all. You can bury your head in the sand if you like, but doesn’t change the fact we haven’t gotten the most out of the roster. We’ve refused to use the naturalized American as well. 

2 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Have you paid attention to the past two years? We specifically got an extra pick then year for doing that that. And yes, Americans compete with Canadians for back up spots. 
 We’ve literally di’d guys not to use them at all. You can bury your head in the sand if you like, but doesn’t change the fact we haven’t gotten the most out of the roster. We’ve refused to use the naturalized American as well. 

We've been to 4 straight Grey Cups, we've unarguably been the best team in the league for around 1647 days straight. What's your point here exactly? Seems like we've utilized our roster within the constraints pretty damn well, couple lucky bounces and we're 4peat champs. Proof is in the pudding, not sure what you're eating lol. 

1 minute ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

We've been to 4 straight Grey Cups, we've unarguably been the best team in the league for around 1647 days straight. What's your point here exactly? Seems like we've utilized our roster within the constraints pretty damn well, couple lucky bounces and we're 4peat champs. Proof is in the pudding, not sure what you're eating lol. 

What’s your point? You’re the one moving the goal posts to cover up a bad take. 

10 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Reducing roster spots for Canadians will negatively impact the development of Canadian players. You may be more interested in the NFL, check it out

If u are say starting 2 Canadian relievers...and a new import comes up and blows them out of the water...but is cut ...because there isn't adequate Canadian depth elsewhere...then yes...u just lost a roster spot to a less talented player...and it happens all the time...and it deters guys coming up who would be Allstars in their first yr

13 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Most the top talent in the CFL come from U.S schools...many of which spent the final yrs of high-school at U.S prep schools...there are some for sure who came out of CIS but they are the minority in terms of impact guys...but they fill out the required depth

4 minutes ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

Could have won the other 2...there a point..and couple lucky bounces and we could have been 1 for 4 too...goes both ways

1 hour ago, Pepper_Brooks said:

I'm confident it will yet again display  the glaring reality that nobody around these parts has a flipping clue about professional football. And how could they, when their exposure is limited to just one game per week and a handful of media snippets and Tweets (X's?)? Such a massive information disparity compared to the coaches and GMs making the actual decisions.

You say this here, but then are dictating that the league and teams dont know how to coach tackling or prevent concussions as well as you. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

You say this here, but then are dictating that the league and teams dont know how to coach tackling or prevent concussions as well as you. 

You went from saying Americans who don’t come north to play in the cfl aren’t good enough, to Americans never lose spots to Canadians, to our roster use is infallible. I’m not surprised you’re confused having moved them soo much in little over one page of discussion lmao 

3 minutes ago, Booch said:

If u are say starting 2 Canadian relievers...and a new import comes up and blows them out of the water...but is cut ...because there isn't adequate Canadian depth elsewhere...then yes...u just lost a roster spot to a less talented player...and it happens all the time...and it deters guys coming up who would be Allstars in their first yr

You lost a roster spot to a less talented American, because some other American player provides more overall value to the team in that American roster spot. If a player is truly blowing it out of the water they will find a way into the roster.

American players are the exception not the rule in the CFL. This is our League 🇨🇦

Just now, Pepper_Brooks said:

You lost a roster spot to a less talented American, because some other American player provides more overall value to the team in that American roster spot. If a player is truly blowing it out of the water they will find a way into the roster.

American players are the exception not the rule in the CFL. This is our League 🇨🇦

U just don't get it

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

You went from saying Americans who don’t come north to play in the cfl aren’t good enough

I never made that point, I've never been talking about Americans who don't come North lol. I thought we were having different convos, even said that earlier. 

1 minute ago, Booch said:

U just don't get it

How so? You haven't made a coherent point. You understand there are different roster spot allocations for Canadian, American, and Global players right? CFL.ca can explain it for U...

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Dictating? Lol what are you on today 😂 I don't know anything about tackling or preventing concussions but I've read articles from people who do and repeated the points experts have made repeatedly over the years. I could cite my source but then you'd complain I moved the goal posts by using MLA style instead of IEEE 

3 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

And? You gotta come North to compete for that roster spot in training camp don'tcha? How do you read that as me saying Americans who don’t come north to play in the cfl aren’t good enough. That's not and has never been what I'm saying lol you're arguing against yourself with that kind of logical leap

So if Biggie is out week one, who goes in for him? Do they start Gauthier? Move Kyrie to MLB and start Cole at Will? I'd be surprised if they start a rookie linebacker week one. Refresh my memory, Wickman started as a rookie but have we had a rookie linebacker start since?

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

So those players on the six game, we could bring them back early but no salary savings correct or do we have to sit them week 1?

They must sit Week 1 at least.

Correct on the ability to come off early for no cap savings.

2 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So if Biggie is out week one, who goes in for him? Do they start Gauthier? Move Kyrie to MLB and start Cole at Will? I'd be surprised if they start a rookie linebacker week one. Refresh my memory, Wickman started as a rookie but have we had a rookie linebacker start since?

Two possibilities from camp:

1) Gauthier swaps in for Bighill at MIKE. 

2) Wilson moves to MIKE, Brian Cole at WILL