2024 Blue Bomber Training Camp

16 minutes ago, bluedawg said:

Probably 50/50 if Bennett is back in blue. I think you guys are a little down on him, understandably so. He was decent on special teams just gave the team nothing on defense

I think he's done with football completely.

The fact it got to the physicals suggests he showed up in bad shape.

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

Schemekel stays over Bennett?

Man, Bennett was a terrible pick.

Bennett was an undersized pick that basically needed to get some muscle on his bones. I am thinking the Bombers gave him a timeline to do that or they were gonna cut bait and he didn't git er dun.

31 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

If you watched Bennet play last year you'd know why that's a bad bet.

He just doesn't belong in the CFL. He stood out in a bad way while on the field.

Bennet was a low upside guy as well. He was like 26? When we drafted him. He had some bend and quickness that they hoped would translate to being an early rotational candidate and teams player. Only he wasn’t nearly good enough. 
 This is a great cut. And a great sign for the team this year. 

Schmekel they probably want to have more inside bodies. Iirc mos talked in a video earlier this year about what they like about him. Big body Canadians are worth keeping around if you think you can develop them. Seems fine for a tc body but barring injury or mass improvement I would expect him to be cut at some point. 

10 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I think he's done with football completely.

The fact it got to the physicals suggests he showed up in bad shape.

I think it was a matter of body size but tomatoes tomahtoes.

1 minute ago, wbbfan said:

Bennet was a low upside guy as well. He was like 26? When we drafted him. He had some bend and quickness that they hoped would translate to being an early rotational candidate and teams player. Only he wasn’t nearly good enough. 
 This is a great cut. And a great sign for the team this year. 

Schmekel they probably want to have more inside bodies. Iirc mos talked in a video earlier this year about what they like about him. Big body Canadians are worth keeping around if you think you can develop them. Seems fine for a tc body but barring injury or mass improvement I would expect him to be cut at some point. 

Bennett just got completely manhandled last year. I don't think his skill level was a problem but if you don't have the strength you don't have the strength.

Just now, GCn20 said:

and skill....drafting a guy who is 26 that was good...but not dominant vs 18..19...and 20 yr olds is a stupid stupid draft pick...plain and simpole...and this outcome was obvious

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Not a shock to me....and I even said way back that he shouldnt even be in camp taking reps from someone else....piss poor draft pick...lesson learned

I cant see any of Scmeckle...Kornelson on the roster....even on depth chart...Ideally I'd like to see Lawson and Samson on roster as the cnadian DT depth if we chose to roster 2, and Fatboi on the 6 game or PR...those other 2 will amount to diddly, neither will surpass Lawson or Samson and are just dead weight

Gut tells me we may go....and should go import heavy on the dline surrounding Lawson and if Ford....or god help us Kramdi are starting at SAM or Ford atcorner for 8 canadians we see a lot of all import fronts...

Bad picks happen, the Bombers didn't hang onto him out of ego though. Mistake corrected.

2 minutes ago, Booch said:

and skill....drafting a guy who is 26 that was good...but not dominant vs 18..19...and 20 yr olds is a stupid stupid draft pick...plain and simpole...and this outcome was obvious

He had some upside IF he added 25 lbs of muscle. The Bombers should not have rolled the dice that he would do so at his age. In fairness with all the covid effect on the draft, last year's draft class was abysmal all around. A guy like Bennett in any other year is maybe a late 3rd round pick.

Edited by GCn20

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

Bennett just got completely manhandled last year. I don't think his skill level was a problem but if you don't have the strength you don't have the strength.

At end you’re on average giving up 70lbs. Not getting mangled is skill, it’s hand use, ability to maintain separation, moves to get an angle etc. 

Just now, GCn20 said:

Bad picks happen, the Bombers didn't hang onto him out of ego though. Mistake corrected.

yup...good sign, and maybe we are shifting away from the loyalty/reward mind set, and theb"he practices hard" thing...if a guy isnt he shouldnt be here anyway...I could go into camp and practice hard...say the right things....take reps all over the field helping out other positions.....and if they rostered me and I took up a spot I would be disgusted and imagine the laugher on here! lol 

At end you’re on average giving up 70lbs. Not getting mangled is skill, it’s hand use, ability to maintain separation, moves to get an angle etc. 

Yes, but you still have to have the strength to be able to get off your block in the run game, and at least be able to push your OT back or at least maintain your ground so that the opposing QB doesn't have a huge escape gap. He couldn't even do that.

3 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

He had some upside IF he added 25 lbs of muscle. The Bombers should not have rolled the dice that he would do so at his age.

Tbh I never saw the motor from him that you need to succeed at end, especially here. Guys who lack that don’t improve skills or put in the work to change their physique. The first time you do it is pretty easy and the benefits are great, idk if he’d done it in the past but it didn’t seem like it. 

bad player from bad draft cut in 2nd camp we’ve been here before. I’m excited to see our current guys and new picks. 

Tbh I never saw the motor from him that you need to succeed at end, especially here. Guys who lack that don’t improve skills or put in the work to change their physique. The first time you do it is pretty easy and the benefits are great, idk if he’d done it in the past but it didn’t seem like it. 

bad player from bad draft cut in 2nd camp we’ve been here before. I’m excited to see our current guys and new picks. 

The fact he is gone bodes well for us I would think.  Obviously we got NATs way more worthy of a roster spot in the coaching and mgmts opinion.

Feel like we will be in the market for more DEs right now. 6 ends vs 9 dts. 

Pretty happy with our off season ol work. Didn’t think Wallace would be in camp thought he’d get an nfl look. I expect a lot out of Vanterpool and Coleman. I would not be surprised if one is the starter to replace Hardrick. Keith is a good talent too, and while I’m not a fan of Lofton atleast he does bring experience and is very far from a default pick at rt. 

I wonder if we add another K now as well

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Feel like we will be in the market for more DEs right now. 6 ends vs 9 dts. 

Pretty happy with our off season ol work. Didn’t think Wallace would be in camp thought he’d get an nfl look. I expect a lot out of Vanterpool and Coleman. I would not be surprised if one is the starter to replace Hardrick. Keith is a good talent too, and while I’m not a fan of Lofton atleast he does bring experience and is very far from a default pick at rt. 

I wonder if we add another K now as well

Watching Hamilton to see what happens with the DEs 

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I do wonder what happened to Kongbo, though. Seems he has dropped out of football altogether. Pity. that.

I think he’s in the same spot as grant and Jj. He probably wants top dollar and not to be on a crap team but the good teams that could use him won’t start him or pay him big bucks. Shame indeed. I’d love him back. 

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Looks like you had the numbers more or less bang on, but they didn’t cut the four “no shows”, probably just suspended

Fayad, DL Jordan Lewis, DL David Green, Randolph, WR Bryce Mitchell, WR Keontaye Thompson, K Jose Borregales and …. Anthony Bennett 

Yeah, I didnt think about suspednding those guys but thats a smart move.

If they decided not to show up why give them the courtesy of cutting them so they can just sign with another team.

I wouldnt be surprised though if Fayad is re-signed when he is able to practice again. 

2 hours ago, bluedawg said:

Teams are only allowed to have two vets go on that injured list. Otherwise you are putting guys on the 6-game IL right now to open up spots and then they have to miss at least the first four games of the regular season. 

Thanks, where did you get this info? Was that included in the last CBA?

2 hours ago, GCn20 said:

He had some upside IF he added 25 lbs of muscle. The Bombers should not have rolled the dice that he would do so at his age. In fairness with all the covid effect on the draft, last year's draft class was abysmal all around. A guy like Bennett in any other year is maybe a late 3rd round pick.

Is it even a mistake? There’s like one guy drafted after him that is relevant in the league and it’s Barnes who got taken almost 20 picks later

19 minutes ago, Mike said:

Is it even a mistake? There’s like one guy drafted after him that is relevant in the league and it’s Barnes who got taken almost 20 picks later

I totally understand what they were going for. Hoping he could improve a bit and contribute situationally. Is what it is. 
 Excited as hell about this draft class though. 
 Just ike and manu not in camp.