Game 43: Vs. Long Island

11 hours ago, iHeart said:

and we shall get our cushy first place spot in the league back

Technically we never lost it as Vancouver has played 1 extra game and have the same points. Our points percentage would be higher. For example if season ended we would be 1st regardless. And if you look at the central, Colorado has 1 less point but looks like they have played 2 more games than us. 

Edited by Goalie

8 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I wonder what the rule is when a goalie's skate blade comes off during play and when/if it needs to be whistled down?

I think it’s tough sh!t.  Just like a broken stick or when a Dman or forward blows a tire… They don’t stop the play.  You’re on your own.

2 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I think it’s tough sh!t.  Just like a broken stick or when a Dman or forward blows a tire… They don’t stop the play.  You’re on your own.

I'm thinking for this specific position where a goalie's skate blade comes off during play is different (safety issues etc) than the scenarios you present but hey I could be wrong and maybe it is tough luck.

Regardless I have Pionk in my hockey pool, it helped the Jets win so it all worked out but I'm a curious guy by nature.

2 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I'm thinking for this specific position where a goalie's skate blade comes off during play is different (safety issues etc) than the scenarios you present but hey I could be wrong and maybe it is tough luck.

Regardless I have Pionk in my hockey pool, it helped the Jets win so it all worked out but I'm a curious guy by nature.

You’re right that goalies get special treatment, and I don’t actually know what the rule is or if there is one.  I just feel/assume they should have to deal with it like everyone else.

A couple years ago Helle was lying in his crease with no mask on and the refs somehow allowed the play to continue and we eventually got scored on.  I’d have been pretty pissed off if they blew that play down last night.

34 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

You’re right that goalies get special treatment, and I don’t actually know what the rule is or if there is one.  I just feel/assume they should have to deal with it like everyone else.

A couple years ago Helle was lying in his crease with no mask on and the refs somehow allowed the play to continue and we eventually got scored on.  I’d have been pretty pissed off if they blew that play down last night.

Recently (Saturday?) I heard mention that they won't blow the play dead if there's "an imminent scoring chance" even if the goalie has equipment issues. In the case they were talking about the goalie had lost his glove.

44 minutes ago, Stretch said:

Recently (Saturday?) I heard mention that they won't blow the play dead if there's "an imminent scoring chance" even if the goalie has equipment issues. In the case they were talking about the goalie had lost his glove.

It's the Hellebuyck rule! If you lose your helmet and are lying on the ice like you're out - play is allowed to continue :P

As far as I know (based only on what I have seen in the past) if a goalie mask comes off they blow the play dead pretty much immediately, but that may be subject to “immediate scoring chance” which would have to be basically simultaneous given how quick the whistle is usually on that type of play. As for other equipment, any skater loses a blade, the play goes on, so probably the same for the goalie. But where another player breaks his stick and must drop it right away, goalies are allowed to play with a broken stick (presumably because they can’t go to the bench to retrieve one, and no other player can bring them a stick from the bench).  So there may be a different rule for goalies here too, but I am unaware of it if it exists. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever