Free Agent Exodus

DR. CFL

Well as indicated by the Sun article today a number of players, as expected are not going to resign now and will test the market. This really comes as no surprise, and you can't really blame them given the chaotic atmosphere they have been subjected to.

Typical Sun headline...hardly an exodus!....not so sure it is about the chaotic atmosphere...more like MONEY!

Well as indicated by the Sun article today a number of players, as expected are not going to resign now and will test the market. This really comes as no surprise, and you can't really blame them given the chaotic atmosphere they have been subjected to.

Typical Sun headline...hardly an exodus!....not so sure it is about the chaotic atmosphere...more like MONEY!

The lack of winning and negative atmosphere plays as large a roll in attracting and retaining players as money does .. what incentive does a top tier free agent have to stay in (or come to) Winnipeg when there's little chance of making the playoffs (and making the extra coin associated with a post season birth)?  If two contracts are being considered, both offering similar money, what would entice someone to join an organization that's constantly under the microscope and in a state of continual change?

The lack of winning and negative atmosphere plays as large a roll in attracting and retaining players as money does .. what incentive does a top tier free agent have to stay in (or come to) Winnipeg when there's little chance of making the playoffs (and making the extra coin associated with a post season birth)?  If two contracts are being considered, both offering similar money, what would entice someone to join an organization that's constantly under the microscope and in a state of continual change?

There are too many other factors that don't necessarily make these decisions that simple...one example...chance of making the team and being a starter...but in the end it still boils down to money for these guys. If a guy is sitting at home and not working and gets a chance to be on a team in turmoil or not and get a pay cheque...what do you think he would pick?

There are too many other factors that don't necessarily make these decisions that simple...one example...chance of making the team and being a starter...but in the end it still boils down to money for these guys. If a guy is sitting at home and not working and gets a chance to be on a team in turmoil or not and get a pay cheque...what do you think he would pick?

So we can sign the guys sitting on the couch with nothing better to do.

But can we sign the guys with other options?

So we can sign the guys sitting on the couch with nothing better to do.

But can we sign the guys with other options?

Obviously we can...for the $$...which will happen before next year  ;)

I think we all assumed Matthews would be NFL bound after this year.  If anything, our chances of having him back next year have risen since he's had such a write-off season. 

Hall, what can you say?  He was always sort of over-qualified for the CFL.  And his play on the field has backed that up. 

And Muamba, that one's going to hurt. 

It all just underlines to me what a massive job the next GM has here. 

I’d like to see Matthews and Hall back, but in all honesty it’s not terribly hard to recruit either position.  We’ll see some good competition in camp either way at those spots.  I would say an adequate replacement could be found for Matthews a little easier than it could be for Hall.

Muamba’s situation is a little more tricky, although if they have already offered him Shea Emery-like money, without any competition of knowing what his value is, I would guess we aren’t prepared to stop there, and will compete hard to re-sign him.

I think we all assumed Matthews would be NFL bound after this year.  If anything, our chances of having him back next year have risen since he's had such a write-off season. 

Hall, what can you say?  He was always sort of over-qualified for the CFL.  And his play on the field has backed that up. 

And Muamba, that one's going to hurt. 

It all just underlines to me what a massive job the next GM has here. 

Max Hall is overqualified? ;)

Missed the point of my reply .. what top tier free agent is concerned about whether or not they will be a starter?  What top tier free agent is going to be sitting at home? 

So again, all things being equal .. if I'm a coveted free agent .. being offered two contracts for similar money .. where do I go .. a team that's a hot mess .. or one where there is a winning atmosphere and culture?  Sure you can overpay for free agents - offer premium cash incentives - but then you run the risk of being hard up against the cap with little flexbility and depth.

I’d like to see Matthews and Hall back, but in all honesty it’s not terribly hard to recruit either position.  We’ll see some good competition in camp either way at those spots.  I would say an adequate replacement could be found for Matthews a little easier than it could be for Hall.

Muamba’s situation is a little more tricky, although if they have already offered him Shea Emery-like money, without any competition of knowing what his value is, I would guess we aren’t prepared to stop there, and will compete hard to re-sign him.

I'd argue that Matthews has already been replaced by Aaron Kelly.

Missed the point of my reply .. what top tier free agent is concerned about whether or not they will be a starter?  What top tier free agent is going to be sitting at home? 

So again, all things being equal .. if I'm a coveted free agent .. being offered two contracts for similar money .. where do I go .. a team that's a hot mess .. or one where there is a winning atmosphere and culture?  Sure you can overpay for free agents - offer premium cash incentives - but then you run the risk of being hard up against the cap with little flexbility and depth.

No I didn't miss your point...you never mentioned top tier free agent....now you are, and using that to try and change the fact that for players it is follow the $$. Teams do not usually stay in a disorganized state like the bombers have been in this year. So if you really want to say that disorganization rules over $$, then maybe we can agree that $$ comes first, disorganization issues come second given two exact same scenarios with two different teams.

No I didn't miss your point...you never mentioned top tier free agent....now you are, and using that to try and change the fact that for players it is follow the $$. Teams do not usually stay in a disorganized state like the bombers have been in this year. So if you really want to say that disorganization rules over $$, then maybe we can agree that $$ comes first, disorganization issues come second given two exact same scenarios with two different teams.

*cough*

(see bolded comment)

There's a new CBA coming and the SMS is definitely going up with the new tv deal, not to mention a ninth player in free agency. Forget the Bombers issues - if I'm a solid player (forget a potential all-star NI) and my team was 12-0 right now and my agent signed an extension I'd fire him on the spot. Even fringe guys are going to get huge raises. Nature of supply and demand.