Manitoba Politics

Wideleft

This guy is such a slimeball.

Environment Minister Kevin Klein's claim to be Métis denounced by brother, Manitoba Métis Federation

Premier Heather Stefanson said Klein is 1 of 2 Indigenous members of her caucus

Posted: Jul 31, 2023 6:00 AM CDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kevin-klein-indigenous-manitoba-government-1.6876688

"This idea that it's a personal journey and no one can question it … it's BS, right? We shouldn't give it credit. And so if he's on a personal journey for six to eight years, trying to find an Indigenous identity somewhere, then personally, I think he should shut up about it until he figures it out," Teillet said.

42 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

This guy is such a slimeball.

Environment Minister Kevin Klein's claim to be Métis denounced by brother, Manitoba Métis Federation

Premier Heather Stefanson said Klein is 1 of 2 Indigenous members of her caucus

Posted: Jul 31, 2023 6:00 AM CDT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kevin-klein-indigenous-manitoba-government-1.6876688

"This idea that it's a personal journey and no one can question it … it's BS, right? We shouldn't give it credit. And so if he's on a personal journey for six to eight years, trying to find an Indigenous identity somewhere, then personally, I think he should shut up about it until he figures it out," Teillet said.

I hope he finds what he is looking for on his journey. Until then, he should be quiet about it. Many rightful Metis have lost their rights due to the definitions empowered under the Powell decision and INACs interference afterwards. I wonder if anyone asked David Chartrand about his thoughts on that, because I have spoken to him several times and the MMF vehemently disagrees with current government imposed restrictions on it's membership. 

Is Klein a slimeball? Maybe. Does this make him one? Not necessarily. A lot of people are currently fighting for their Metis rights against GOC census claims that misidentified hundreds/thousands of persons as French/English based on their mother tongue instead of their heritage. These censuses, particularly in the West, were absolutely atrocious.

My wife's grandfather, who has a statue on his reserve outside the band office, for famously negotiating the creation of the registered trapline system in Manitoba. Because of the first 3 censuses of his life incorrectly identifying him as English, he is erroneously referred to in some Aboriginal history books as having the distinction of being the only known white chief of an "Indian" reserve. A complete farce.

Edited by GCn20

11 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

I hope he finds what he is looking for on his journey. Until then, he should be quiet about it. Many rightful Metis have lost their rights due to the definitions empowered under the Powell decision and INACs interference afterwards. I wonder if anyone asked David Chartrand about his thoughts on that, because I have spoken to him several times and the MMF vehemently disagrees with current government imposed restrictions on it's membership. 

Is Klein a slimeball? Maybe. Does this make him one? Not necessarily. A lot of people are currently fighting for their Metis rights against GOC census claims that misidentified hundreds/thousands of persons as French/English based on their mother tongue instead of their heritage. These censuses, particularly in the West, were absolutely atrocious.

You clearly have not read the article.

1 hour ago, Wideleft said:

You clearly have not read the article.

I clearly did. I just do not support the research provided. If Klein is not of Metis heritage, then it sure is a slimy move to claim he is. I am not willing, based on what I know about aboriginal/Metis research into geneology, to jump to that conclusion based primarily on Canada census reports.

You need to understand that in neither of the censuses provided in your article was Metis/half breed even an option. The only censuses prior to 1981 that a Metis citizen could identify as one is the 1870, 1901, and 1941 censuses. In all other censuses you were identified either by your mother tongue or as Indian and the descrimination and possible repercussions that came with that designation in Canada's cruel colonial system. The journalism was lazy in that article. If you are going to paint someone as a liar...GET IT RIGHT.

The census "proof" is garbage, and David Chartrand's comments are for sure completely out of context to the MMF's position on how Metis citizenship should be applied. 

It's unfortunate the writer didn't fact check his article before his hatchet job.

Edited by GCn20

11 hours ago, GCn20 said:

I clearly did. I just do not support the research provided. If Klein is not of Metis heritage, then it sure is a slimy move to claim he is. I am not willing, based on what I know about aboriginal/Metis research into geneology, to jump to that conclusion based primarily on Canada census reports.

You need to understand that in neither of the censuses provided in your article was Metis/half breed even an option. The only censuses prior to 1981 that a Metis citizen could identify as one is the 1870, 1901, and 1941 censuses. In all other censuses you were identified either by your mother tongue or as Indian and the descrimination and possible repercussions that came with that designation in Canada's cruel colonial system. The journalism was lazy in that article. If you are going to paint someone as a liar...GET IT RIGHT.

The census "proof" is garbage, and David Chartrand's comments are for sure completely out of context to the MMF's position on how Metis citizenship should be applied. 

It's unfortunate the writer didn't fact check his article before his hatchet job.

They did also check with his brother who said it is a sham and Klein does have a history of being a slimeball. The only reason he won his seat was because the NDP and Libs split votes in the riding.

10 hours ago, WildPath said:

They did also check with his brother who said it is a sham and Klein does have a history of being a slimeball. The only reason he won his seat was because the NDP and Libs split votes in the riding.

They also did a check with his other brother who confirmed it. I am not here defending Klein the politician. I don't know enough about him for that. However, there are hundreds of displaced MMF and other Metis group members that were displaced after the Powell decision narrowed the scope of their membership lists. Many are working hard to get their identities back despite inaccurate historical documents making it difficult. Klein could very well be among those people. I do not like hatchet jobs like this by people who know nothing about how rigged the system is against Indigenous and Metis status. This was nothing more than a trumped up media report basing itself on census status that did not recognize or even have the option for Metis or half breed status to claimed. A complete sham and a shameful piece of journalism.

Edited by GCn20

6 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

They also did a check with his other brother who confirmed it. I am not here defending Klein the politician. I don't know enough about him for that. However, there are hundreds of displaced MMF and other Metis group members that were displaced after the Powell decision narrowed the scope of their membership lists. Many are working hard to get their identities back despite inaccurate historical documents making it difficult. Klein could very well be among those people. I do not like hatchet jobs like this by people who know nothing about how rigged the system is against Indigenous and Metis status. This was nothing more than a trumped up media report basing itself on census status that did not recognize or even have the option for Metis or half breed status to claimed. A complete sham and a shameful piece of journalism.

You mean his unnamed brother who Klein said confirmed it?  Come on, man.  

The guy paid a couple hundred buck to a for-profit "Metis" community to get his status (as did his mother's late brother) that sprung up in 2002 when they identified a revenue stream.  A community that refused to be interviewed on the subject.  A community which has an extremely loose definition of Metis.

And it's not just CBC's genealogical search calling out his B.S.  You've got an expert (Jean Teillet) pointing to all the red flags.  And his own brother...

Klein has his lawyer threatening the CBC and falling back on "it's personal - leave me alone".

Klein can't be trusted on anything.  

Coincidentally, his canvassers showed up at my door last night and I told them I had zero interest.  The guy says, "He'd like to hear from you.  What would you like to tell him?" 

My response "He's a slimeball".

13 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

The guy paid a couple hundred buck to a for-profit "Metis" community to get his status (as did his mother's late brother) that sprung up in 2002 when they identified a revenue stream.  A community that refused to be interviewed on the subject.  A community which has an extremely loose definition of Metis.

And it's not just CBC's genealogical search calling out his B.S.  You've got an expert (Jean Teillet) pointing to all the red flags.  And his own brother...

Klein has his lawyer threatening the CBC and falling back on "it's personal - leave me alone".

Coincidentally, his canvassers showed up at my door last night and I told them I had zero interest.  The guy says, "He'd like to hear from you.  What would you like to tell him?" 

My question is, if his mother never identified as Metis when she was alive (presumably true if his brother doesn't believe that they are Metis), then in what way is it honoring her and connecting with her to now claim to be Metis?

Just now, Sard said:

My question is, if his mother never identified as Metis when she was alive (presumably true if his brother doesn't believe that they are Metis), then in what way is it honoring her and connecting with her to now claim to be Metis?

Klein will say anything if he thinks it will help him and I think that goes beyond his political life.  If it weren't so distasteful, it would be entertaining to watch the guy's web of lies unfurling.  Definitely venturing into sociopathy with his responses/actions.

2 hours ago, Wideleft said:

His very named brother who was quoted in the paper today actually. Also CBC's "geneological" research is not research at all, it is completely and 100% without merit. Also, you say that his Metis group is unrecognized....well so is the MMF currently as they withdrew from the Metis National council. Are there red flags to his status, yes there are...just as there is for the thousands of Metis who lost their memberships following the Powell decision. Just because someone's heritage, particularly native heritage, was not something of daily life when he was raised is not even a factor in this. Just incredibly insensitive thing for media, or anyone, to use as proof of heritage. You don't act like a Metis, and weren't raised like a Metis, so you are not a Metis? After 200 years of trying to beat the indigenous out of all of us, white people need to be better than that. Just a grossly insensitive line of reasoning. Nothing worse than when white people come and question our heritage, when what they know about it could fit on the head of a pin.

9 minutes ago, GCn20 said:

His very named brother who was quoted in the paper today actually. Also CBC's "geneological" research is not research at all, it is completely and 100% without merit. Also, you say that his Metis group is unrecognized....well so is the MMF currently as they withdrew from the Metis National council. Are there red flags to his status, yes there are...just as there is for the thousands of Metis who lost their memberships following the Powell decision. Just because someone's heritage, particularly native heritage, was not something of daily life when he was raised is not even a factor in this. Just incredibly insensitive thing for media, or anyone, to use as proof of heritage. You don't act like a Metis, and weren't raised like a Metis, so you are not a Metis? After 200 years of trying to beat the indigenous out of all of us, white people need to be better than that. Just a grossly insensitive line of reasoning. Nothing worse than when white people come and question our heritage, when what they know about it could fit on the head of a pin.

From today's paper:

"Klein also read what he said was an email he had received from another brother supporting his claims, but said his brother did not want to share his identification."  https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/07/31/cabinet-minister-stands-by-metis-heritage-claim

No one is harder on Pretendians than First Nations and rightly so.

But keep digging.  You might meet up with the hole that Kevin Elvis Klein (again, why the name change?) has dug.

20 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

From today's paper:

"Klein also read what he said was an email he had received from another brother supporting his claims, but said his brother did not want to share his identification."  https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2023/07/31/cabinet-minister-stands-by-metis-heritage-claim

No one is harder on Pretendians than First Nations and rightly so.

But keep digging.  You might meet up with the hole that Kevin Elvis Klein (again, why the name change?) has dug.

Both brothers have been identified in the media, not sure why the Free Press isn't.

From a CBC article posted yesterday,.

"He also produced an email from his middle brother, Duane Rout, who said he believes Klein has a Métis status card, but was silent on whether he agrees their late mother is Métis."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kevin-klein-defends-himself-métis-heritage-1.6923310

5 minutes ago, bigg jay said:

Both brothers have been identified in the media, not sure why the Free Press isn't.

From a CBC article posted yesterday,.

"He also produced an email from his middle brother, Duane Rout, who said he believes Klein has a Métis status card, but was silent on whether he agrees their late mother is Métis."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/kevin-klein-defends-himself-métis-heritage-1.6923310

Thanks.  The "endorsement" certainly doesn't endorse his claim.

Klein says he belongs to the Painted Feather Woodland Métis. The entity is not recognized by the Manitoba Métis Federation or the Métis Nation of Ontario. It's a for-profit company based out of a single-family residence near Bancroft, Ont., just over 250 kilometres northeast of Toronto. 

1 hour ago, GCn20 said:

By the Powell decision, do you actually mean the Powley Test?

1 hour ago, JCon said:

And it works, obviously, or PCs wouldn't be using him as a prop. 

"Diversity" for them is just that, a prop to win votes and to be able to defend themselves as not being racist by holding up "diverse" people. Pallister did it before by saying his white, mostly male cabinet was diverse because they came from different parts of Europe. That is why Obby was such a big win by them, because they actually had someone that was not white. Was that a big reason why his company received a large share of Covid funding for businesses from the PCs? I'm assuming that is why Audrey Gordon has such a large role despite being completely incompetent as well.

They hold up Alan Lagimodiere for his Metis status, but he is an outright racist against indigenous people. He even defended residential schools his first day on the job. The PC party doesn't care about diverse perspectives, they care about the optics and putting that little sticker of "diverse" on their chart.

15 hours ago, WildPath said:

Klein would claim to be a lesbian if it would get him re-elected.

46 minutes ago, WildPath said:

What do you mean about "those kinds of things"

Are they known to promote cultural appropriation?

CBC is very progressive ,  to a point of ridiculousness.   Hence why Klein could identify as Metis and they would normally spin a story like that as in it being a positive thing.      

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

CBC is very progressive ,  to a point of ridiculousness.   Hence why Klein could identify as Metis and they would normally spin a story like that as in it being a positive thing.      

Really? Have they done that before with someone else? Do you have an example I could see?