Ring of Honour - who is next?

So I imagine the club had an some ideas for last year but put them on hold to honour Bob Irving once they knew it was his last year. So what pecking order do people think is in place for the Ring of Honour?

I would think names from the 75th anniversary team must be at the top of the list in some order. Looking at that list, here are the 10 players who made that squad who are not up on facade of IG Field yet (the other 10 selected for that 75th anniversary team, plus coach Bud Grant, Irving, and Doug Brown, are honoured already).

Greg Battle, Tom Casey, Tom Clements, Rick House, Trevor Kennerd, James Murphy, Joe Poplawski, Willard Reaves, Frank Rigney, Charles Roberts

Additionally, Cal Murphy is likely on the short list, and at a rate of one honouree per year, some members of the current squad will be ripe for induction in the next few years (Collaros, Harris, Jefferson, Bighill, and Bryant would likely lead that list)

Additionally, notable names from the team’s Hall of Fame (and this is not at all an exhaustive list) include the likes of Bud Tinsley,  Jeff Nicklin, Ernie Pitts, Dave Raimey, Don Jonas, Bob Swift, John Bonk, Bill Frank, Charlie Shepherd, James West, Ty Jones, Rod Hill, Troy Westwood, Stan Mikawos, Matt Dunigan, and Khari Jones.

So what order do people have for their top 10 for the next decade? And should the club honour more than one person a year given how many players could be up on the ring (I would say yes - double up for the next 5 years or so)? And what separates the Ring of Honour from the Hall of Fame?

My next 10 in order would be:

1. Cal Murphy (statue already)

2. Joe Poplawski (gate name already)

3. Tom Casey (all-star at 4 positions in the golden era)

4. James Murphy (record holder in everything before Stegall)

5. Frank Rigney (“best o-lineman ever” tag before Walby)

6. Jeff Nicklin (league trophy honoured his sacrifice, we should too)

7. Stanley Bryant (assuming he’s retired by then)

8. Charles Roberts (rushing record holder)

9. Andrew Harris

10. Rod Hill (with apologies to Greg Battle and Ty Jones)

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Tom Clements.

So, I wasn't around at that time...and I know he came in and busted the drought so you guys must think the world of him, but only 4 seasons as a Bomber...obviously not near the top of any career passing records...

Can that really be considered "Ring of Honour" worthy?

I think the QBs that are already up there are the only QBs really worth the title (Ploen, Jacobs, Brock).

For RBs, they have Fritz, James,  and Lewis - I'd really like to see Charlie up there sooner than later.

Stegall is the only WR (and the only one I've personally seen who should be up there) - So I'll defer to TrueBlue and his JPop and Murph suggestions

I'm going to be lost on OL - I've def heard of Rigney.....someone tell me some names other than Walby.

DL - there's Gray and Brown - Mikawos stands out to me in terms of longevity....obviously didn't him play..

LB - Jones and Battle need to be in yesterday.....probably my highest priority.

CB - Gotta think Hill will be the first DB up there

Those are 8 name with Charlie, Jones, and Battle being my personally top 3.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

So, I wasn't around at that time...and I know he came in and busted the drought so you guys must think the world of him, but only 4 seasons as a Bomber...obviously not near the top of any career passing records...

Can that really be considered "Ring of Honour" worthy?

The Bombers made the playoffs the 5 seasons Clements was here. They were Grey Cup contenders every season & a Grey Cup winner in 1984. He was also the CFL MOP & Grey Cup MVP. Like Clements, Collaros won't have a long career here either due to his age but he'll still be a deserving addition to the ROH as well after his retirement. It's not so much the years put in as the body of work by Clements which in his case was truly outstanding. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

42 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Bombers made the playoffs the 5 seasons Clements was here. They were Grey Cup contenders every season & a Grey Cup winner in 1984. He was also the CFL MOP & Grey Cup MVP. Like Clements, Collaros won't have a long career here either due to his age but he'll still be a deserving addition to the ROH as well after his retirement. It's not so much the years put in as the body of work by Clements which in his case was truly outstanding. 

Thanks for verbalizing my thoughts on this. He was brilliant and my all-time favorite QB, and deserving of the “ring”, but it does open up the question of why makes one “ring-worthy”? 

7 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Thanks for verbalizing my thoughts on this. He was brilliant and my all-time favorite QB, and deserving of the “ring”, but it does open up the question of why makes one “ring-worthy”? 

I definitely think there needs to be some minimum level of longevity. 

Team success is an important contributor, but obviously guys like Brown and Stegall can rise above it.

Were they among the best at their position in the time that they played?

I think we should be very selective about who goes up on the ring. 

52 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Collaros has played one full season for us. EDIT: Not even one full season, he's played 14 regular season games.

We'll see what happens going forward, but there's no way he qualifies for the ring at this moment in time. 

Edited by Jesse
Additional points to make.

2 hours ago, Jesse said:

I think the QBs that are already up there are the only QBs really worth the title (Ploen, Jacobs, Brock).

For RBs, they have Fritz, James,  and Lewis - I'd really like to see Charlie up there sooner than later.

Stegall is the only WR (and the only one I've personally seen who should be up there) - So I'll defer to TrueBlue and his JPop and Murph suggestions

I'm going to be lost on OL - I've def heard of Rigney.....someone tell me some names other than Walby.

DL - there's Gray and Brown - Mikawos stands out to me in terms of longevity....obviously didn't him play..

LB - Jones and Battle need to be in yesterday.....probably my highest priority.

CB - Gotta think Hill will be the first DB up there

Those are 8 name with Charlie, Jones, and Battle being my personally top 3.

Clements is one of only 7 Bombers ever named MOP, and one of only 4 to win MOP and Grey Cup as well. He is arguably the next most deserving QB behind the 3 already honoured. We’ll see where Collaros slots in when it is all said and done, but 2 Cups and an MOP in 2 (abbreviated) seasons is a pretty sweet start to a resume. 

For receivers, James Murphy was the all-time greatest receiver in club history prior to Milt, and is still #2 on pretty much all the career numbers, also only one of 3 non-QBs to win MOP with the Bombers (Milt and Willard Reaves the other 2). Joe Pop was a Canadian legend and had he not retired at 28 he may well have surpassed Milt’s career totals, I would not be surprised to see him honoured next. 

For o-line, Bryant and Rigney should be next up, John Bonk has an outside shot due to longevity, Grey Cup win, and Schenley win, but he was never “all-time best” talk like the other 3. There are others throughout the years but all a grade below the big 3. 

RBs Charlie should be next, then Harris, and Reaves some day since he stayed in Winnipeg after his playing days and won MOP. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Just now, TrueBlue4ever said:

Clements is one of only 7 Bombers ever named MOP, and one of only 4 to win MOP and Grey Cup as well. He is arguably the next most deserving QB behind the 3 already honoured.

For receivers, James Murphy was the all-time greatest receiver in club history prior to Milt, and is still #2 on pretty much all the career numbers, also only one of 3 non-QBs to win MOP with the Bombers (Milt and Willard Reaves the other 2). Joe Pop was a Canadian legend and had he not retired at 28 he may well have surpassed Milt’s career totals, I would not be surprised to see him honoured next. 

For o-line, Bryant and Rigney should be next up, John Bonk has an outside shot due to longevity, Grey Cup win, and Schenley win, but he was never “all-time best” talk like the other 3. There are others throughout the years but all a grade below the big 3. 

RBs Charlie should be next, then Harris, and Reaves some day since he stayed in Winnipeg after his playing days and won MOP. 

Just because Clements is the "next most deserving" doesn't mean he is deserving. He is below my personal cut off line. Reaves probably is too. 

Totally with you on Pop and Murphy.  

I'm not ready to talk about players who are still playing. Let them finish resume building.

2 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

It would be nice if they could prioritize some of the older players that may not be around in the next 5-10 years. So at least they can be around to enjoy the honour.

Is there anyone from that time period who needs to be honoured?

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Just because Clements is the "next most deserving" doesn't mean he is deserving. He is below my personal cut off line. Reaves probably is too. 

Totally with you on Pop and Murphy.  

I'm not ready to talk about players who are still playing. Let them finish resume building.

It is always personal preference In the end, but I’d argue if Jones and Battle deserve to be in yesterday as you say, Clements is no less worthy than either of them. And we shouldn’t cap eligibility just because of position. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

9 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It is always personal preference In the end, but I’d argue if Jones and Battle deserve to be in yesterday as you say, Clemts is no less worthy than either of them. And we shouldn’t cap eligibility just because of position. 

Well, I think Jones and Battle are two full tiers above where Clements is.

And I’m not capping Clements because of position, I don’t think he played well enough or long enough.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

Is there anyone from that time period who needs to be honoured?

From the 1930’s-40’s , other than Fritz maybe Reg Threlfall (coached 1938-41, three Grey Cup appearances and 2 wins in 4 years, highest career winning percentage in club history, should have been 4 straight Cup appearances and likely 3 wins in a row but were barred by the league from participating in 1940) but he is not well known despite the success. From the 50’s-60’s teams Rigney is the best not already honoured, maybe Charlie Shepherd but a longer shot. From the 70’s despite some good names Jonas is the only likely contender. 80’s teams Murphy and Pop the two biggies for sustained success, Reaves, Clements, Jones, West all strong for periods, but not as long with the club compared to others, Mikawos has massive tenure but not much else (kind of like Jake Thomas now, very solid for a long time and has championships but not a star ever). Battle and especially Hill with his longer history fit in the early 90’s slots, Roberts likely from the 2000’s and Khari an outside shot (depending on how rarified the honour should be), and then the current crew is the next batch up in my mind. Don’t know if Westwood gets there on longevity and club all-time scoring record. 

2 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Ya I would give a ROH to Clements just even for the short time he was here mainly because of that amazing 84 season, ending another long drought. Brock got a ROH and even though he was a great QB, he could never perform in the big game. I would put Clements over Brock any day. I think I still have my old Brock Busters T-shirt from that game. 

If it was only determined through longevity with one team (mostly) and rushing yards, you need to go with Charles Roberts. 
I wouldn’t be surprised to see Joe Pop get in either. (Canadian, longevity, skill, made his home in Wpg, immaculate reputation, etc)

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost