GDT - Banjo Bowl - Riders @ the Champs

JCon

We might have had one injury out there today. I figure play was stopped for a least 4 greenies laid out on the turf. Tough game. 
that guy in the end zone taken to the locker room was appropriately lashed by the north zone crowd. 

Edited by Rod Black

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

Just like our ridiculous run in the 2019 playoffs. Giving up 1 touchdown in the final 10 quarters of football against the 1st, 3rd, and 4th highest scoring teams in the league(we were 2nd). Greatest defensive playoff run in history? Probably.

Yep, best play off D ive ever seen. This year theyve kept it up. Our D in the last 9 games going back to 2019 is un real. Half a season worth of games, 12.7 points per game against our D. 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Yep, best play off D ive ever seen. This year theyve kept it up. Our D in the last 9 games going back to 2019 is un real. Half a season worth of games, 12.7 points per game against our D. 

And with 2 CFL rookies in the secondary, missing our best DT since game 1, and missing our starting weak-side LB all season. Lord help the rest of the league when we get healthy and gain more experience/confidence.

Just now, Bubba Zanetti said:

And with 2 CFL rookies in the secondary, missing our best DT since game 1, and missing our starting weak-side LB all season. Lord help the rest of the league when we get healthy and gain more experience/confidence.

Just having stove back will be huge. But yeah. And imagine if we re sign rose, get stove and wilson back? The league is not prepared.  

23 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Through this many games, this is the most dominant bend but dont break defense in modern history. Giving up this few Tds is unprecedented. 

Credit where credit is due. But Richie Hall deserves mad props. He wasn’t my first choice when they brought him in and his bend but don’t break D was brutal those first few years. It wasn’t until they brought in guys like Jeffcoat, Jackson, Bighill but he has those guys firing on all cylinders game in and game out. It’s a beauty to watch. 

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Credit where credit is due. But Richie Hall deserves mad props. He wasn’t my first choice when they brought him in and his bend but don’t break D was brutal those first few years. It wasn’t until they brought in guys like Jeffcoat, Jackson, Bighill but he has those guys firing on all cylinders game in and game out. It’s a beauty to watch. 

Its true. When it is giving up first downs people hate bend but dont break. But when it goes whole games with out giving up majors, we love it. Mos' adjustments and some of the hall adjustments has it in its best form ever. Teams cant handle biggie showing blitz and dropping back to saftey depth. Its just not fair. I love it. 

9 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

The D was never brutal.  This D from the time Richie Hall came in has been solid.  Turned the franchise around, tons of turnovers, scored tons of points itself and with short fields for the O.  Having Nichols at QB was a huge handicap for this entire team and the fact they've been able to stay top 3 in the West relied a lot on D and Medlock scoring a bunch/dominating field position plus Harris being an all-time player into his 30's as a 1000-1000 type player.

It certainly annoys people to see other teams march and pile up first downs, but the scoreboard is what matters.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

The D was never brutal.  This D from the time Richie Hall came in has been solid.  Turned the franchise around, tons of turnovers, scored tons of points itself and with short fields for the O.  Having Nichols at QB was a huge handicap for this entire team and the fact they've been able to stay top 3 in the West relied a lot on D and Medlock scoring a bunch/dominating field position plus Harris being an all-time player into his 30's as a 1000-1000 type player.

It certainly annoys people to see other teams march and pile up first downs, but the scoreboard is what matters.

The 2 and outs and TOP issues pre collaros left our D in a bad spot. It wasnt brutal, but they got hung out to dry and teams cashed in late. But hall has always been one of the best Cos at making adjustments in the league. For the stretch and this year the D has been dialed in. 2nd to game and vs cal we saw too deep zone even by bend but dont break standards but that wasnt what cost us the tor game. 

I'm pretty concerned about Leggs. I want the kid to do well, and he seems to have all the talent in the world....but man he needs a shrink. First half awful, second half much improved but still. If we really need him to help us win, is he going to come through?? I dunno. If this continues I don't think he's going to make it.

Very impressed with the defence. Biggie is everywhere out there, and plays a clean, tough game. 

57 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

the change from Hecht to Alexander in 2019 was like the change from Willy to Nichols in 2016  -- suddenly we were a different team.

Edited by johnzo

O'Shea has given Liegghio a shot to kick some longer field goals but I think heading into Edmonton he needs to gear down a bit, punt those ones and let Liegghio earn trust to try those 45 plus yarders by showing consistency in hitting converts.  Focus on the converts and go from there.  No one is coming to the rescue with the quarantine requirements on the way in.

57 minutes ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Richie is getting the best that these players have ever played,hence Willie and Bighill brining in DPOTY awards. The defense this year is even better than 2019 and the playoffs,scary **** for the rest of the league.

Was Liegghio supposed to be the FG kicker out of camp? Or was that Crapinga? Liegghio has a nice punt but I don’t think he was built to kick FGs. I think with some work he can do both positions and be good at it but I’m not going to be hard on him if his job out of camp was just punting and then was thrown into FGs when Crapinga went down. 

4 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

O'Shea has given Liegghio a shot to kick some longer field goals but I think heading into Edmonton he needs to gear down a bit, punt those ones and let Liegghio earn trust to try those 45 plus yarders by showing consistency in hitting converts.  Focus on the converts and go from there.  No one is coming to the rescue with the quarantine requirements on the way in.

I felt like MOS hinted at this in his post game interview on OB.

1 minute ago, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Was Liegghio supposed to be the FG kicker out of camp? Or was that Crapinga? Liegghio has a nice punt but I don’t think he was built to kick FGs. I think with some work he can do both positions and be good at it but I’m not going to be hard on him if his job out of camp was just punting and then was thrown into FGs when Crapinga went down. 

He was supposed to do both they brought in Crapigna late in camp.

Liegghio was over 90% combined in CIS on FG's and converts, so the ability is there.  He's a raw rookie though, pretty rare for a kicker to just jump in without sitting on PR for awhile behind a vet.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Thing is, legs and our kick over isnt a win either. Punt from the 50 yard line and they are gonna have it at like the 20-25. 

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

So, how long do we go before we make a change at kicker? Eventually those misses will cost us. 

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Liegghio was over 90% combined in CIS on FG's and converts, so the ability is there.  He's a raw rookie though, pretty rare for a kicker to just jump in without sitting on PR for awhile behind a vet.

We certainly shouldnt give up on him. but we also need to be careful not to ruin him. We need some one to protect him. 

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

So, how long do we go before we make a change at kicker? Eventually those misses will cost us. 

Well it's basically 3 games worth of quarantining for anyone coming in here that's not already in Canada, so it won't be fast.

Liegghio can make the kicks and he has.  Made a game-winner.  Have to work with him this season, if they wanted more options they needed to set that up before camp.

6 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

So maybe put him back on pr.

15 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

No one is coming to the rescue with the quarantine requirements on the way in.

Don't we have an American kicker cooling his heels in quarantine right now?  Ali Mortada is on our suspended list .... tiny guy originally from Sierra Leone. Signed the last day of August.

Edited by johnzo