2021 (??) CFL Season

Noeller

42 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

The win/loss record speaks for itself. All teams went through slumps. All teams had injury issues. Hamilton had to replace their starting QB before we did. They got 1st in the east. Regina had to replace their starting QB before we did. They got 1st in the West. 4th in a 9 team league is pretty much the definition of average.

I take issue with the average except for a great playoff run assessment. I say good start, good finish and little hiccup in the middle. So what do you choose to go with? The few games they were ho-hum or the bulk of the season where they were one of the best teams? It is hard to compare western teams to Eastern teams because of the difference in quality between divisions.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I take issue with the average except for a great playoff run assessment. I say good start, good finish and little hiccup in the middle. So what do you choose to go with? The few games they were ho-hum or the bulk of the season where they were one of the best teams? It is hard to compare western teams to Eastern teams because of the difference in quality between divisions.

Take issue with the facts if you want. I'm going with the facts, which is they were 4th overall in the regular season and great in the playoffs.

We were just 1 win ahead of Montreal. Every teams plays every other team twice plus 2 extra against their own division, so playing in the East simply means 2 games against weaker teams. It's not as big an advantage as Western fans make it out to be.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I would argue that the Bombers had a slump during the season and were pretty damned good other than that. 

I can't imagine anyone not seeing this excactly. Slump in the middle after starting strong and losing our starting QB. 

Edit: of course I hadn't sent the nonsense post above. Smh. 

Edited by JCon

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

We were the best team in the league until Nichols went down. Struggled with Strev, got much better with Collaros, who is Nichols 2.0

Agreed. And, you don't have to believe anyone on here,just watch the last three games of the year. Overwhelming evidence. Some people just love to hate the Bombers. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Take issue with the facts if you want. I'm going with the facts, which is they were 4th overall in the regular season and great in the playoffs.

We were just 1 win ahead of Montreal. Every teams plays every other team twice plus 2 extra against their own division, so playing in the East simply means 2 games against weaker teams. It's not as big an advantage as Western fans make it out to be.

They were 14 - 7 in 2019, and won the championship - those are also facts.

If we don't make the trade for Collaros, we don't win the last game and go to 10 wins. (3rd string QB, whose thrown 3 passes in the CFL, starting his first game) We go one and done in the playoffs again because we're forced to start our 3rd string QB in his second start against Regina in Regina. Do you still say we were good start to finish with just a little hiccup in the middle? Of course not. You say we were average with a poor playoff run.

Montreal played Hamilton 3 times last year. Hamilton was the best team in the league during the regular season. The other extra game was Ottawa, which was easier than our extra game against either Sask or Calg. I give them 1 easier game than us, which I don't consider a huge advantage. BTW: We lost 4 games to eastern teams last year and 3 to the stronger West.

I'm not changing anyone's mind here, but I stick to my point that we were an average regular season team. Above average regular season teams have a home playoff game and good ones come in 1st in their division.

Edited by TBURGESS

We could go 6-12, stumble backwards into the playoffs and if we won 3 games in a row in any fashion I would still say we were the GOATs.

And 11-7 with a Grey Cup is a heck of a lot better than 15-3 without one. How is this even a real conversation right now?

Edited by Dr Zaius

19 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

So Winnipeg wins more games, in a tougher division and then wins the Grey Cup and we're arguing that the Als who won less game, in a weaker division and who didn't win the cup are better?

So, no... that's not the argument. To restate. The Bombers had an average season followed by a great playoff to win the cup.

The tougher division argument means we had 1 harder game than Montreal last year.

15 hours ago, Mark H. said:

@TBURGESS you lost me when you said ‘poor playoff run.’ 

I said IF we hadn't made the trade for Collaros, we'd have lost the first playoff game,, we'd have 1 less regular season win and a poor playoff run. Losing 1 addtional game against Calgary doesn't change the regular season much, but losing the playoff game changes the way we'd think about last season immensly. Therefore it's the playoff wins that make people remember the regular season as being good to great, not the season itself.

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

So, no... that's not the argument. To restate. The Bombers had an average season followed by a great playoff to win the cup.

The tougher division argument means we had 1 harder game than Montreal last year.

I said IF we hadn't made the trade for Collaros, we'd have lost the first playoff game,, we'd have 1 less regular season win and a poor playoff run. Losing 1 addtional game against Calgary doesn't change the regular season much, but losing the playoff game changes the way we'd think about last season immensly. Therefore it's the playoff wins that make people remember the regular season as being good to great, not the season itself.

Interesting take on a successful year.

What would have considered the cut off for a great regular season?

Did the riders have a great regular season? Ti-cats, absolutely. 

On 2020-12-18 at 4:26 PM, Noeller said:

on top of the fact that WE'RE THE ******* CHAMPS (!!!!!!) they also played in the absolute JOKE that is the East Div. Their record means next to nothing...

On 2020-12-19 at 9:18 AM, Mark H. said:

We were 14 - 7, they were 10 - 9.

That's a huge difference, sir.

I think the bigger discrepancy is not just in 2019, where the Bombers obviously did better... but also just look at the last five seasons...

The Bombers posted a winning season every season from 2015-2019 except 2015, which I would argue they were still in the rebuilding phase. For the Als, 2019 was their first above 0.500 season since 2012 (though they did have a 9-9 season in 2014).

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Interesting take on a successful year.

What would have considered the cut off for a great regular season?

Did the riders have a great regular season? Ti-cats, absolutely. 

All of Hamilton, Regina, Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal had successful regular seasons. Edmonton was semi-successful, but being sub-.500 and 6th overall is below average IMO.

Both the Riders and Ticats had great regular seasons. You can't do any better than coming in 1st.

Montreal had a great regular season too. They went from the free space on the bingo card at 5-13 to 2nd in the East at 10-8 with a rookie HC who got the job at the last minute and without a bonifide starting QB. We went from 3rd to 3rd and won one more game in 2019 than we did in 2018. Successful and average.

Calgary had a less successful season in 2019 than they did in 2018, but they still beat us and got a home game. I'd call it just above average.

Edited by TBURGESS

24 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

All of Hamilton, Regina, Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal had successful regular seasons. Edmonton was semi-successful, but being sub-.500 and 6th overall is below average IMO.

Both the Riders and Ticats had great regular seasons. You can't do any better than coming in 1st.

Montreal had a great regular season too. They went from the free space on the bingo card at 5-13 to 2nd in the East at 10-8 with a rookie HC who got the job at the last minute and without a bonifide starting QB. We went from 3rd to 3rd and won one more game in 2019 than we did in 2018. Successful and average.

Calgary had a less successful season in 2019 than they did in 2018, but they still beat us and got a home game. I'd call it just above average.

I just don't get your take. You are almost saying that regular season wins are more important than playoff wins. After 29 years that is your summary of the 2019 season? That Montreal is no longer an easy win? With your logic, it means that even though the Ti Cats were slaughtered in the GC they had a more successful season than the Bombers because they won more games in a weaker division during the regular season. After 13 months you should be happy we won instead of looking for things to nitpick. The Ti Cats can't even say that the Bomber victory was a fluke because their offense was destroyed by the Bomber defense. & Andrew Harris took care of the rest.

47 minutes ago, TBURGESS said:

I beg to differ.....winning the Cup is a helluva lot better than finishing in the top rung...The whole point to any season is the culmination of it ending in a Grey Cup win....Ask any first place team that finished without the Cup and they'd say ..'yeah it's nice to finish first ...but winning the Cup is the main aim...everything else is anticlimactic '....So there's that AND your statement is incorrect

Collaros was a difference maker, the D was dominant, and Andrew Harris did what he does.

I think the performance that is too often overlooked is the D in the semi - final against Calgary.  BLM was completely confused and under pressure for long stretches of that game. 

It was after THAT GAME that I think most of us diehards knew - this was going to be our year. 

Posters here know my feelings about the 1972 Blue Bombers going 10-6 & being the regular season Western Conference Champs in the CFL during the regular season that year before losing to the 8-8 Saskatchewan Roughriders in the Western Final. We were heavy favourites to take care of the Riders in the Western Final that day having gone undefeated at home that season. Instead we lost 27-24 & 48 years later I still remember how disappointed & sad I was walking out of Winnipeg Stadium that day. How that loss had stuck with me all these years.

It didn't matter that we went 10-6, were the best team in the CFL, were the champs of the West  & heavy favourites to win the GC. We didn't do it. We didn't get the job done. We lost on a ******* gadget play & lousy officiating. The season turned into a failure on just one play. Ask any player who wore a Bomber uniform that day & any Bomber fan who was alive when that game was played. The season was a failure. Regular season pennants & trophies mean squat. The Grey Cup is EVERYTHING. I don't care what you say, TBurgess.

Edited by SpeedFlex27