Covid-19

JCon

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

What does Italy have to do with Canada? It certainly is not plateauing here. Quit cherry picking stats.

Italy has a public health care system and a much denser population - infection did not continue rising exponentially or doubling every three days.

Reports are now that it has plateaued and will decrease - we will see.

Feel free to shake your cane at me.

Trump tweeting about his current priorities, this afternoon:

“Because the ‘Ratings’ of my News Conferences etc. are so high, ‘Bachelor finale, Monday Night Football Type numbers,’ according to @nytimes, the Lamestream Media is going CRAZY. ‘Trump is reaching too many people, we must stop him,’ said one lunatic. See you at 5:00 P.M.!”

1 hour ago, Mark H. said:

The infection and fatality rate would be higher without social distancing and border closures - I assume we can all agree on that?

Some information from Sweden (article is 2 days old).  Of notes, 6000 cases in a population of  just over 10 million.  For comparison, Canada has a population of over 37 million, with 15, 300 cases. 

Sweden reported 612 new cases on Friday, bringing the total to around 6,000. The death toll has reached 333, with fatalities now running at about 25-30 a day, according to the Swedish Health Agency.

A STORM IN STOCKHOLM

There are growing signs the virus is spreading at elderly care homes, again mainly in the capital, where some staff at hospitals and nursing homes have publicly warned of a lack of protective equipment such as masks.

Facing what a local official has called “a storm” of COVID-19 cases, Stockholm has opened a field hospital at a convention complex south of the city center and called on anyone with medical training to help care for the sick.

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/swedens-liberal-pandemic-strategy-questioned-as-stockholm-death-toll-mounts

My original post talks about how Canada is doing a good job of flattening the curve...  and Covid infection is much lower than previously believed.  Somehow that was interpreted as wanting all old people to die ha... reminds me of the Joe Mack days here...

Sweden never said that they were immune to Covid - opening a field hospital is pretty normal - Vancouver had one set up in a park and BC Place ready as another quarantine centre.  I really think they are preparing to handle the 'spike' quickly rather than flatten the curve...

'Watching Sweden' means I am interested to see what happens there... not that I want to move to Sweden.  

50 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

It's not either-or. We find a compromise between "hide away for 2 years" and "just accept it so go about business as usual". Canada is doing well BECAUSE we have put stringent, extreme measures like stay-at-home orders in place. I'll come out when the medical experts say it is safe to do so, and not follow your guesstimate of "by May Covid will be done". Every person who wants to get back to normal now is simply going to prolong the effects of transmission by ignoring social distancing. 

And once a vaccine is in place then maybe it can be treated like another flu (and the only hard numbers I have heard are 12-18 months for it to be in place, Trump's grand "gut feeling" pronouncements notwithstanding). But until then, stay put is the best course of action. 

Weren't you JUST arguing that Canada is not doing well...?  Haha - I love this place some days.  So random.

Yeah, not sure what planet you think we are on... but we are not shutting down the economy for 12-18 months and if you do, you must have a govt job where you still get paid to sit on your couch.

Canada will declare the curve flattened by June - we'll go back to work with some new plexiglass barriers, wearing masks and use more automated tellers - people will die of Covid but it will become just a part of life

42 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Italy has a public health care system and a much denser population - infection did not continue rising exponentially or doubling every three days.

Reports are now that it has plateaued and will decrease - we will see.

Feel free to shake your cane at me.

Well, considering older people are more at risk that's a pretty heartless comment.

1 hour ago, iHeart said:

so, I wonder what will happen if he croaks? I actually expected Brexit to economically bite the UK in the butt, but not this (but then again the stock markets have been suffering anyway)

My faith and ethics state that I ought not to wish ill for any person, but Boris Johnson and Donald Trump are ones I would consider making exceptions for.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

He should be arrested and forced to work without PPE in a COVID ward for all long as it takes for the pandemic to pass.

The dude has 100's of millions of dollars and I can't believe people still are suckered in to giving him more money.  

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

The dude has 100's of millions of dollars and I can't believe people still are suckered in to giving him more money.  

Well, he can promise that everyone who follows his dictates will absolutely go to heaven on the express escalator and no one has yet come back to demand a refund.

I mean you guys do see the irony of a forum that consistently is like 'oh he's 29 years old and lost a step... buh bye' and then actually makes fun of guys who can't keep up or have long-term injuries...

But now we're freaking out about anyone who questions shutting down society for a virus that targets specifically the old and the weak...

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

I mean you guys do see the irony of a forum that consistently is like 'oh he's 29 years old and lost a step... buh bye' and then actually makes fun of guys who can't keep up or have long-term injuries...

But now we're freaking out about anyone who questions shutting down society for a virus that targets specifically the old and the weak...

giphy.gif

Guess you have no grandparents,  parents, uncles or aunts? Of course, you don't seem to care about people that have immunosuppressed systems  like cancer patients or little kids. Anyone that talk trash like you will get sick or old one day then your day will come. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27