Covid-19

JCon

Just now, JCon said:

HS has flip flopped many times. She talks out of both sides of her mouth, like all PCs. We're effed. 

This is basically what I've heard from her as well. Unfortunately flip-flopping on vaccine requirements and restrictions is better than outright campaigning against vaccine mandates. There's no way I would have ever thought I would have wished Goertzen would be our premier longer. It makes me wonder how many people are holding out on getting vaccines until we get a new premier.

15 hours ago, WildPath said:

I'm more than a little worried that Shelly Glover will be our next premier at the end of the month. She's already opposed vaccine mandates and I'm betting would be pretty soft on restrictions as well. Unfortunately only card carrying PCs will be the ones allowed to elect the next premier.

Already the anti-vax nutjobs have attempted to buy PC memberships on mass to get Ken Lee in power. I'm sure all their support and the support of PC card carrying bible belt will go behind Glover now. That would be bad news if we want to avoid a Kenney/Moe response to Covid.

Maybe Manitobans need to be reminded of what a PC party will do when not constrained by logic or compassion.

16 hours ago, WildPath said:

I'm more than a little worried that Shelly Glover will be our next premier at the end of the month. She's already opposed vaccine mandates and I'm betting would be pretty soft on restrictions as well. Unfortunately only card carrying PCs will be the ones allowed to elect the next premier.

Already the anti-vax nutjobs have attempted to buy PC memberships on mass to get Ken Lee in power. I'm sure all their support and the support of PC card carrying bible belt will go behind Glover now. That would be bad news if we want to avoid a Kenney/Moe response to Covid.

PCs need Winnipeg to win tho. Piss off the big city and they are finished. The small rural towns are somewhat irrelevant as without Winnipeg... they lose. Winnipegers are good with mask mandates and these restrictions.. surveys constantly show this. 

Over %80 of the population agrees with vaccines and  masks and the vast majority of that %80 agrees with current restrictions. If the PCs want any hope of being elected in the next election their selection of leader and that leaders behavior post nomination must reflect that. The real question is can/did the party control or stop the anti everythings from joining and blowing things up by voting for Glover.

Edited by the watcher

17 hours ago, WildPath said:

This is basically what I've heard from her as well. Unfortunately flip-flopping on vaccine requirements and restrictions is better than outright campaigning against vaccine mandates. There's no way I would have ever thought I would have wished Goertzen would be our premier longer. It makes me wonder how many people are holding out on getting vaccines until we get a new premier.

I dont know alot about her or her flip flops but in my mind it depends on the flip flop. If let's say she was originally  against mandates or vaccine passes then using evidence and science changes her mind to support that it's OK. In fact a leader that can weigh evidence and be willing to admit they were wrong and change their position is good. But as I say I'm not in tune with what her position was.

Edited by the watcher

37 minutes ago, Goalie said:

PCs need Winnipeg to win tho. Piss off the big city and they are finished. The small rural towns are somewhat irrelevant as without Winnipeg... they lose. Winnipegers are good with mask mandates and these restrictions.. surveys constantly show this. 

Definitely agree when the result reflects the whole populace of Manitoba, but our next premier is being chosen solely by those who are members of the PC party. My guess is a lot of the rural nutjobs proudly carry their PC card and are wanting to use it to get rid of restrictions. An addition, many anti-vax/restrictions groups have been pushing to gobble up PC memberships so they can essentially vote out restrictions and masks.

You'd have to think if Glover is elected and blows the Covid situation like her apparent idols Kenney/Moe then that would throw away the next election for the PCs. But voters have a short memory and many have already said that MB has done well with Covid, despite waging a war against healthcare workers during most of the pandemic and actually leading US/Can in Covid cases at various times during the pandemic.

1 minute ago, the watcher said:

I dont know alot about her or her flip flops but in my mind it depends on the flip flop. If let's say she was originally  against mandates or vaccine passes then using evidence and science changes her mind to support that it's OK. In fact a leader that can way evidence and be willing to admit they were wrong and change their position is good. But as I say I'm not in tune with what her position was.

Agreed, it would be good if she could base her opinions on science and research, but from the little I've heard from her, I think her priorities are more about getting elected rather than good Covid policy. Like you, I haven't heard much from her on the Covid front during her campaign despite being a health minister during Covid and potentially leading the province through another wave of Covid. Maybe I'm just in the dark, but my hunch is that she doesn't want to alienate potential votes by being strong for or against vaccine mandates.

15 minutes ago, WildPath said:

Definitely agree when the result reflects the whole populace of Manitoba, but our next premier is being chosen solely by those who are members of the PC party. My guess is a lot of the rural nutjobs proudly carry their PC card and are wanting to use it to get rid of restrictions. An addition, many anti-vax/restrictions groups have been pushing to gobble up PC memberships so they can essentially vote out restrictions and masks.

You'd have to think if Glover is elected and blows the Covid situation like her apparent idols Kenney/Moe then that would throw away the next election for the PCs. But voters have a short memory and many have already said that MB has done well with Covid, despite waging a war against healthcare workers during most of the pandemic and actually leading US/Can in Covid cases at various times during the pandemic.

Agreed, it would be good if she could base her opinions on science and research, but from the little I've heard from her, I think her priorities are more about getting elected rather than good Covid policy. Like you, I haven't heard much from her on the Covid front during her campaign despite being a health minister during Covid and potentially leading the province through another wave of Covid. Maybe I'm just in the dark, but my hunch is that she doesn't want to alienate potential votes by being strong for or against vaccine mandates.

Here is Stefanson’s Twitter statement on vaccines. As a further FYI, when she was health minister she took an extended leave of absence for a medical matter - a surgery is all I know - hence her lack of visibility during the second and third wave. 

Edited by TrueBlue4ever

Part 2/2

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 94 (up 2 ) 
 In ICU: 18 (down 1)
 Total patients in ICU (COVID and non-COVID): 87 (up 2)

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 3.8  per cent (up 0.1 percentage points)
 Tests completed Monday: 2,271

Regional breakdown of new Manitoba #COVID19 cases: 
 27 Winnipeg 
 24 Southern 
 24 Prairie Mountain
 17 Northern 
 10 Interlake-Eastern

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Here is Stefanson’s Twitter statement on vaccines. As a further FYI, when she was health minister she took an extended leave of absence for a medical matter - a surgery is all I know - hence her lack of visibility during the second and third wave. 

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. So basically our next premier will get rid of vaccine requirements. Great, I hear that's worked well for our western neighbours....

34 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Don't like it. How hard is it to say " We will follow the Drs advice when I'm Premier "  

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

Over %80 of the population agrees with vaccines and  masks and the vast majority of that %80 agrees with current restrictions. If the PCs want any hope of being elected in the next election their selection of leader and that leaders behavior post nomination must reflect that. The real question is can/did the party control or stop the anti everythings from joining and blowing things up by voting for Glover.

This here debunks the constant claims we are a divided community.

No we're not divided on this. We are the majority whether we like it or not who believe in doing what's best based on the actual science (not Karen and Todd's 'science') to be able to cohabitate with one another.

37 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

This here debunks the constant claims we are a divided community.

No we're not divided on this. We are the majority whether we like it or not who believe in doing what's best based on the actual science (not Karen and Todd's 'science') to be able to cohabitate with one another.

Winnipeg isn't very divided. Throw in the outside the city towns tho and several still are. 

50 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Winnipeg isn't very divided. Throw in the outside the city towns tho and several still are. 

Even that as a whole rural urban we still are the majority representing a diverse set of sane critical thinking human beings on this issue. Having outliers like Stanley or Winkler for example does not make us divisive. It’s the minority of (insert appropriate labels) that is being presented as the other equal side when in fact it’s a minority of people going against the strongest evidence available. If this were a democratic vote it would be a landslide victory for how we move forward.

2 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Well i think it's same old. Gov't employees under Pal were not forced.

I'm probably pretty far on the anti-Pallister spectrum, but he did show proactive decision making to delay a fourth wave. He struck out and has deaths on his hands for the first three waves, but (I'm making a face like I'm throwing out a month old garbage bag of baby diapers) Pallister and Goertzen likely successfully saved/delayed a lot of bad 4th wave outcomes by have mask and vaccine mandates. Its actually surprising how either one of our next premiers does not see that or have been able to learn from our previous 3 waves and the BS in Alberta/Sask.

17 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Even that as a whole rural urban we still are the majority representing a diverse set of sane critical thinking human beings on this issue. Having outliers like Stanley or Winkler for example does not make us divisive. It’s the minority of (insert appropriate labels) that is being presented as the other equal side when in fact it’s a minority of people going against the strongest evidence available. If this were a democratic vote it would be a landslide victory for how we move forward.

That is a damn shame about where we are right now. We finally get to pick a new premier, but only a portion of people get to vote on who it will be. Unfortunately that portion of people includes a large amount of those who are responsible for the upcoming 4th wave and bad Covid outcomes overall. Doesn't quite seem right.

3 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

With that kind of brilliant logic, we ought to do away with DWI laws, and allow people to make their own decisions and not mandate sober driving.

14 hours ago, WildPath said:

You know what I hate? Pants!

WIvFLgNQ0pLAiewTV-D6UbbxgZktSdvWbObedAVS

Yup so the suspenders can go right to the underwear. Muh freedom muh choice.

19 hours ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

Making choices based on facts not fear?  Fear being what? A pandemic that has killed droves of people, destroyed families and impacted the economy?