Covid-19

JCon

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 86 (up 4) 
In ICU: 20 (up 1)
Total patients in ICU (COVID and non-COVID): 90 (up 2)

Five-day Manitoba #COVID19 test-positivity rate: 3.0  per cent (up 0.2 percentage points)
Tests completed Monday: 3,113

The seven-day average daily #COVID19 case count in Manitoba rises to 84.

Of today's 114 new cases, 85 either have no shots (77) or one shot (8).
Of 668 active cases, 488 either have no shots (421) or one shot (67).

Of 48 infectious cases in hospital, 38 either have no shots (34) or one shot (4).
Of 14 infectious patients in ICU, 12 have no shots and 2 have one shot.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

20 minutes ago, JCon said:

Lock down the Southern Health region. They're dragging us into a 4th wave for their own selfish reasons. 

Apparently to some we should not shame people, discriminate against people who have no legitimate reason not to take this FDA approved vaccine to help curb this pandemic that has killed droves of people worldwide. We need to respect their freedom to choose but continue to try to sway them with friendly chatter.

It's not their fault it's the people who are feeding them the lies that are at fault and should be held accountable.

How's this approach working to date? 

Challenge is deciphering who the lied to are and who are the liars. In a lot of cases they're the same person. 

1 hour ago, rebusrankin said:

We had regional restrictions imposed on the Prairie Mountain and Winnipeg regions in the past, time to do it to Southern. Lock it down.

Why bother? It wouldn't solve anything. Many living within the SHD commute to Winnipeg daily. You would also be "punishing" thousands that are vaccinated. Most of the SHD is vaccinated at or near provincial averages. You lock down Portage and the RM of MacDonald because of Winkler and Stanley? 

It sounds great but just isn't feasible. 

Best thing to try would be enhanced enforcement of the rules that are in place in areas that are not following them.

Instead of just getting vaccinated, anti-vaxxers are drinking iodine antiseptic

Another ineffective treatment for COVID-19 is being promoted in anti-vaccine and science-skeptical circles.

First there was hydroxychloroquine, then ivermectin; now, according to multiple reports, some Americans are gargling and/or ingesting the iodine-based liquid Betadine to prevent COVID-19 — instead of getting vaccinated.

Betadine is the brand name for povidone-iodine, an amber-colored liquid typically sold as a 10% solution as an antiseptic for cleaning wounds and skin. A 0.5% solution is sold as a gargle for sore throats, but the manufacturer cautions people not to swallow it. Recently, the manufacturer warned consumers not to consume Betadine to treat COVID-19, or rely on it as a form of treatment.

"Betadine Antiseptic First Aid products have not been approved to treat coronavirus," reads a statement on the manufacturer's website. "Products should only be used to help prevent infection in minor cuts, scrapes and burns. Betadine Antiseptic products have not been demonstrated to be effective for the treatment or prevention of COVID-19 or any other viruses."

Depending on which type of Betadine one ingests, side effects can range from stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever, extreme thirst, being unable to urinate to diarrhea, vomiting, and burning a person's gastrointestinal tract.

As mentioned, there isn't sound scientific evidence that Betadine would treat or prevent COVID-19. So how did this trend start?

While a precise timeline is hard to reconstruct, several sources on social media promoted the use of Betadine to treat COVID-19 starting at the end of last year. Specifically, one video of a purported doctor went viral in April 2021; in it, the doctor states that Betadine helps treat and prevent COVID-19.

Instead of just getting vaccinated, anti-vaxxers are drinking iodine antiseptic | Salon.com

1 hour ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Should would be nice if a doctor or two said they wont see you unless you have been vaccinated. 

Except of course they would lose their license. Drs can’t chose not to help a patient. Even propagating the idea makes the problem worse. Yes, I’ve be the angry “sell them to North Dakota” type but I am based that. I’m not sure if I can do so far as to say I pity them but I am sad for them. Most of them just aren’t educated enough to be able to tell right from wrong. We as a society have failed them and are somewhat responsible for allowing them to become the way they are. 

Instead of scorn maybe we need to try the sympathy route for a change. 

Doctors have called upon the province multiple times to develop triage protocols whenever it appears another Covid wave is coming. I wonder if part of that is to allow them to prioritize those who are vaccinated or in ICU for other conditions over the unvaccinate / I'll die before I admit Covid is real camp. Many health care professionals have mourned that non-Covid patients have died in hospital while waiting treatment because the hospitals are filled with a wave of Covid patients.

12 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Except of course they would lose their license. Drs can’t chose not to help a patient. Even propagating the idea makes the problem worse. Yes, I’ve be the angry “sell them to North Dakota” type but I am based that. I’m not sure if I can do so far as to say I pity them but I am sad for them. Most of them just aren’t educated enough to be able to tell right from wrong. We as a society have failed them and are somewhat responsible for allowing them to become the way they are. 

Instead of scorn maybe we need to try the sympathy route for a change. 

Doctors have a right to refuse to see patients who are infectious or have a probability of being infectious and thus may make the doctor or staff ill. This is already happening in the US and Britain.

And on another note:

Hacker reveals right-wing health care network made millions off ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine

Instead of getting vaccinated and following the very simple social distancing and mask requirements public health officials at every level are suggesting, millions of (mostly) conservative Americans continue to put their faith in unproven drugs to free them from the anxieties produced by our global coronavirus pandemic. The tortured lengths to which some people will go to get access to ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug most frequently used as a horse dewormer, would be laughable if the results weren't so tragic. But ivermectin—and its predecessor in this area, hydroxychloroquine—have both been proven to not do much of anything for people suffering from COVID-19.

The United States spent a boatload during the Trump administration to collect millions of doses of hydroxychloroquine. Florida's anti-science nightmare of a governor, Ron DeSantis, used taxpayer money to end up sitting on a pile of around 980,000 doses of the anti-malaria drug that can treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, but not COVID-19. Florida continues to see rising deaths and hospitalizations even though vaccinations and public distancing have been proven, in other states of the union, to prevent these terrible outcomes. But don't you worry: According to a new report, the people making money are on the exact same team as the people pushing the wrong medicine.

According to The Intercept, there's a nice "network" of health care providers who have made millions on ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine during the pandemic. Do you remember the right-wing conspiracy theory-laden group of white medical uniform-wearing folks who called themselves America's Frontline Doctors (AFLDS)? They promoted hydroxychloroquine as a miracle answer to COVID-19, and were able to get Republicans like Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine to reverse course on hydroxychloroquine bans. Guess what The Intercept found?

America's Frontline Doctors, a right-wing group founded last year to promote pro-Trump doctors during the coronavirus pandemic, is working in tandem with a small network of health care companies to sow distrust in the Covid-19 vaccine, dupe tens of thousands of people into seeking ineffective treatments for the disease, and then sell consultations and millions of dollars' worth of those medications. The data indicate patients spent at least $15 million — and potentially much more — on consultations and medications combined.

Hacker reveals right-wing health care network made millions off ivermectin and hydroxychloroquine - Alternet.org

Edited by Tracker

On shutting down Southern Health

It would make way more sense to shutdown the problem areas. You shut down Stanley RM and Winkler. And any other RM that is really lagging. It's no harder than shutting down a complete health district. You could do if by vaccination rate. Any City or RM below a particular rate.There are entire RMs/towns/ Cities with good vaccination rates that have little to no contact with Winkler/ Stanley. If you have 1 poorly vaxed reserve in the North it shouldn't be right to shut down the entire Northern health district. Or to shut down Winnipeg health if say the North end had poor rates.

6 minutes ago, the watcher said:

On shutting down Southern Health

It would make way more sense to shutdown the problem areas. You shut down Stanley RM and Winkler. And any other RM that is really lagging. It's no harder than shutting down a complete health district. You could do if by vaccination rate. Any City or RM below a particular rate.There are entire RMs/towns/ Cities with good vaccination rates that have little to no contact with Winkler/ Stanley. If you have 1 poorly vaxed reserve in the North it shouldn't be right to shut down the entire Northern health district. Or to shut down Winnipeg health if say the North end had poor rates.

Well they basically did do that so we could hit 80 percent in Winnipeg. Shut down Stanley and Winkler until they are also. 

30 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Problem there is the entire district is below 80. Well below 

Gonna be honest... eventually the southern district will run out of people 

Thats because alot of the  district is being dragged down by extremely low numbers in particular areas. The problem is Stanley in particular and Winkler somewhat will not get vaccinated , EVER. No matter what. This isn't a temporary shutdown. There is no way it is right to shutdown Portage or even Morden ( which is surrounded by Stanley ) permanently when they are not the problem. It would be about the same as shutting down Winnipeg because Winkler isn't vaxed. They are separate Cities that happen to be in the same district. I'm pretty sure no one from Portage is traveling to Winkler. Hit the problem areas within the district might work. But whatever is done it can't be geared to  asking/ forcing/convincing/ getting those idiots to get vaxed. It's not going to happen.

It's damn frustrating 

Edited by the watcher

21 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Apparently to some we should not shame people, discriminate against people who have no legitimate reason not to take this FDA approved vaccine to help curb this pandemic that has killed droves of people worldwide. We need to respect their freedom to choose but continue to try to sway them with friendly chatter.

It's not their fault it's the people who are feeding them the lies that are at fault and should be held accountable.

How's this approach working to date? 

Challenge is deciphering who the lied to are and who are the liars. In a lot of cases they're the same person. 

The way to get people to accept your beliefs/ideas/general facts is never with shame/discrimination. Obviously the situation around vaxxing is frustrating. But all that would happen is more division. I don't know if you forgot or maybe it's never happened to you...but most people don't like being spoken down to and will almost always write off what your message is when it's delivered that way.

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar or something like that.