Covid-19

JCon

A Manitoba health card is no longer a requirement to get proof of COVID-19 vaccination.

People who've been fully vaccinated but don't have a Manitoba health card can request an immunization card by calling 1-844-MAN-VACC (1-844-626-8222), the province announced Monday.

Previously, anyone who didn't have a health card — including international students and members of the military — couldn't get proof of immunization, and public-health officials had said they were working on a solution.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

12 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

30% cases in those fully vaccinated is a lot higher than other jurisdiction are reporting, no? Small sample size I guess.

They need to report how many vaccinated cases have severe outcomes. If the aim is to prevent hospitalizations, then they need to give those numbers. 

Help me out:  Is it Alberbama or Alberssippi?  This is not a Beaverton article!

UCP caucus chair suggests he hopes to see accelerated COVID rates before decline in Alberta

Nathan Neudorf says UCP's pandemic plan will allow COVID to go through unvaccinated population

Sarah Moore · CBC News · Posted: Aug 29, 2021 3:38 PM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

United Conservative Party caucus chair Nathan Neudorf suggested he is hopeful Alberta will see an "accelerated case rate, but then a very quick decline" of COVID-19 as the coronavirus makes its way through the more than 1.5 million Albertans who have yet to be vaccinated.

Appearing on Bridge City News, a program based in Lethbridge on Friday, Neudorf spoke to the UCP government's decision to loosen COVID-19 restrictions, now that cases in Alberta are soaring.

Alberta recorded 1,168 new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 26 — several hundred more than any other Canadian province.

"Once these case numbers have gone through the unvaccinated, where do they go?" the Lethbridge-East MLA said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-neudorf-ucp-covid-1.6157132

Edited by Wideleft

15 minutes ago, Wideleft said:

Help me out:  Is it Alberbama or Alberssippi?  This is not a Beaverton article!

UCP caucus chair suggests he hopes to see accelerated COVID rates before decline in Alberta

Nathan Neudorf says UCP's pandemic plan will allow COVID to go through unvaccinated population

Sarah Moore · CBC News · Posted: Aug 29, 2021 3:38 PM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

United Conservative Party caucus chair Nathan Neudorf suggested he is hopeful Alberta will see an "accelerated case rate, but then a very quick decline" of COVID-19 as the coronavirus makes its way through the more than 1.5 million Albertans who have yet to be vaccinated.

Appearing on Bridge City News, a program based in Lethbridge on Friday, Neudorf spoke to the UCP government's decision to loosen COVID-19 restrictions, now that cases in Alberta are soaring.

Alberta recorded 1,168 new cases of COVID-19 on Aug. 26 — several hundred more than any other Canadian province.

"Once these case numbers have gone through the unvaccinated, where do they go?" the Lethbridge-East MLA said.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nathan-neudorf-ucp-covid-1.6157132

Picard Facepalm GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Spreadnecks and stupidity: name a better duo.

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I am curious why we've seen a higher %of fully vaxed people in Manitoba cases compared to other jurisdictions.

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering why our vaccination rate is so high, I think it's because Manitoba's population is majority urban.

If you're asking why we have more cases from vaxxed people (and I haven't seen that data), it could be because we have more vaxxed people and that many of the infections occurred before 2nd vax + 2 weeks.

But I'm just speculating.

37 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

FWIW the weekend total was 215 so 90 Fri/Sat 😮

There were 182 cases over the weekend, including 34 on Monday. Sunday 46, and Saturday 102. 

Friday was 31. 

Edited by JCon

Lots of those cases... a first nation area. Something like 29 or so just from that first nation alone  

2 weeks until your last shot until you are fully vaxxed. I'd assume some of those cases are from ppl who prob went out and partied a bit a day or 2 after the 2nd dose   

Vaxxed ppl or non vaxxed can only get it from being exposed to it for more than 20 minutes so.. restaraunts or public gatherings likely. Mask mandate not in effect again until Saturday right 

Edited by Goalie

12 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I was curious why we've had a few days of 25% of the cases being from the fully vaxxed when Alberta has been around 15% and many US States around 10%.

Alberta still has about 1.5 million unvaxxed.  Only 52% of America is fully vaxxed.  When you're working with the smaller Manitoba numbers, I believe it skews the percentages.

6 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

I was curious why we've had a few days of 25% of the cases being from the fully vaxxed when Alberta has been around 15% and many US States around 10%.

Because a higher proportion of vaccinated people means that there are less unvaccinated problem to catch COVID in absolute numbers. 

Say we are 85% doubly vaxxed, then there are fewer unvaxxed people around to catch it, and since the vaccine doesn’t eliminate the chance of getting it, our numbers skew higher.  In Alberta, if only 25% are vaxxed, then (a) the overall rate of infection is likely higher, and (b) tons more people are susceptible to it being unvaxxed, so they will push those percentages higher for that population. 

(Just when you thought it couldn't get any crazier in the US):

Ivermectin must be administered despite CDC and FDA warnings, Ohio judge orders
A COVID patient's wife got a prescription from an Ivermectin promoter but the hospital refused to administer it.  
An Ohio judge ordered a Cincinnati-area hospital to treat a patient with Ivermectin, a drug commonly used to deworm livestock, despite warnings from federal health agencies.

Butler County Judge Gregory Howard last week ordered West Chester Hospital, which is part of the University of Cincinnati network, to "immediately administer Ivermectin" to 51-year-old Jeffrey Smith daily for the next three weeks. The ruling came after Smith's wife, Julie Smith, asked the court for an emergency order to use the drug to treat her husband, who is on a ventilator and has been in an ICU for weeks, according to the Ohio Capital Journal. The lawsuit did not say whether Smith was vaccinated but state data shows that fewer than 500 of the more than 20,000 hospitalized Covid patients in the state have been fully vaccinated.

Julie Smith "found Ivermectin on her own" and connected with Dr. Fred Wagshul, an Ohio physician that her lawsuit described as "one of the foremost experts on using Ivermectin in treating COVID-19," who prescribed the drug but the hospital refused to administer it, according to the Capital Journal.

Wagshul is a co-founder of the Front Line Covid-19 Critical Care Alliance, a nonprofit that promotes the use of Ivermectin despite warnings from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration that it has no effect and could be dangerous.

Dr. Leanne Chrisman-Khawam, a physician and Ohio University professor, called the group "snake oil salesmen," noting that there are "serious" issues with their research and that the studies they cite often "don't show positive results" and have "design flaws."

"Based on evidence-based medicine and my read on this large number of small studies, I would find this very suspect, even the positive outcomes," she told the Capital Journal.

Ivermectin must be administered despite CDC and FDA warnings, Ohio judge orders | Salon.com

21 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Not exactly sure what you're asking, but if you're wondering why our vaccination rate is so high, I think it's because Manitoba's population is majority urban.

We are a centrist province politically/mentally. Half the time we vote non Conservative.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg