Covid-19

JCon

Texas doctor sounds alarm on rising COVID cases among children: 'We certainly have used ventilators'

One Texas doctor is raising awareness about the rise in severe cases of COVID-19 among children. According to The Houston Press, Dr. Jim Versalovic of Texas Children's Hospital has a warning for parents. The rapidly spreading Delta variant of the coronavirus could land some children in intensive care.

Speaking to the publication, Versalovic shed light on what he has been seeing in the hospital where he works. Since the onset of the pandemic, there has been a misconception about the virus where children are concerned. Although Republican leaders and lawmakers have repeatedly argued that children are less likely to contract COVID, Versalovic argues otherwise.

At the Texas Children's Hospital, some children have not only been admitted for coronavirus but have also ended up in the intensive care unit (ICU), and in dire cases, on ventilators.

Of the children hospitalized in critical care, "some have required ventilator support," Versalovic admitted to the publication. "We have seen severe cases of COVID pneumonia and acute respiratory distress in children. And we certainly have used ventilators when appropriate, selectively."

Texas doctor sounds alarm on rising COVID cases among children: 'We certainly have used ventilators' - Alternet.org

13 minutes ago, bustamente said:

It's a little depressing seeing the icu numbers  ticking up, I know that this will never happen but really any unvaccinated person who needs to go to the icu after all that we have been thru should be charge for their stay and for their stupidity.

lagging indicator....the hospital/icu will come down in a few weeks. 

Meanwhile, in AB, with an R Value higher than at any point in the 3rd wave (apparently), the CMOH is coming out today to announce even less restrictions: 

I'm absolutely terrified to live in this province right now. Even though I'm double vaxxed, no vaccine is perfect, and we're creating a culture where the virus will be much easier to transmit, mutate and maybe even become stronger than the vaccines and break through. Legitimately scared to live here now. 

Yeah that's such a dumb move... 

However don't be totally paranoid. Vaccines are still effective at keeping people from getting seriously ill. 

We were never going to wait until there were no covid cases to get back to normal. They're going too fast with too little information, but this was always something that we were going to have to live with eventually. 

9 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Yeah that's such a dumb move... 

However don't be totally paranoid. Vaccines are still effective at keeping people from getting seriously ill. 

We were never going to wait until there were no covid cases to get back to normal. They're going too fast with too little information, but this was always something that we were going to have to live with eventually. 

I know there are some people here in MB who think we should be moving quicker like AB, but I REALLY hope that we don't.  It may be overly cautious, but I'm ok with that.

I played Ultimate on Tuesday and I may have been the only person on any of the fields wearing a mask, but I wasn't going to take any chances with being that close to people I don't know.

10 minutes ago, Sard said:

I know there are some people here in MB who think we should be moving quicker like AB, but I REALLY hope that we don't.  It may be overly cautious, but I'm ok with that.

I played Ultimate on Tuesday and I may have been the only person on any of the fields wearing a mask, but I wasn't going to take any chances with being that close to people I don't know.

I had been getting a bit slacker in wearing my mask...not anymore. Things are getting completely out of hand out west here, so I'll be back in my mask pretty much full time. ******* assholes everywhere. 

27 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I'm absolutely terrified to live in this province right now. Even though I'm double vaxxed, no vaccine is perfect, and we're creating a culture where the virus will be much easier to transmit, mutate and maybe even become stronger than the vaccines and break through. Legitimately scared to live here now. 

Please correct me if I am wrong but I believe this starts August 16th? I am scheduled to drive through on the 17th, will have to teach the 8 yr old how to hold it until we get to the gap.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

it's ******* terrifying....

US Dept of Defense has just announced that all armed forces and civilian personnel will be required to wear masks while on base again. Dual Vaccination is not an exemption to this rule.  Friend of mine that fixes planes and isn't within 6ft of anyone for hours at a time is kind of pissed but understands.

AB is beyond what the US is doing, I can't believe Dr Hincliffe signed off and even made this announcement. CMA may want to start a license review.

3 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

US Dept of Defense has just announced that all armed forces and civilian personnel will be required to wear masks while on base again. Dual Vaccination is not an exemption to this rule.  Friend of mine that fixes planes and isn't within 6ft of anyone for hours at a time is kind of pissed but understands.

AB is beyond what the US is doing, I can't believe Dr Hincliffe signed off and even made this announcement. CMA may want to start a license review.

Hinshaw is a complete puppet at this point. The lunatics are running the asylum around here. We're actually seeing a Trump Alberta in real time....I actually fear for my life. 

49 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

AB is beyond what the US is doing, I can't believe Dr Hinshaw signed off and even made this announcement. CMA may want to start a license review.

Quite frankly, I can believe it. Everything other than vaccines is 90% bull poop anyway.  She's a professional & I think she could stand her ground if she really needed to. Just watch, MB will soon do the same thing. Dr. Roussin has been hinting for a while now - 'that we will have public health measures in place, but they will not be mandated or enforced.'  They need to shift their focus to those pockets of vaccine hesitancy and forget about group sizes and capacity limits.  

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Quite frankly, I can believe it. Everything other than vaccines is 90% bull poop anyway.  She's a professional & I think she could stand her ground if she really needed to. Just watch, MB will soon do the same thing. Dr. Roussin has been hinting for a while now - 'that we will have public health measures in place, but they will not be mandated or enforced.'  They need to shift their focus to those pockets of vaccine hesitancy and forget about group sizes and capacity limits.  

Sask has announced they're following AB's lead, and you just know that Pallister wants to be next. The 3 Con provinces are mostly in lock step....

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I don’t think Roussin has hinted at removing testing and self isolation for the + cases. That is the truly disturbing part of the AB plan. 

so far they have been criticized for being slow at reopening, let’s hope they don’t bow to that pressure. 

Just saw this interview with an AB Dr posted on Reddit from CTV this morning. 

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=2250447

6 minutes ago, GCJenks said:

I don’t think Roussin has hinted at removing testing and self isolation for the + cases. That is the truly disturbing part of the AB plan. 

Yes, that would be disturbing.  But it's also disturbing that contact tracers have not been delivering a consistent message.  

The thing about Jason kenney and alberta is that the hardcore base was going to cost him an election because he did too much for their tastes regarding covid. So to avoid being a failure who ran as a conservative and lost an election in Alberta he is doubling down to save his own ass at the expense of everyone else. Imagine being so passionate about ******* up education and Healthcare that you have to literally kill people to accomplish it?

16 hours ago, GCJenks said:

so far they have been criticized for being slow at reopening, let’s hope they don’t bow to that pressure. 

Just saw this interview with an AB Dr posted on Reddit from CTV this morning. 

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=2250447

That's one angry Doctor and rightly so. I get that we want and need to reduce restrictions as the numbers drop. It's important for economic health and mental health. BUT it has to follow medical advice .And make medical sense.The last thing the economy or our mental health needs is another surge in cases. Some of those changes in Alberta don't even make sense.They border on sheer stupidity. Politics needs to stay the hell out of pandemic decisions.

1 hour ago, the watcher said:

That's one angry Doctor and rightly so. I get that we want and need to reduce restrictions as the numbers drop. It's important for economic health and mental health. BUT it has to follow medical advice .And make medical sense.The last thing the economy or our mental health needs is another surge in cases. Some of those changes in Alberta don't even make sense.They border on sheer stupidity. Politics needs to stay the hell out of pandemic decisions.

In the Shrek movie, the bad ruler says, " I know some of you will die, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make."

CDC Slideshow: Delta Variant Is Far More Transmissible, Even Among the Vaccinated
-Getty
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention acknowledged in a leaked slideshow that the Delta variant of the coronavirus is far more transmissible than others, even among vaccinated individuals. The agency is struggling to communicate to the public that vaccinations are still the best defense of the coronavirus, despite the threat of the more contagious Delta variant and the rising number of breakthrough infections. According to a slide deck obtained by The Washington Post, the agency knows it is fighting “communications challenges” in a losing battle against public sentiment. One part of the presentation reads, “Public convinced vaccines no longer work/booster doses needed.” The leak comes the same day the agency reinstated recommendations that people in regions of the United States experiencing another wave of infections wear masks indoors, including vaccinated people. Another slide urges officials to “acknowledge the war has changed” because the Delta variant is so much more transmissible than previous versions, even among the vaccinated.

(Even more evidence that mask-wearing should continue)