Covid-19

JCon

A part of me hopes that we see the surge in AB/SK earlier rather than later. PCs really needs something concrete, happening right now, to dissuade him from following the leader. So far, unless its happening in MB, we seem to think we're immune to what happens elsewhere. I don't have too much of a problem with loosening some restrictions for vaccinated individuals, but unvaxxed need to be prevented from ruining things for others. Especially for kids and immunocompromised.

19 hours ago, GCJenks said:

Just saw this interview with an AB Dr posted on Reddit from CTV this morning. 

https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/mobile/video?clipId=2250447

regarding the Alberta Government and "everyone has the right to security of the person"

"We don't have time to go through a Charter challenge to say don't kill me." 

That is really, quite insane.

Christian summer camp morphs into national Covid superspreader: Salvation Before Survival

A rural Christian summer camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina appears to be the origin of a super spreader that now spans across several states. According to The State. Transylvania County public health officials have linked a total of 76 COVID cases across 17 states to The Wilds Christian Camp and Conference Center.

The publication reports that the Transylvania Public Health Department has identified new cases in the following states: "Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin."

However, public health officials are not sure the reported cases are the only ones.

"There's certainly a possibility that more cases could be identified," Transylvania Public Health spokesperson Tara Rybka said.

Now, some parents of children who spent time at The Wilds are speaking out. Speaking to The Daily Beast, one mother, Brooke Taylor Jansen, admitted that she found it concerning when she was notified that her 15-year-old son's upcoming summer session was being canceled due to positive COVID cases among camp counselors and campers.

"I was surprised that there was an outbreak among counselors," Jensen said. "I guess I assumed most had been vaccinated as I wouldn't have considered sending my son if he hadn't been and from the sounds of it that wasn't the case."

The Wilds released a statement addressing the issue on its website. "The Wilds will continue to take significant precautions to protect our staff and campers from COVID-19 this summer," the statement said. "While we have had some campers and staff either test positive or exhibit symptoms at different points this summer, we plan to continue to safely serve your camper through the remainder of the summer as the Lord allows."

(I think God has said to stop being idiots)

Just now, Tracker said:

Christian summer camp morphs into national Covid superspreader: Salvation Before Survival

A rural Christian summer camp in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina appears to be the origin of a super spreader that now spans across several states. According to The State. Transylvania County public health officials have linked a total of 76 COVID cases across 17 states to The Wilds Christian Camp and Conference Center.

The publication reports that the Transylvania Public Health Department has identified new cases in the following states: "Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin."

However, public health officials are not sure the reported cases are the only ones.

"There's certainly a possibility that more cases could be identified," Transylvania Public Health spokesperson Tara Rybka said.

Now, some parents of children who spent time at The Wilds are speaking out. Speaking to The Daily Beast, one mother, Brooke Taylor Jansen, admitted that she found it concerning when she was notified that her 15-year-old son's upcoming summer session was being canceled due to positive COVID cases among camp counselors and campers.

"I was surprised that there was an outbreak among counselors," Jensen said. "I guess I assumed most had been vaccinated as I wouldn't have considered sending my son if he hadn't been and from the sounds of it that wasn't the case."

The Wilds released a statement addressing the issue on its website. "The Wilds will continue to take significant precautions to protect our staff and campers from COVID-19 this summer," the statement said. "While we have had some campers and staff either test positive or exhibit symptoms at different points this summer, we plan to continue to safely serve your camper through the remainder of the summer as the Lord allows."

(I think God has said to stop being idiots)

Wow Shocker GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

More from Bartley Kives:

Manitoba #COVID19 patients in hospital: 93 (down 9) In ICU: 25 (down 4)   - This is really good news!

Manitoba recorded another 11,745 #COVID19 vaccine doses.

Manitobans with 1 shot: 953,041

Proportion of Manitobans 12 and up with 1 shot: 79.5% (Sept. 6 target 80%)

Two shots: 825,012 Proportion with 2 shots: 69.3% (Sept. 6 target 75%) Manitobans aged 12 and up: ~1,189,903

Looking really good here Manitoba!

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Internal CDC memo paints grim picture of threat from new COVID variant: report.  An internal CDC memo shared with the press reveals just how scary the delta variant is to public health officials

Back in March Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), told reporters that she feared the rise of mutant coronavirus strains and a premature relaxing of COVID-19 restrictions would cause a pandemic resurgence.

"I'm going to pause here, I'm going to lose the script and I'm going to reflect on the recurring feeling I have of impending doom," Walensky explained at the time. "We have so much to look forward to. So much promise and potential of where we are and so much reason for hope. But right now I'm scared."

Flash forward four months, and Walensky's fears seem to have come true.

An internal CDC slide presentation first obtained by The Washington Post reveals that a mutant strain known as the delta variant seems to spread as easily as chickenpox and cause more severe illnesses than other types of COVID-19. The document urges public officials to accept that "the war has changed" in terms of our fight against the pandemic and emphasizes the need for effective messaging about getting vaccinated, wearing masks and other health measures.

Perhaps most ominously, the document raised the possibility that vaccinated individuals may be just as likely to transmit the delta variant as unvaccinated individuals. The CDC based this assessment off of unpublished data from a number of scientific sources, many of which found that vaccinated people infected with the variant have similar measurable viral loads as unvaccinated people with the same infection. On one slide, experts estimated that among the 162 million vaccinated Americans there are 35,000 symptomatic infections each week. Findings like this one were apparently instrumental in the CDC's recent call for everyone — unvaccinated and vaccinated alike — to wear masks when indoors in areas where the virus transmission is high or prolonged.

Speaking to CNN, Walensky emphasized the seriousness of the crisis.

"I think people need to understand that we're not crying wolf here. This is serious," Walensky said. "It's one of the most transmissible viruses we know about. Measles, chickenpox, this — they're all up there."

Walensky also said that anyone who goes to a school should wear a mask at all times.

"The measures we need to get this under control — they're extreme. The measures you need are extreme," Walensky explained.

Internal CDC memo paints grim picture of threat from new COVID variant: report | Salon.com

On 2021-07-29 at 2:51 PM, 17to85 said:

The thing about Jason kenney and alberta is that the hardcore base was going to cost him an election because he did too much for their tastes regarding covid. So to avoid being a failure who ran as a conservative and lost an election in Alberta he is doubling down to save his own ass at the expense of everyone else. Imagine being so passionate about ******* up education and Healthcare that you have to literally kill people to accomplish it?

KenneyAlberta.jpg

Honestly, I think AB was just the first to do it and it'll get copied by everyone in short order, especially the fiscal Conservative governments that want to save money by cutting a lot of the COVID related costs. We're just gonna have to get used to it. Take our own precautions... Keep your mask on... Keep distancing. Do everything right, even tho it's not mandated. 

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

Honestly, I think AB was just the first to do it and it'll get copied by everyone in short order, especially the fiscal Conservative governments that want to save money by cutting a lot of the COVID related costs. We're just gonna have to get used to it. Take our own precautions... Keep your mask on... Keep distancing. Do everything right, even tho it's not mandated. 

To be totally honest, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.  I would say they are rolling the dice, and hoping there won't be too many problems with pockets of unvaccinated people. 

4 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

They need to tell us if any of the vaccinated people had severe outcomes.  And if they won't give that information, then all they're doing is providing fodder for the anti-vaxxers. 

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

To be totally honest, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner.  I would say they are rolling the dice, and hoping there won't be too many problems with pockets of unvaccinated people. 

They need to tell us if any of the vaccinated people had severe outcomes.  And if they won't give that information, then all they're doing is providing fodder for the anti-vaxxers. 

Oddly enough, Pallister's dismal approval ratings may save the lives of many Manitobans. His image is that of an arrogant idiot and if he follows suit with Kenny, his popularity will plummet even further, along with the PC party's. We should hope that any hope he has of salvaging his image might convince him and his party to act in the best interest of the majority of voters instead of appeasing his nutball base. 

19 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Florida has reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic, 

Florida Records Highest-Ever Daily COVID-19 Case Count, More Than 21,000.  Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has resisted mandatory mask mandates and vaccine requirements.

Florida reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic, according to federal health data released Saturday, as its theme park resorts again started asking visitors to wear masks indoors.

The state has become the new national epicenter for the virus, accounting for around a fifth of all new cases in the U.S.

Republican Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has resisted mandatory mask mandates and vaccine requirements, and along with the state Legislature, has limited local officials’ ability to impose restrictions meant to stop the spread of COVID-19. DeSantis on Friday barred school districts from requiring students to wear masks when classes resume next month.

-AP

22 hours ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Florida has reported 21,683 new cases of COVID-19, the state’s highest one-day total since the start of the pandemic, 

'It just went boom': Florida ICU's swamped with younger COVID victims

According to a report from the Miami Herald, Florida hospitals are being overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients once again in frightening numbers as the Delta variant spreads rapidly among the unvaccinated in the state.

Florida has long been a hot spot for COVID-19 infections as Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis has resisted recommendations from health officials and refuses to mandate the wearing of masks -- recently giving parents the option of not masking up their kids returning to school.

As the Herald report notes, the new flood of victims flooding in are even sicker than before -- and also younger.

Pointing out that every bed in Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital is filled at the moment, the report notes that every patient was unvaccinated and now suffering the devastating effect of COVID-19.

"The youngest patient, a 27-year-old woman on a ventilator, had to be resuscitated with a bag valve mask after her blood oxygen saturation levels crashed. The oldest, a 71-year-old man, has been in the ICU for two weeks. He has been in a coma for three days. When he awakens, if he awakens, he will be a widower. The man's wife, also hospitalized with COVID-19, died two days earlier," the report states. "Many healthcare workers at Jackson Memorial thought the end of the pandemic was in sight, largely due to the effectiveness of the vaccines. Then the delta variant took hold, particularly in areas with low vaccination rates, and cases are surging again, only at a faster clip."

Describing the sudden surge from variant, Ademola Ayo Akinkunmi, director of patient care services for Jackson Health bluntly stated, "It just went boom," before adding, "No matter how hard we work to discharge patients we know there are others coming."

The report goes on to note, "In Florida, the number of new cases and the rate of positive tests for the virus that causes COVID-19 — a measure known as the level of community transmission — is high in all 67 counties, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data. On Saturday, Florida reported 21,683 new COVID-19 cases as of July 30, the single-highest daily COVID case count since the pandemic began 18 months ago, according to CDC data. The seven-day moving average soared to 15,817, a more than 750% increase since July 1."

'It just went boom': Florida ICU's swamped with younger COVID victims - Alternet.org