Covid-19

JCon

I suspect they thought that most people would just take their e-vaxx card and ignore the printed one. But, they forgot this is Manitoba, so getting a free card in the mail is a great deal and many were ordered. 

I almost ordered one, then gave my head a shake. 

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Hey, my parents are in their 70s and don't have phones. I am assuming, I can use my phone to display my digital record and theirs if we go out.

Yes, you can. 

I would suggest that you test it beforehand though. Obtain their login and password and ensure you get the QR code. But, then, when you're out, you will need to log into all three accounts. 

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, you can. 

I would suggest that you test it beforehand though. Obtain their login and password and ensure you get the QR code. But, then, when you're out, you will need to log into all three accounts. 

Take a screenshot of each so you just have to bring up the pictures, rather than logging in to each account when you need it.

12 minutes ago, Sard said:

Take a screenshot of each so you just have to bring up the pictures, rather than logging in to each account when you need it.

Make it the lock screen :P

21 minutes ago, JCon said:

Yes, you can. 

If you/anyone is logged into your/their Manitoba Immunization Verifier app you can read anyone's QR vac code and it comes up with their name.

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Make it the lock screen :P

If you/anyone is logged into your/their Manitoba Immunization Verifier app you can read anyone's QR vac code and it comes up with their name.

What is the Immunization Verifier app called (for Android)?  I've searched for it and there are a number of options but I'm not sure which is the real one.

53 minutes ago, Sard said:

What is the Immunization Verifier app called (for Android)?  I've searched for it and there are a number of options but I'm not sure which is the real one.

It's not on there right now. It's been off for a bit. Sounds like it's coming back soon. Reimer thought it was back up yesterday. 

3 hours ago, iHeart said:

To be honest I would rather have a physical card over a digital card considering that my smartphone doesn't read QR codes for some reason (was I supposed to install that reader?)

Your phone does not need to read qr codes.

Login to the site and when you QR code is on the screem take a screen shot .. Now when you need it, just bring up the picture on your phone..

or. login from you pc, print the page with your QR code showing as a pdf and then email it to yourseld and bring it up when you need it or safe the file to your phone. 

The five undervaccinated clusters putting entire U.S. at risk. "These clusters of unvaccinated people are what is standing in the way of us putting this virus down permanently"

Anew data analysis by researchers at Georgetown University pinpoints a number of under-vaccinated clusters of the United States that pose a significant threat to the nation's—and potentially the world's—gradual progress against the Covid-19 pandemic, particularly given their potential to serve as "factories" for extremely contagious variants such as the now-dominant Delta strain.

The five most significant clusters identified by the Georgetown researchers are largely located in the southern U.S., in states such as Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana—all of which are currently experiencing a rise in coronavirus cases as Delta rips through communities concentrated with people who have yet to receive a single vaccine shot. Those clusters include more than 15 million people.

"The group of counties in each cluster... together have lower vaccination coverage than expected, and make up a large population size. All of the top five clusters are focused in the southeastern U.S.," the researchers note.

"The more geographically clustered unvaccinated individuals are," the analysis continues, "the higher the chance that an unvaccinated individual will interact with another unvaccinated individual, and the higher the chance that a disease transmission event will occur. Low vaccination clusters, therefore, are locations where risk of transmission of Covid-19 remains high (in the absence of social distancing and masking)."

Because "variant emergence stems from disease transmission," the report notes that every new transmission of the disease "creates an opportunity for a new variant to transmit to another host and take hold in a population.

Therefore, the researchers write, "curbing transmission events is our best recourse to prevent variant emergence."

The five undervaccinated clusters putting entire U.S. at risk | Salon.com

32 minutes ago, Tracker said:

"The five most significant clusters identified by the Georgetown researchers are largely located in the southern U.S., in states such as Georgia, Alabama, Arkansas, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Louisiana."

I count 6 clusters :D

Woman Dies With Two COVID-19 Variants After Contracting Virus From Different People

Tatyana Makeyeva/Reuters
A 90-year-old Belgian woman has become the first person known to have contracted two variants of COVID-19, likely from different people. The worrying discovery was announced by Belgian scientists who said the woman had both the Alpha and Beta variants when she died in March 2021. “This is one of the first documented cases of co-infection with two variants of concern of SARS-CoV-2,” molecular biologist Anne Vankeerberghen, author of the study released by the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), wrote in a statement. The patient was not vaccinated.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Woman Dies With Two COVID-19 Variants After Contracting Virus From Different People

Tatyana Makeyeva/Reuters
A 90-year-old Belgian woman has become the first person known to have contracted two variants of COVID-19, likely from different people. The worrying discovery was announced by Belgian scientists who said the woman had both the Alpha and Beta variants when she died in March 2021. “This is one of the first documented cases of co-infection with two variants of concern of SARS-CoV-2,” molecular biologist Anne Vankeerberghen, author of the study released by the European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID), wrote in a statement. The patient was not vaccinated.

Bottom line: high risk group & not vaccinated. 

10 hours ago, Tracker said:

Tatyana Makeyeva/Reuters

So, March 2021 means she wasn't fully vaccinated. It's only relevant if someone is completely unvaccinated. I didn't get my first vaccine dose until April 1st & the second mid June. I'm aware of variants but I'm not going to stress about a 4 month old story in a changing world that may not be relevant to people fully vaccinated.

Edited by SpeedFlex27