Covid-19

JCon

Most gas stations have paper towel dispensers at the pumps (at least the Shell stations I use, anyway). Even before all this pandemic crap, I'd use a generous amount when handling the pumps, be it the grade select button or the nozzle. Now I make sure to use hand sanitizer when I'm done.

Edited by blue_gold_84

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-covid19-world-aug-10-1.5681643

The latest:

• Global total passes 20 million confirmed cases of coronavirus.
  • Russia declares vaccine ready for use despite international skepticism. 
  • New Zealand reports new cases of coronavirus, ending 102 days of no community transmission. 

Russia can certainly be trusted it has a viable, safe vaccine. It's never misled the world before.

What you need to know
Russia says it has approved the world's first coronavirus vaccine, despite fears that the country may have cut essential corners in its development. 
The United States is by far the worst affected country with more than 5 million Covid-19 cases and 160,000 deaths.
There's been a 90% increase in the number of coronavirus cases among US children over the past four weeks, according to a new report.
College football teams are debating postponing their seasons altogether over the virus.
👁‍🗨 Florida’s Ron DeSantis is offering Florida as a site to host college football. (Not joking)
Speaking of Florida:

Florida again is reporting a record number of coronavirus-related deaths.

The state reported 276 additional deaths, breaking the previous record of 257 deaths on July 31, according to the Florida Department of Health. 

The state reported at least 5,831 new coronavirus cases, bringing the state total to 542,792. The statewide resident death toll is now at least 8,553. 

https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-11-20-intl/h_5b23788ccd75a013cfbdd7f49f21037b

30 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

What you need to know
Russia says it has approved the world's first coronavirus vaccine, despite fears that the country may have cut essential corners in its development. 
The United States is by far the worst affected country with more than 5 million Covid-19 cases and 160,000 deaths.
There's been a 90% increase in the number of coronavirus cases among US children over the past four weeks, according to a new report.
College football teams are debating postponing their seasons altogether over the virus.
👁‍🗨 Florida’s Ron DeSantis is offering Florida as a site to host college football. (Not joking)
Speaking of Florida:

Florida again is reporting a record number of coronavirus-related deaths.

The state reported 276 additional deaths, breaking the previous record of 257 deaths on July 31, according to the Florida Department of Health. 

The state reported at least 5,831 new coronavirus cases, bringing the state total to 542,792. The statewide resident death toll is now at least 8,553. 

https://www.cnn.com/webview/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-11-20-intl/h_5b23788ccd75a013cfbdd7f49f21037b

If there is a stupid politician there is Trump. If there is an evil politician it is DeSantis. 

I'll point out that two of the most successful re-starts have taken place in Florida. MLS and NBA have created great bubbles. But, that works because of the orgs and because of the player's commitments. The venues have been great. 

Not sure how you would have college football in a bubble? Or has the NCAA stopped pretending they actually care about the player's academically? 

7 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Just crunching numbers:

1500 tests is about 0.1% of Manitoba's population

If they were to do this for an entire year (0.1 x 365), they would have tested more than a third of the population (36.5%)

also, apparently capacity is 2800/day right now. Would like to see that number closer to maxed out if possible...

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

also, apparently capacity is 2800/day right now. Would like to see that number closer to maxed out if possible...

Pallister just said that they don't want asymptomatic people getting tested. Only those with symptoms. 

Also, they've closed so many testing sites that the lines are really long in places like Brandon.

-------------------------

10 of the new cases today were in Winnipeg.  

34 minutes ago, Noeller said:

At risk of sounding like Donald Trump, if they did test close to or at daily capacity then there is the chance of more positives being identified. That might freak some people out.

13 minutes ago, Stretch said:

At risk of sounding like Donald Trump, if they did test close to or at daily capacity then there is the chance of more positives being identified. That might freak some people out.

who gives a **** if people are freaked out? We need to identify as many cases as possible every single day. Alberta's been doing asymptomatic testing for months now. If it was financially feasible, every single person should get a COVID test every single day.....as the NHL is doing with their bubble. That protocol should be mandatory around the world. Of course, that's extremely expensive......but I'm just saying, in an ideal world.............

57 minutes ago, JCon said:

Pallister just said that they don't want asymptomatic people getting tested. Only those with symptoms. 

Also, they've closed so many testing sites that the lines are really long in places like Brandon.

-------------------------

10 of the new cases today were in Winnipeg.  

I find that odd.  I know someone that went for a test, because they unknowingly encountered someone who had been in an area with known cases.  This person has no symptoms.

I just think Pallister saying that will discourage people from acting responsibly. 

Just now, Mark H. said:

I find that odd.  I know someone that went for a test, because they unknowingly encountered someone who had been in an area with known cases.  This person has no symptoms.

I just think Pallister saying that will discourage people from acting responsibly. 

absolutely completely agree. I'd dare say it's wildly dangerous to suggest that asymptomatic people shouldn't get tested.

23 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Can't afford billboards if you're spending money on tests, you know.