The Winnipeg Thread

FrostyWinnipeg

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Oof.

I don't know if it's the timing or the accumulation of damage but I have never seen the city's curbs in such bad shape. Our neighbourhood curbs have been destroyed by the snow-removal vehicles. My front lawn is consistently torn up. So, far, only one snow bank has properly melted to see underneath and it's torn up. 

I hope the city is saving a ton of money on snow clearing. 

9 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't know if it's the timing or the accumulation of damage but I have never seen the city's curbs in such bad shape. Our neighbourhood curbs have been destroyed by the snow-removal vehicles. My front lawn is consistently torn up. So, far, only one snow bank has properly melted to see underneath and it's torn up. 

I hope the city is saving a ton of money on snow clearing

Lol, apparently like 30 million OVER budget. And alot more coming!!!

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

Just now, JCon said:

I meant on outsourcing it. 

I don't blame them for going over budget on a year like this. 

I dont imagine theyre getting much of a deal. Governments arnt known for taking their time when sending out tenders to get the best price. Usually its a case of who you know and what you get if you know what i mean.

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Square curbs?

Asphalt on top of cement?

No, the rounded ones in newer neighbourhoods with front driveways. 

My driveway is still cement. I have not had to resurface it yet. However, the scraping is doing a ton of damage along with the ground shifting. Combo of ground shifting, creating edges that get damaged by the shovels. I don't blame them for that. They can't see where the driveway shifts. 

The grass that gets torn up is different story. They push two snow piles up onto my yard each year and they scrape down under the grass. I would be smart to just replace the first ten feet of my yard with gravel or stones. 

54 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Oof.

I'm in favour of more bike lanes and infrastructure, but this whole project was done very poorly to begin with.  I can't even tell where the lanes are, where the turning lanes are, what half their new signage means when driving down the streets where they did this.

Having this happen on top of that, feels like this is a big waste of money that has made the roads in that neighbourhood worse.

39 minutes ago, JCon said:

My driveway is still cement. I have not had to resurface it yet. However, the scraping is doing a ton of damage along with the ground shifting. Combo of ground shifting, creating edges that get damaged by the shovels. I don't blame them for that. They can't see where the driveway shifts. 

The grass that gets torn up is different story. They push two snow piles up onto my yard each year and they scrape down under the grass. I would be smart to just replace the first ten feet of my yard with gravel or stones. 

50 year old curbs here so they were designed properly. I swear curbs have not been properly designed since the 70s.

Newer curbs seem to have more slope with a sharp edge on top which get whittled away by the snow graters and of course square curbs are great if you live in a place where they have no snow.

Im surprised the grass was not missing from the yard this year as our street was asphalted in the summer so not much curb left but grater guy was nice and stayed a foot away from the curb :D

55 minutes ago, JCon said:

Dont bother. Im on a corner and on the lengthwise side of my yard thats adjacent to the sidewalk, i have 4 feet of granite that runs under my fence line. Well after the nuggets that run the sidewalk snowblowers did their damage, i now have probably 2 afternoons worth of picking up hundreds upon hundreds of granite stones that have been re-deposited onto the boulevard(that i also have to cut. Thanks city).

Edited by Bubba Zanetti

1 minute ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Dont bother. Im on a corner and on the lengthwise side of my yard thats adjacent to the sidewalk, i have 4 feet of granite that runs under my fence line. Well after the nuggets that run the sidewalk snowblowers did their damage, i know have probably 2 afternoons worth of picking up hundreds upon hundreds of granite stones that have been re-deposited onto the boulevard.

I'll just do the whole front yard! I'm sure my neighbours would love it. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

The private contractors are so hit and miss at clearing snow.  I had one dude flipping out at the other guys this winter because they were destroying everything and causing a huge mess.    I've definitely seen a drop off in care/quality since they have gone private. 

In my area, they were horrible the last couple of years, but this year was a definite improvement, other than some of the tree branches that they took out in some peoples' front yards.

2 minutes ago, Sard said:

In my area, they were horrible the last couple of years, but this year was a definite improvement, other than some of the tree branches that they took out in some peoples' front yards.

Mine and the neighbouring streets are littered with broken branches. Never seen it so bad. A lot of damage was done this winter.  

However, I think that there are two contributing factors to this. The first, is that it was really dry last year and I found my trees be rather "brittle". I assume it's the same around my hood. 

But, second, and most importantly, the city has cut back on pruning the trees. My city owned tree is looking really sad and overgrown. I was advised to leave it by the city and they would come around. Three years on and I will be pruning my tree this spring because they have never come.

The branches hang really low over the street for mine and all my neighbour trees. Not so much now that the snow clearing broke them off. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

The private contractors are so hit and miss at clearing snow.  I had one dude flipping out at the other guys this winter because they were destroying everything and causing a huge mess.    I've definitely seen a drop off in care/quality since they have gone private. 

Even the best operators can lose their touch after 8, 10, 16 hours at the controls.  It's mentally exhausting to be so precise for hours.

I'm also against privatization.

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Even the best operators can lose their touch after 8, 10, 16 hours at the controls.  It's mentally exhausting to be so precise for hours.

I think the issues was the drivers having no idea on what they were doing.  They piled a huge amount of snow in the middle of a street (bus route) and left it causing a back up in traffic.   Dude got out and reamed them out.    

I think the issues are they hire new drivers for little money who do a crappy job. 

4 hours ago, Wideleft said:

My grandpa did snow clearing for the city way back. During a snowstorm he would log an insane amount of hours. Work super long shifts (I think even up to 20 hours), go home for a 2-4 hour sleep and get back out. Of course he'd get paid pretty good overtime for working so many hours. I remember seeing a cheque he kept from a big snowstorm (I'm guessing 70s). I have two degrees, he didn't finish elementary school. His cheque was bigger than what I was making about 10 years ago when I saw his cheque and that's not even taking inflation into account.

8 hours ago, Bubba Zanetti said:

Dont bother. Im on a corner and on the lengthwise side of my yard thats adjacent to the sidewalk, i have 4 feet of granite that runs under my fence line. Well after the nuggets that run the sidewalk snowblowers did their damage, i now have probably 2 afternoons worth of picking up hundreds upon hundreds of granite stones that have been re-deposited onto the boulevard(that i also have to cut. Thanks city).

Is your side yard adjacent to Concordia Ave East? If not you aren’t the only one with this situation. 

There are many areas in my neighbourhood that the pliéing is what I would call sidewalk adjacent…

13 hours ago, bustamente said:

Why has the former CAO of Winnipeg not been arrested on bribery charges, hey you got caught so just pay it back and on your way, just imagine how many more crooked schemes he got away with

Former Winnipeg CAO must pay $327K received as bribe to city as damages, judge rules

17 hours ago, bustamente said:

Why has the former CAO of Winnipeg not been arrested on bribery charges, hey you got caught so just pay it back and on your way, just imagine how many more crooked schemes he got away with

Because our top-notch police force wasn't capable enough to gather sufficient evidence for a criminal charge.  The city got him on a civil lawsuit.

21 hours ago, Wideleft said:

Because our top-notch police force wasn't capable enough to gather sufficient evidence for a criminal charge.  The city got him on a civil lawsuit.

^ this! People illegally parked in front of ledge for weeks and there was insufficient evidence to tow them.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

this kind of makes me sad, we're gonna run out of bowling alleys, there's going to be like 2 5-pin alleys left (I forgot if there's another one left besides Billy Mosienko and Coronation) and 2  ten pins left, plus the lane at the rec room and the lasertopia, I really hate how St.Vital Bowl has been gone for over a decade, and Academy closed not too long ago

https://winnipeg-can.newsmemory.com/?MACHINEID=0f6b2f9919f2a00f02959365236c9299&TOKEN=t9vWitRQOAyENBlka4c4UCQ0Thnk56KsVypl93qO&udb_winnipeg_EXTID=fp-p421796&TAUID=344862&username=fp-p421796&publink=015053f6f_1348429&vanity&fbclid=IwAR2pevY0-AmmB3hsPyaDtwLtdPESYTAjjeaLsx7_EolOozzrBFAmsBjlRTQ#.YmFOSccltPY.facebook

Edited by iHeart

33 minutes ago, iHeart said:

this kind of makes me sad, we're gonna run out of bowling alleys, there's going to be like 2 5-pin alleys left (I forgot if there's another one left besides Billy Mosienko and Coronation) and 2  ten pins left, plus the lane at the rec room and the lasertopia, I really hate how St.Vital Bowl has been gone for over a decade, and Academy closed not too long ago

https://winnipeg-can.newsmemory.com/?MACHINEID=0f6b2f9919f2a00f02959365236c9299&TOKEN=t9vWitRQOAyENBlka4c4UCQ0Thnk56KsVypl93qO&udb_winnipeg_EXTID=fp-p421796&TAUID=344862&username=fp-p421796&publink=015053f6f_1348429&vanity&fbclid=IwAR2pevY0-AmmB3hsPyaDtwLtdPESYTAjjeaLsx7_EolOozzrBFAmsBjlRTQ#.YmFOSccltPY.facebook

Even when Roxy closed, there's still a good number 5-pin places in the city (9 for sure, 10 if Alpine Lanes ever re-opens).  Academy didn't close entirely, they changed names from Academy Uptown Lanes to Uptown Alley and are now located on St. Matthews.