2019-20 CFL Offseason

JCon

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I don't like Madani either but it doesn't mean he's wrong. Only Ambrosie Fan Boyz can say what a GREAT JOB he's doing. You can thank Relleon for getting me going. Since he poked the bear... Not many players are going to come back for a third of their salary & bein a bubble for however many days it takes to fin ish the season. Ambrosie & the BOG knows that. That's why they proposed this. So, if the Players say no Ambrosie can turn around & say, "See, it wasn't the owners who cancelled. Blame the Players." I think that's been the plan all along. And the Ambrosie Fan Boyz will be drinking the koolaid all day long. 

A third of your salary is one thing, but not even guarantee that you can’t get cut before you even collect that. That has to be a concern for many players.

1 minute ago, DR. CFL said:

A third of your salary is one thing, but not even guarantee that you can’t get cut before you even collect that. That has to be a concern for many players.

And we know someone will get seriously injured. For what?? A four figure salary south of $20,000 Canadian. Total BS. No way Ambrosie is telling the truth about playing this season. I'll believe the players version of things over anything Ambrosie says. 

The quarantine sounds over the top... but I mean football players are literally doing nothing right now and no one is really hiring during the pandemic

So I'm pretty sure I'd still take the chance to earn $$ and maybe secure a spot for next year if some vet decides they don't want to show up

Its football - getting paid to play a game is still better than any 9-5 gig

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

The quarantine sounds over the top... but I mean football players are literally doing nothing right now and no one is really hiring during the pandemic

So I'm pretty sure I'd still take the chance to earn $$ and maybe secure a spot for next year if some vet decides they don't want to show up

Its football - getting paid to play a game is still better than any 9-5 gig

Not always. You wouldn't put your body on the line or be away from your young family for such little money. Most of these guys have jobs in the US. They can't afford to sit around doing nothing for 6 months of the year.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

13 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not always. You wouldn't put your body on the line or be away from your young family for such little money. Most of these guys have jobs in the US. They can't afford to sit around doing nothing for 6 months of the year.

I agree.....1/3 of your salary...minus 26% exchange rate.....no guarantee you don’t get cut before the 6 game season is completed. No guarantee you don’t catch the virus. It seems some people seem to consider players simply as a commodity easily replaced and disposable. Perhaps people need to place themselves in the situation, given the circumstances and maybe their perspective might change.

5 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

I agree.....1/3 of your salary...minus 26% exchange rate.....no guarantee you don’t get cut before the 6 game season is completed. No guarantee you don’t catch the virus. It seems some people seem to consider players simply as a commodity easily replaced and disposable. Perhaps people need to place themselves in the situation, given the circumstances and maybe their perspective might change.

You know, maybe if a single player still living at home having just graduated & has no income coming in & would play for food & a roof over his head even in pandemic. But if a player is married at 26 or 27 with a couple of young kids they have financial comittments like all of us do. They all have jobs at that age as well as responsibilities. Why would they leave their jobs for a pay cut? If I was one of those guys, I'd never play. Not for the money the CFL has offered. 

20 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You're either making your own breaks or you're settling for an average/below average life...  I know which choice I'd make - always.

I don't think $3000 USD a month is a 'pay cut' for most 'almost pro' football players...   a chance to make a living playing football is ALWAYS better than sitting at home

Maybe some have good jobs - but judging by the jobless stats for USA - there's a TON of talented players that don't.

CFLPA as always knows it doesn't have a leg to stand on and as always the CFL knows this too.  This is just CFLPA making noise before they sign.

I mean Addison and Acklin must be pumped that Banks just pulled the plug on his season...  his departure adds 2-3 targets a game for each of them

Open slot behind Williams as KR/PR

Players would be crazy not to jump at a shortened season - what a small sacrifice to potentially end up with a $150-200k UFA payout in 2021

The only road block I see is this ridiculous season long quarantine - just get everyone to sign a waiver that they won't go to a hutterite colony...

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

You're either making your own breaks or you're settling for an average/below average life...  I know which choice I'd make - always.

I don't think $3000 USD a month is a 'pay cut' for most 'almost pro' football players...   a chance to make a living playing football is ALWAYS better than sitting at home

Maybe some have good jobs - but judging by the jobless stats for USA - there's a TON of talented players that don't.

CFLPA as always knows it doesn't have a leg to stand on and as always the CFL knows this too.  This is just CFLPA making noise before they sign.

Well I guess time will tell....4 days and counting. There is no indication the CFL has revised their proposal.

21 hours ago, DR. CFL said:

minus 26% exchange rate

Useless argument and players are ******* for using it too. It's the canadian football league, of course you are getting paid in Canadian dollars to play in Canada. You want to get paid in American dollars the number on the contract will be smaller to start with. 

4 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Useless argument and players are ******* for using it too. It's the canadian football league, of course you are getting paid in Canadian dollars to play in Canada. You want to get paid in American dollars the number on the contract will be smaller to start with. 

I’m sure the players understand the RISK of a volatile Canadian dollar....payout argument doesn’t hold for the NBA, NHL, and MLB teams in Canada. Perhaps easier to swallow during an 18 game schedule but 6 games with the possibility of getting cut at anytime. There is talk the NEW CBA will eliminate their report and pass bonuses. 

57 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

I’m sure the players understand the RISK of a volatile Canadian dollar....payout argument doesn’t hold for the NBA, NHL, and MLB teams in Canada. Perhaps easier to swallow during an 18 game schedule but 6 games with the possibility of getting cut at anytime. There is talk the NEW CBA will eliminate their report and pass bonuses. 

Wait... American players don't regularly use forward foreign exchange contracts to hedge and minimize their risk to match their risk appetite? Reckless... simply reckless....

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Still say the delay is CFL trying to push for an ‘eastern hub’ that is not Winnipeg...

Winnipeg and sask were obvious choices from day one 

Well with no CBA agreed upon, no federal funding and who knows where things might be at with health, safety and testing requirements I’m not sure the Hub location is very contentious. No doubt Winnipeg is a logical choice.

1 hour ago, DR. CFL said:

Well with no CBA agreed upon, no federal funding and who knows where things might be at with health, safety and testing requirements I’m not sure the Hub location is very contentious. No doubt Winnipeg is a logical choice.

We got your point that the CFL is shitty and doomed the first fifteen times you posted it...

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

We got your point that the CFL is shitty and doomed the first fifteen times you posted it...

A) I never said it was shitty.  Never said it was doomed.  If you think it is on track to play in 2020 I would be happy to listen to your case. I don’t want to see them make a hurried attempt to something that might have to be shutdown in short order. I would rather see them regroup, come to a well thought out agreement between the league and the PA so things could move forward into a 2021 season.

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The question no one wants to address. What if the pandemic is still going strong in 2021 & there's no vaccine? Pro sports along with vast sectors of our economy will be devastated. 

Shout-out to all the other savers that paid off their house and are fiscally responsible millennials!...

In all seriousness though that would be catastrophic.

13 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The question no one wants to address. What if the pandemic is still going strong in 2021 & there's no vaccine? Pro sports along with vast sectors of our economy will be devastated. 

We will end up just treating covid like another flu - whether it is or not... said this from the start.  Sports venues will just reduce capacity and jack ticket prices even more... maybe even make playoffs pay per view or something lke that...

There's no question, based on how people are acting now, COVID will continue to rage well into 2021. I'm not one that believes "livelihoods are as important as lives", but I think there's enough Con governments out there who will bend over backwards to make sure the economy doesn't completely grind to a halt. 

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Based on what I've heard recently, I'm reasonably confident there will be vaccines available at some point in 2021. Hopefully in the early part of the year.

But another problem remains. I've heard that there are a lot of people in the U.S. and Canada already stating they are not going to take any vaccine, regardless. Possibly more than 20% of the population. If this is the case, the the virus will always be around to some degree, and it will be very difficult to predict how much risk/danger that poses to large gatherings such as sporting events.