WSF: Bombers @ Stamps

White Out

Just what do these stats mean?
Well, it certainly means they can out pass us if we don’t make any adjustments. We’ve seen that already. Total yards are a lot closer, but for us, we have to grind it out. Calgary, with a flick of the wrist, can explode with their talent. We’ve seen that too.
I like our forced fumble stat, and we’re going to need help on STs too.
It’s there for the taking...let’s take it.

CAEB643-B-1-DB1-4-B33-8582-3-F30-A1-B3-C

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Players heads were inflated to the size of hot air balloons & Ritchie did nothing about it. I don't think that will happen with Steinhauer. 

I dont think that tigernaughts team is half as good as our 01 squad was. And I think their offence can be schemed for. Really takes a disciplined D to beat their offense. More blockers means less offensive threats and we have the horses to win a battle in the trenches. 

I dont think hamilton will be any more over confident then they have been at any point this season, nor will they be less prepared. But I think the gap between the last team in the play offs, moes/als and the top team, cats, is very small. The gap between teams in 01 was huge. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

To beat the stamps we need to beat their protection scheme. We also need to vary looks and dont let blm get comfy. I think this game is gonna rely on how good the defensive play call is. 

If the play call can not be executed properly, it's not worth the paper it was not written on.

13 minutes ago, Tracker said:

We're doomed.

Normally I might think so too, but we started doing what we need to against blm in the last game eventually. Rolling coverage, showing and dropping, delay blitz, etc.  And historically Hall has been good at making in game adjustments. So we have hope. And worst case scenario it costs us the game again, I think the franchise will finally be ready to make the CO moves fans have been clamoring for, for years. 

What we need to do defensively to beat calgary is more inline with halls MO. What we will need to do to beat ssk is more against the grain and more of a worry imo. But our personnel match up better against them as well. 

Edited by wbbfan

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yes, but every play is supposed to end with a sack.....that doesn't always happen.

No it isnt. And especially not in our play design. The play design and positional execution under a hall D puts little emphasis on pressure actually. You hope the front 4 get there as the last solution. This year with more inclusion from mos we see more pressure packages but despite stats, its not the first goal of the defense we run. The primary goal is to prevent scores. The primary means of forcing punts is by getting incomplete passes on 2nd down. We stop the run play and take it out of the equation as much as possible, the dbs stay in their back peddle as long as possible, hense the big cushion, that way they can break on the ball and break up passes, force turn overs and make tackles with out giving up big plays.

If any thing, an ideal play design in our defense ends in a pick. But play design and execution do not detail a play ending in a sack/pick. Thats not what execution is dependent on. 

Execution is being in the position youre supposed to be, when youre supposed to be there and making the right decision who to pick up / when to switch off in match zone, hook-curl-flat zones etc. 

4 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

No it isnt. And especially not in our play design. The play design and positional execution under a hall D puts little emphasis on pressure actually. You hope the front 4 get there as the last solution. This year with more inclusion from mos we see more pressure packages but despite stats, its not the first goal of the defense we run. The primary goal is to prevent scores. The primary means of forcing punts is by getting incomplete passes on 2nd down. We stop the run play and take it out of the equation as much as possible, the dbs stay in their back peddle as long as possible, hense the big cushion, that way they can break on the ball and break up passes, force turn overs and make tackles with out giving up big plays.

If any thing, an ideal play design in our defense ends in a pick. But play design and execution do not detail a play ending in a sack/pick. Thats not what execution is dependent on. 

Execution is being in the position youre supposed to be, when youre supposed to be there and making the right decision who to pick up / when to switch off in match zone, hook-curl-flat zones etc. 

And yet we give up so many big plays. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

giphy.gif

Calgary is a virtual grave yard for the Bombers.  However the 3 times we've played them , we've kept the games close.  Collaros gives us a chance.   He's not going to light it up for 400 yds, but he is very good at spreading the ball around and it forces the Stamps to actually respect our passing game.  

Our defense needs to get pressure on BLM and our secondary needs to start playing aggressively.    Stop giving up the wide open flat, and make their receivers work for the ball. 

10 minutes ago, captaincanuck12 said:

Our defense needs to get pressure on BLM and our secondary needs to start playing aggressively.    Stop giving up the wide open flat, and make their receivers work for the ball

If we do what you suggest, we won’t have to cover them completely, they’ll be too surprised to be of any value.. 🙂

Anyone catch any of the South Africa/England rugby game?  England was supposed to destroy SA and instead SA came out and just punched England in the mouth, continuously, for the entire game, and England didn't know what to do.  I think this Bomber team can do that.  Three games.  Just go out there and punch the other guys in the mouth.  It's amazing what you can achieve if it all comes down to one game to get by an opponent, unlike hockey where you can have a bad game or two, and still recover.

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Anyone catch any of the South Africa/England rugby game?  England was supposed to destroy SA and instead SA came out and just punched England in the mouth, continuously, for the entire game, and England didn't know what to do.  I think this Bomber team can do that.  Three games.  Just go out there and punch the other guys in the mouth.  It's amazing what you can achieve if it all comes down to one game to get by an opponent, unlike hockey where you can have a bad game or two, and still recover.

I used those exact words this morning. 

Bombers need to come out and punch Calgary right in the mouth. Let em know they're in a fight and keep swinging. 

I truly believe that at their best this Bomber team can win all 3 phases against any team in the league, so let's not give anything away with poor effort or passive play calling. You want to win you gotta make it happen. No one is going to let you win. Give them no choice in the matter. 

3 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I used those exact words this morning. 

Bombers need to come out and punch Calgary right in the mouth. Let em know they're in a fight and keep swinging. 

I truly believe that at their best this Bomber team can win all 3 phases against any team in the league, so let's not give anything away with poor effort or passive play calling. You want to win you gotta make it happen. No one is going to let you win. Give them no choice in the matter. 

yes with Calgary it really comes down to which team makes the fewer mistakes.  I still think last year we were one completed Streveler to Harris pass away from going to the Grey Cup, in what would have been a pretty weak opponent to overcome.  This year we're probably playing Hamilton in the Cup, and that's going to be a toughie.  For anyone in the West.