3 stars HH stamp the refs

wbbfan

Impressive thing about collaros last night was his ball placement and catchability. Of 6 incompletions 1 was a pick on him but was a product of lack of experience in the system. 2 throw aways and 2 passes were wrs flubbed. Darvin Adams on the challenge shouldve turned up field sooner on the scramble if he did he probably scores on that play. The other demski half dropped as he was hit from behind. 

Combine that with the fact we saw soo few second down check downs for half the distance needed or less. And he hit guys in stride a lot. Letting them keep their momentum and not have to come back to the ball a lot. The most accurate passing we've seen in a very long time all in all. 

Our pass rush really misses having Nevis and Richardson in as starters. 

Kongbo had a great game too if few stats. Couple pressures couple qb hits a pass knock down and got in on a bunch of gang tackles. The 30 front look with a de at nose was pretty dismal for the ends to play through too. 

4 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Wrong. MOS said after the game the refs told him the commander centre was looking at the hit. Would have been a wasted challenge. 

No it wouldn't have been. You can challenge it was a spear or illegal high hit to qb, they reviewed hook slide. Plus it's never a mistake to use the challenge to support and defend your qb and have the team sit and watch the replay again. 

Edited by wbbfan

Spent many plays last night watching our defensive secondary in passing situations. It was absolutely shocking the number of Calgary receivers WIDE open down the field. And that defensive breakdown that gifted them a TD?? Just can't be happening in game 18. I'm hoping for some crummy weather in 2 weeks to limit the throwing game.

And now for my 3 stars...

1. Collaros. The difference with a veteran qb was obvious. As a few have said, that TD to Adams isn't thrown by Nichols or Streveler. And on a side note Adams gets a gold star for his effort on that play.

2. Grant. Fantastic returns that really energized the team and the crowd. 

3. Medlock. I have loved watching him play for years, and we are blessed that he's with us. Pretty cool to watch a HOF running back and kicker play.

HH  Demski. One of his better games for sure.

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

Spent many plays last night watching our defensive secondary in passing situations. It was absolutely shocking the number of Calgary receivers WIDE open down the field. And that defensive breakdown that gifted them a TD?? Just can't be happening in game 18. I'm hoping for some crummy weather in 2 weeks to limit the throwing game.

Alot of mix zone match zone and generally some one is in covered due to our blitz and drop schemes 

Just now, wbbfan said:

Alot of mix zone match zone and generally some one is in covered due to our blitz and drop schemes 

We really didn't blitz much until the second half and even then, still a lot of 3 or 4 man rushes. Bo went largely untouched again and put up 350+ yards again against Richie Hall's D. 

Suitor was commenting on how Richie Hall's D works by relying on the offense to make a mistake. If it doesn't, it's not uncommon to march the field.

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Impressive thing about collaros last night was his ball placement and catchability. Of 6 incompletions 1 was a pick on him but was a product of lack of experience in the system. 2 throw aways and 2 passes were wrs flubbed. Darvin Adams on the challenge shouldve turned up field sooner on the scramble if he did he probably scores on that play. The other demski half dropped as he was hit from behind. 

Combine that with the fact we saw soo few second down check downs for half the distance needed or less. And he hit guys in stride a lot. Letting them keep their momentum and not have to come back to the ball a lot. The most accurate passing we've seen in a very long time all in all. 

Considering he was rusty I was impressed.   I didn't see receivers having to dive or go to the ground for routine passes (like with Nichols).   One pass in particular he lobbed a slow short pass directly into the hands of Harris without Andrew having to slow down at all.    

The escapability of the pocket also was light years better then Nichols.   

Just now, J5V said:

We really didn't blitz much until the second half and even then, still a lot of 3 or 4 man rushes. Bo went largely untouched again and put up 350+ yards again against Richie Hall's D. 

Suitor was commenting on how Richie Hall's D works by relying on the offense to make a mistake. If it doesn't, it's not uncommon to march the field.

We mixed it early to no success then switched to the 30 front with Jake Thomas at nose which also had no success but we were rushing a lb/db a good bit. 

The later game d when we got Richardson back involved with heavy mix of blitzing as well as showing blitz and dropping brought lots of success. We even dropped both ends a few times which really messed up blm. 

That is the identity of halls d but mos has a considerable hand in our defense now too. 

Thomas is a tremendous rotational ni DT. But starting him takes a lot away from our lines pressure. With Nevis and Richardson inside each end has man to man blocking every snap. 

Calgary has answered our pressure by going 6 ol with an extra imp on the ol and using metre as an every down black who has great blocking. Our front 4 with Thomas plus 1 lber maybe another rusher isn't going to get pressure on Calgary in that set. 

Also willy has been heavily torn between pass rushing and playing pass lanes for knock downs. If any 30 front was gonna work against Calgary's 6+1 blocking it's Nevis at nose Richardson and Thomas at end then playing willy in a jack lber rushing from stand up and hand down from lber end inside etc and dropping back under coverage. 

That way we get a big push on the ol and can push the center back into the pocket. The de at nose stuff left blm with a clean pocket to easily step up into.

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Considering he was rusty I was impressed.   I didn't see receivers having to dive or go to the ground for routine passes (like with Nichols).   One pass in particular he lobbed a slow short pass directly into the hands of Harris without Andrew having to slow down at all.    

The escapability of the pocket also was light years better then Nichols.   

100% that screen pass kept him north south and is the difference between a first down and punting. 

Yeah it really shed light on how immobile Nichols has been since his injury last year in TC. I said last week Nichols was moving like an old Danny mac in the pocket and collaros really hammered that home. 

57 minutes ago, J5V said:

We have been painfully aware of this for years now. Just because you have a plan, it doesn't mean its a good one.

23 hours ago, Noeller said:

I feel like Collaros and Nichols are similar QBs so ZC can run MN playbook. In theory, things could look a lot similar to earlier in the year with Collaros getting the bulk and Strev running the short yardage and special packages.... 

This would be by far the best way to approach the playoffs, but whether they do it or not....I dunno.  It  depends on the state of Streveler's health with 2 more weeks of recovery and O'Shea's acceptance that having both contribute gives them their best chance of advancing.  I don't believe the odds are in their favour of  winning a playoff game in Calgary without both QB's participating heavily, if they're lucky enough to face the Riders their chances of success are much better with either QB leading the way as long as they can dominate the trenches.

11 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Our pass rush really misses having Nevis and Richardson in as starters. 

Kongbo had a great game too if few stats. Couple pressures couple qb hits a pass knock down and got in on a bunch of gang tackles. The 30 front look with a de at nose was pretty dismal for the ends to play through too. 

I agree if we have to rotate i would prefer Kongbo over Thomas..i love Thomas but he is playing too much and its a huge dropoff from Richardson and Nevis..

The point is that if your D can't get pressure on the opposing QB he is going to pick you apart. The better the QB the worse it will be. That is why the best teams in the trenches win. Not necessarily because they have a better Qb (see Cody Fajardo) but because he has the time to exploit your D. Fajardo has time. Yes the Rider Oline holds, all Olines hold, including ours. Sometimes it isn't enough though. You also need schemes to give your Qb the time he needs. Roll him out, screen plays, jet sweeps, misdirection, receivers in motion, timing throws, etc. When it comes to the Bombers, our Qbs never seem to have enough time. I blame that on poor coaching and lack of mobility. One of the reasons Collaros was successful was because he didn't just sit in the pocket and wait for it to collapse a la Nichols. He was mobile enough to avoid Calgary's rush long enough to find the open receiver (see Adams deep in the corner of the end zone). Its not that we don't try to do whats necessary, its that we don't execute well enough and our schemes aren't good enough -- too obvious and easy to counter. Our D doesn't get enough pressure on the opposing Qbs. Our Qbs rarely get the time they need to be successful. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

The point is that if your D can't get pressure on the opposing QB he is going to pick you apart. The better the QB the worse it will be. That is why the best teams in the trenches win. Not necessarily because they have a better Qb (see Cody Fajardo) but because he has the time to exploit your D. Fajardo has time. Yes the Rider Oline holds, all Olines hold, including ours. Sometimes it isn't enough though. You also need schemes to give your Qb the time he needs. Roll him out, screen plays, jet sweeps, misdirection, receivers in motion, timing throws, etc. When it comes to the Bombers, our Qbs never seem to have enough time. I blame that on poor coaching and lack of mobility. One of the reasons Collaros was successful was because he didn't just sit in the pocket and wait for it to collapse a la Nichols. He was mobile enough to avoid Calgary's rush long enough to find the open receiver (see Adams deep in the corner of the end zone). Its not that we don't try to do whats necessary, its that we don't execute well enough and our schemes aren't good enough -- too obvious and easy to counter. Our D doesn't get enough pressure on the opposing Qbs. Our Qbs rarely get the time they need to be successful. 

The QBs not having time is not on the OL.  On Friday, they showed what they can do with an effective pocket passer. Back in day, there were games where Nichols was the untouched.

As for the DL, that is due to the change at safety, resulting in Richardson and Nevis not being on the field together.  

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

The QBs not having time is not on the OL.  On Friday, they showed what they can do with an effective pocket passer. Back in day, there were games where Nichols was the untouched.

As for the DL, that is due to the change at safety, resulting in Richardson and Nevis not being on the field together.  

Yes we know...but its too bad we can't get a Cdn that can play safety..i guess Exume is just not ready and no one else like Jones or Hallet can do the job?

2 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Roh.  Roh is our best pass rusher.  We miss him dearly.  We get Nevis and Richardson out together lots, they have lots of different sets with Hecht or D Jones in the secondary and all import DL.

38 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Roh.  Roh is our best pass rusher.  We miss him dearly.  We get Nevis and Richardson out together lots, they have lots of different sets with Hecht or D Jones in the secondary and all import DL.

So is Roh actually injured or has he played his last game for Wpg.?