Around The NHL 2018/2019

It's a hell of a contract, no worries about the young core being moved out because of this, Trouba is as good as gone and Matty P, and Myers will be replaced by younger cheaper options, depending on the contract for Laine and Conner and Morrissey, Little might be on the move in couple of years, Time to win is now 

5 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Isn't their a chance that the cap will go up quite a bit in a few years also? 

With a lock out looming, who knows.  It could also go down (with a wage roll-back) as part of a lock-out "re-set".  But assuming they maintain the 50-50 revenue split, there is nothing to suggest revenue will go down.  If anything, with more expansion coming, new TV deals eventually etc, revenue should always trend up.

6 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Isn't their a chance that the cap will go up quite a bit in a few years also? 

I'm not sure about it going up. Likely the NHL opts out next year (Sept 1), which means the deal is up in 2020. I think they want to push the cap down by adjusting the ratio. 

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I'm not sure about it going up. Likely the NHL opts out next year (Sept 1), which means the deal is up in 2020. I think they want to push the cap down by adjusting the ratio. 

I cant see the NHL winning a ratio fight.  Its 50-50 and fighting to lower it wont win any PR battles.  The PA will want it higher so the NHL maintaining the fair and equitable split makes the most sense to me.  I think the fight will be more over Escrow (but since its leverage against the 50-50 split, I dont see how they can, although that might be where the cap rolls back a bit as the PA usually triggers unnatural escalators which pushes up the much-hated escrow) and the definition of "revenue" as it pertains to expansion, and things like World Cup, Olympics etc.

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I cant see the NHL winning a ratio fight.  Its 50-50 and fighting to lower it wont win any PR battles.  The PA will want it higher so the NHL maintaining the fair and equitable split makes the most sense to me.  I think the fight will be more over Escrow (but since its leverage against the 50-50 split, I dont see how they can, although that might be where the cap rolls back a bit as the PA usually triggers unnatural escalators which pushes up the much-hated escrow) and the definition of "revenue" as it pertains to expansion, and things like World Cup, Olympics etc.

Escrow is the big one for the players but I'm not sure how they can get away from the current formula. 

I think the owners push to move the 50-50 balance. They're going to try to get more revenue excluded, which moves the line. 50-50 will stay but the players will not get a piece of everything they were getting before. 

Imagine another lockout. SMH. 

Just now, JCon said:

Escrow is the big one for the players but I'm not sure how they can get away from the current formula. 

I think the owners push to move the 50-50 balance. They're going to try to get more revenue excluded, which moves the line. 50-50 will stay but the players will not get a piece of everything they were getting before. 

Imagine another lockout. SMH. 

Knowing the NHL, they will offer a ridiculous agreement, the players will spout off and in the end, the players will feel lucky to kept most of the status quo.

The only way to lower escrow, if I understand it (and I might not), is to lower salaries.  Escrow increases because salaries cannot exeed 50% of revenue so at the end of the year, if the players' salaries are 53%, the league claws back money (keeps part of the escrow).  The PA can trigger unnatural cap increases which they usually do which ofcourse, increases escrow.  I think the PA does this to anger the players against the league.

But unless the players want to argue they should get more than 50%, which they might do, its a tough nut to crack.  And the players usually lose the public relations battle.  Demanding more than 50% or agreeing to 50% but wanting to keep their escrow (meaning they get more than 50%) wont engender a lot of support from the ticket buying public.

7 hours ago, iHeart said:

man that is alot for five years

Look around the league... battle-tested heart and soul of the team just cranked out a 90 point season while kids like Draisaitl in Edmonton are already 8.5 million and up.  Wheeler’s salary is well deserved.  The Jets are in this crazy window of ‘win now’ yet still have a surprising amount of cap space.  The talented prospects are coming out of the woodwork and are fighting for a spot on the club this year.  Need a captain like Wheeler to guide the youth.

8 hours ago, BigBlueFanatic said:

Look around the league... battle-tested heart and soul of the team just cranked out a 90 point season while kids like Draisaitl in Edmonton are already 8.5 million and up.  Wheeler’s salary is well deserved.  The Jets are in this crazy window of ‘win now’ yet still have a surprising amount of cap space.  The talented prospects are coming out of the woodwork and are fighting for a spot on the club this year.  Need a captain like Wheeler to guide the youth.

It could also be seen as an investment to attract talent knowing Blake Wheeler is the captain longer term.

1 minute ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It could also be seen as an investment to attract talent knowing Blake Wheeler is the captain longer term.

I agree with your theory (Wheeler will attract others) but who are we trying to sign over the next few years? I wonder how many FAs we'll try to attract and for what position? We're obviously not going after any big name FAs. 

Our best hope is that we can unload bigger contracts like Little and Perreault and picks/prospects to refresh the farm. 

The next couple of years will be interesting on and off the ice. 

The AAV is not out of whack for what Wheeler brings to the table right now.  If he was a UFA this summer he'd have gotten more money from someone else.  Assuming he is more than a PPG this year, he'd have walked into free agency and got more next summer too.  He could have demanded more years.  Seems like a really fair deal in my mind, the more I look at it.

When people talked about Wheeler not fitting the Jets' core or whatever, it didnt make sense to me because he's arguably our best player right now and I'd fear losing his grit and passion in the playoffs.  

The best case scenario is the Jets win a cup or two, Wheeler plays til the end of his deal and retires a Jet.

On 2018-08-25 at 8:46 PM, Goalie said:

I dont think so. I think they are gonna transition to the younger core. Hes 33. We are loaded with young wingers. Trade Blake for a 1st and D or C prospect

So you've changed your mind?  😉  I kid...the term is good and the money is good.  Both less than he could get on the open market.  Its not a huge discount or favour to the Jets but its certainly a bit of both.

15 minutes ago, iHeart said:

is the other guy we got on July 1st going to the Moose?

I'm not sure. I guess it depends on training camp and how much they expect to ride Helle? If Helle is going to start a ton over the first few months, they may have Comrie start with the Moose, so he gets his playing time in. 

Anyone else have a better sense of what the plan is? 

My sense was Laurent Brossoit was signed to be Helle's back-up.  Apparently, he's very well thought of around the league as maybe a potential late bloomer, is training partners with Helle and does the same off-season work-out program.  It seemed to be a supportive measure for Helle, rather then signing someone to compete with him.

Interestingly, the NHL salary of Brossoit & Comrie is the same &$650,000.  But Comrie's is a two-way deal and Brossoit's is only a one way deal.

And in a way, its not a knock on Comrie...I'd imagine the Jets would prefer Comrie start for the Moose and get lots of playing time rather then watch Helle play 60 games.  They might call Comrie up during the season for a stretch (especially if Brossoit starts some games and isnt good but maybe even if he is, just to Comrie some NHL experience).  Comrie is also Waiver Exempt.  I dont think Brossoit is.  So surely, Comrie starts the season with the Moose.

Comrie's AHL salary is $125,000 but he has a minimum guaranteed salary of $175,000 so he'll do alright (and it doesnt cost the Jets anything more to give him an NHL game or two).

I think their intent is Comrie plays big minutes for the Moose and Brossoit backs up his buddy Helle.

Edited by The Unknown Poster