Round 2 - Game 6: Predators at Jets

Wasn't that game like a kick in the teeth, a car crash that you don't want to see but keep looking, throw this one in the garbage you will either see a better played game on Thursday or it will be next year for our over achieving Jets.

Edited by bustamente

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Lol. You cant be serious. If he does Maurice needs to be fired on the spot. 

gee I don't know maybe it's just the frustration talking

also do you think we WANTED to see another gross catfish?

Edited by iHeart

37 minutes ago, iHeart said:

gee I don't know maybe it's just the frustration talking

also do you think we WANTED to see another gross catfish?

You live in Winnipeg. You should probably get out more. Our red river catfish are bigger. 

1 hour ago, sweep the leg said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

Likely serious as the team was unprepared for the game. The talk before in pre game seemed to suggest that it was a foregone conclusion and they were getting ready for Vegas. 

Personally, i think their inexperience in the playoffs is playing a role. 

1 goal at home in last 2 games? Its gotta be on the coach and the players. 

Edited by Goalie

6 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Likely serious as the team was unprepared for the game. The talk before in pre game seemed to suggest that it was a foregone conclusion and they were getting ready for Vegas.

The talk from who? Did any of the coaches/players say that?

7 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I agree it falls on everybody, not "Maurice and no one else".

The Jets generally seem poor at in-game adjustments.  Thats on coaching.  Looking ill-prepared, thats on coaching and leadership of the team.

The Jets had their chances last night.  Rinne played really well.  Preds dont like when they are being pushed and every time the Jets seemed to rally, Preds seemed to wilt.  If we had scored on any of our chances, it likely changes the whole game.  preds play the trap well and just muddy up the lanes and make it hard to play skilled hockey against them. 

It would suck for the skilled team to lose to a trap team.  But our coaches have to find a way to break through, like they did in Game 5.  Really, Jets have to score first and then keep the pressure on.  if Preds are forced to actually try to play offensively, it opens the game up and we'll win, barring Rinne stealing it.  But Preds score first, they simply play trap hockey and wait for mistakes/opportunities.

Show up in the first period, maybe score on the PP and keep the Predators to the outside, skate hard and hit the Predators don't handle that combination very well but will the Jets do this, it's quite possible the Jets have gone as far as they can this year, but it's better than anybody thought they would do at the beginning of the year..

1 minute ago, bustamente said:

Show up in the first period, maybe score on the PP and keep the Predators to the outside, skate hard and hit the Predators don't handle that combination very well but will the Jets do this, it's quite possible the Jets have gone as far as they can this year, but it's better than anybody thought they would do at the beginning of the year..

Have faith, we're going to win the seventh game. The two best teams in the league are slugging it out now, as much as we wanted it over quick, going seven in this series was predictable. Watch it go into OT for the seventh game, how stressful will that be . . . 

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Have faith, we're going to win the seventh game. The two best teams in the league are slugging it out now, as much as we wanted it over quick, going seven in this series was predictable. Watch it go into OT for the seventh game, how stressful will that be . . . 

I was actually more nervous about last night's game, less so about games played in Nashville, the Jets have played well there and I do expect then to come out strong from the get go, OT would be a crazy way to finish the series and intense.

5 minutes ago, bustamente said:

I was actually more nervous about last night's game, less so about games played in Nashville, the Jets have played well there and I do expect then to come out strong from the get go, OT would be a crazy way to finish the series and intense.

I was hoping that they would come out strong like they did against Minnesota and finish Nash off early so the fans could sing NA NA NA HEY HEY, but it didn't happen.  This Nashville team is on a mission.  They aren't going to just roll over.  Our youth and inexperience are coming out all over the place.  Laine and Ehlers appear to have been neutralized.  It falls on Wheels and Scheif here. And Wheels doesn't look right.  Not sure what's going on with him.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

I was hoping that they would come out strong like they did against Minnesota and finish Nash over early, but it didn't happen.  This Nashville team is on a mission.  They aren't going to just roll over.  Our youth and inexperience are coming out all over the place.  Laine and Ehlers appear to have been neutralized.  It falls on Wheels and Scheif here. And Wheels doesn't look right.  Not sure what's going on with him.

I think they're being outworked. The whole team was last night imo. The level of hustle Nashville had in their game was crazy.

The sky is falling! 

Just kidding! I personally think Maurice got outcoached last night. Nashville gets up early then locks it down. There was no adjustment. We stuck to our game plan worse than a CFL coach when things clearly weren't working. Continuously tried carrying it in instead of hammering it into the corner. That being said, it was one game and I don't want maurice canned or anything  - he coached us to our best record ever.

If at the beginning of the year if we were told we would be in game 7 of round 2 against the presidents trophy winner we would all be ecstatic regardless of the outcome.

We can expect at least a bounce back game and effort next game and hopefully Helle is on lock, veterans push this team to be their best and our young guys respond. If that happens I think we win. 

Edited by Dr Zaius

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

I can't tell if you're being serious.

I like the job Maurice has done - he’s definitely grown on me

but the jets have no answers for the Nashville trap and no variety in the power play - if we score early and keep the game wide open, we win game seven - if Nashville scores early, I’m not sure we have the in-game adjustments to answer when they lock it down

My take:

There is no point in hammering pucks into the corner if the wingers aren't going to go after them hard.  This is a good fore-checking team - now that they really need to do it, it doesn't seem to be there.  When they took over game 5, they literally had their way with Subban and the other D behind the net and along the boards.  What happened to that in game 6?  In my opinion, Rinne wasn't great in game 6, but he didn't have to be.  The Jets did not have very many good scoring chances.  

3 hours ago, Goalie said:

Personally, i think their inexperience in the playoffs is playing a role. 

The talk before the game... Can you point out which Jet or coach was talking like it was a foregone conclusion? 

I'm not sure experience matters that much. The Preds were the top team in the league this season and went to the finals last year. Yet, the Jets have pushed them to elimination. How could that be? 

So, you're saying the loss is on the players and coach? Interesting. 

Jets came out flat plain and simple. No adjustments, playing from weakness. 

Nashville came out hitting. Nashville came out agressively going at the puck, trying to force turnovers, forcing the Jets to make mistakes.

4 Power plays, next to no action. 

Jets did crap all. 

Quick early fluke goal set the tone, deflated the crowd and team and it was game over. We've seen them come back from worse so we knew we still had a chance in the 3rd, but the team made zero adjustments coming in, 5 minutes into the 3rd we know it was a foregone conclusion. 

This whole series has been an alternating 1 up 1 down from both teams, except for Game 2 essentially (which should have been the Jets the way they came back). 

Interesting to see how an extra day of rest will play for both teams. Nashville will be fired up. We need goals early and quick.