Should Ricky Ray Retire (On A High Note), Or Keep Trying To Go Beyond 40?

USABomberfan

Should Ricky Ray Step Down At This Time?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Time for Ricky Ray To Retire?

You know it's a thing, that over the years you come to appreciate the great QBs that make this league go, and I personally was happy to see Ricky Ray come back from some bad injuries through 2014-2016 and bring home the cup.  Certainly you'd hate to lose a guy like that.  But, with him bringing the goods home, I'm one to think now might be a good time for him to step down and retire.  I say so because given those injuries he's had, it could very well be he'd be forced to retire from suffering another one and just given his age and the recovery difficulty it would be.

As of right now, he's about 19,000 yards behind Calvillo's passing yard record.  I don't see him breaking that before his career is up.  Now he could possibly tie or break Calvillo's Grey Cup wins (not being the MOP), but that's still a long shot in my books.  The guy loves football, no doubt.  But I'd probably consider stepping down now while having the goods in my hands and giving the next guy the opportunity to lead the Argos.  Now of course if Trestman is reluctant to roll with a new QB, perhaps he tries to talk Ray into staying one or 2 more years.  But, I'm just looking at the opportunity to step down while the optics still look good versus risking being retired by an injury.

Edited by USABomberfan

8 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

There should be a depends option. If Popp can't find a suitable replacement heading into 2018 then I don't see how they don't back up a truck to his front door and beg him for 1 more year

Added.  I guess with the rumors on Franklin going there (outbidding SSK), it was my guess that Ray might retire and Toronto would be JF's highest bidder.  Ray will be 39 by the end of next season.   Burris suffered almost no injuries even at his old age, yet even he saw the writing that said when it was time to go, it was time to go.  Ray on the other hand got relatively fortunate this last season that he missed little time and was able to stay in there for TO.  Given what happened over the last few years though, I wouldn't be betting that him playing an entire season is just going to happen again.  Now just seems like the right time for Ricky to say football is done, time to spend time with family and other things.

20 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

Added.  I guess with the rumors on Franklin going there (outbidding SSK), it was my guess that Ray might retire and Toronto would be JF's highest bidder.  Ray will be 39 by the end of next season.   Burris suffered almost no injuries even at his old age, yet even he saw the writing that said when it was time to go, it was time to go.  Ray on the other hand got relatively fortunate this last season that he missed little time and was able to stay in there for TO.  Given what happened over the last few years though, I wouldn't be betting that him playing an entire season is just going to happen again.  Now just seems like the right time for Ricky to say football is done, time to spend time with family and other things.

Even if they land Franklin (which I don't think will happen TBH - if Jones aint 100% sold on Bridge, there's little chance he will be outbid IMHO) Franklin, Fajardo and ? heading into 2018 might be a little risky for the argos.  That is very suspect depth behind a very unproven QB. If it's not Ray then there will be another vet insurance brought in, maybe Durant at a vastly reduced salary, maybe Glenn... I just don't see any team going 100% in on Franklin without some sort of back up plan that can settle some sort of emergency fire in case he doesn't live up to the expectations

Yah I’m sorry anybody who thinks he’s retiring is out of their minds.

how many jobs do you make 450 k a year. I know we all like to think this is a majestic “ go out on top” thing, but it just doesn’t work like that. He’s not making millions of dollars . He keeps playing and I frankly can’t even believe that this is a conversation. Especially with trestman at the helms who can extend an old qbs career.

18 minutes ago, BaconNBigBlue said:

How long has he had that brace on his left arm?  Do you want to go out on top and go out busted up?  It's bad enough his arthritis will horrible, I couldn't imagine another concussion and more broken bones.

Ya and I might get hit by a bus tomorrow but it doesn't mean I'm going to stay in my house all day

1 hour ago, Atomic said:

Ya and I might get hit by a bus tomorrow but it doesn't mean I'm going to stay in my house all day

exactly.  we only have so many days on this big blue marble to make money and have fun... if hes still loving life as a QB... why would he step away from the game?  Sure seemed like he is still capable. 

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I don't think that's the point.  The point is every great player still has to think about life outside of football because father time comes knocking whether we want him to or not.  At this point, I don't know how many ceilings Ray really has to bust through.  He's going to be going to the CFL Hall of Fame at this point anyway, he's not going to break Calvillo's passing record, and considering how taxing even the rigors of training camp can be, I'd be thinking if I was him that now is my time to say "mission accomplished, thank you CFL for a great career."

Always been a fan of Ray's. If he comes back for 2018, I'll still be a fan, if he retires, I'll be happy I got to see him play and wish him all the best.

It's a super personal decision with health and financial considerations, and since I'm not his doctor, his accountant, his coach, or a member of his family, I choose d) no opinion because it's really none of my business.

Edited by johnzo

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

I don't think that's the point.  The point is every great player still has to think about life outside of football because father time comes knocking whether we want him to or not.  At this point, I don't know how many ceilings Ray really has to bust through.  He's going to be going to the CFL Hall of Fame at this point anyway, he's not going to break Calvillo's passing record, and considering how taxing even the rigors of training camp can be, I'd be thinking if I was him that now is my time to say "mission accomplished, thank you CFL for a great career."

Honestly Ray could have retired after winning in 2012 and he still would have had a hall of fame career.  I don't think the hall of fame or breaking records is what is driving his decision.  From the comments he has made, it seems to me that he is leaning towards returning.  He is making good money and clearly still loves to play the game.

11 hours ago, Zontar said:

Argos will go all in on Collaros and you can't pay em both without somebody getting a haircut and riding the bench.  Someboy wins  and its never the player pushing 40.

Get rid of the HoF QB for a reclamation project?  Seems risky.  I don't see it happening.  They will keep Ray and attempt to develop a QB from within, IMO.

13 hours ago, Zontar said:

Argos will go all in on Collaros and you can't pay em both without somebody getting a haircut and riding the bench.  Someboy wins  and its never the player pushing 40.

Collaros did not look like anything I would want to pick up off the side of the road. Looked more like something I would wipe off my boot. 

45 minutes ago, Fan Boy said:

Collaros did not look like anything I would want to pick up off the side of the road. Looked more like something I would wipe off my boot. 

I think he is still a solid QB. I don't think he has been WIlly'd completely yet.  He had some mental toughness and fortitude when he came into the league... I'd expect him to bounce back in a different market. 

8 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

I think he is still a solid QB. I don't think he has been WIlly'd completely yet.  He had some mental toughness and fortitude when he came into the league... I'd expect him to bounce back in a different market. 

Collaros may find himself in Nichols shoes, written off by many after serious  injuries he just needs to find a new home to continue his career.  I wouldn't write him off like Willy as he's a fiery competitor who will find a way to come back.