Around The League: 2018 Offseason

Zontar

23 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

But...but... what about all that NFL interest he said he was getting and wanted out of his contract to pursue. :rolleyes: 

But.. but... he got a new contract that pays him among the best in the league at his position so who cares? I think he did want to pursue NFL opportunities but couldn't. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

But.. but... he got a new contract that pays him among the best in the league at his position so who cares? I think he did want to pursue NFL opportunities but couldn't. 

Wilder's original statement:  

I’ve received expressions of interest from several NFL teams and I’ve reached out to the Argonauts on multiple occasions but have been told they won’t allow me to pursue those opportunities. 

The last offer from the Argos that was reported by Dunk 2 days before Wilder signed was $100,000 (with no signing bonus) and he is now signed until after the 2019 season.  You think $100,000 Cdn is so great that he would give up on trying the NFL again for 2 years if he had all the interest he claimed.

Dunk also reported:

Canadian Andrew Harris is set to make just under $200,000 with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers in 2018, making him the highest paid ball-carrier in the CFL. Given his status as a ratio-breaker and his consistently excellent production, that makes sense. Alouettes running back Tyrell Sutton checks in at $120,000, Jerome Messam $110,000 and C.J. Gable just under $100,000.

Wilder’s new contract offer from the Argos is around $100,000 but it does not include a signing bonus. By comparison, Harris is due $60,000 in off-season money, Sutton received a $36,000 signing bonus while a number of the others have a roster payment or got upfront money when they signed their new deals including Gable ($30,000) Messam ($20,000) Jeremiah Johnson ($18,000) and William Powell ($15,000.) That signing bonus is beneficial for American players because it is taxed at a lower rate, which is why Gable took a larger payment upon signing than hard money elsewhere.

Edited by Jacquie

10 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

where is that going??

there's the one asshat around here who trolls with rampant negativity (save the jokes....it's worse than me...) and spells it Enoch all the time, because he's trying to intentionally be an asshat...I think it's that OldBomberFan or something...

Just now, Noeller said:

there's the one asshat around here who trolls with rampant negativity (save the jokes....it's worse than me...) and spells it Enoch all the time, because he's trying to intentionally be an asshat...I think it's that OldBomberFan or something...

oh ok.  I was more curious as to how things are going with signing Henoc.  With the Jets going well I've been neglecting my Bomber news.  I did see that he tweeted something the other day.  I think with Henoc in the line-up we have a legitimate shot at the Cup this year.   He's the last piece of the puzzle.

13 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

oh ok.  I was more curious as to how things are going with signing Henoc.  With the Jets going well I've been neglecting my Bomber news.  I did see that he tweeted something the other day.  I think with Henoc in the line-up we have a legitimate shot at the Cup this year.   He's the last piece of the puzzle.

On TSN.ca  they had an article about how Henoc and the Blue were working together to get a deal done.... sounded like it was only a matter of time based on the article?

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

On TSN.ca  they had an article about how Henoc and the Blue were working together to get a deal done.... sounded like it was only a matter of time based on the article?

that entire article was predicated on a tweet with no real basis....Henoc replying to a fan with "Trying to get something done!" which doesn't necessarily mean that he and his agent are "working together" with the Bombers....it's kind of vague. And it's ******* Twitter! Who knows what's going on....I was surprised that TSN would actually publish an article based on a tweet.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

that entire article was predicated on a tweet with no real basis....Henoc replying to a fan with "Trying to get something done!" which doesn't necessarily mean that he and his agent are "working together" with the Bombers....it's kind of vague. And it's ******* Twitter! Who knows what's going on....I was surprised that TSN would actually publish an article based on a tweet.

when it's a slow news day it's a slow news day

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

LOL - CNN spends 4 hours a day on Trump's tweets.

14 hours ago, Noeller said:

The Wilder thing is all bullshit but I'm not going to piss and moan about it. Instead I hope he absolutely tanks and doesn't live up to his contract in any way. 

I dunno... having his future paycheque down south dependant on a monster year in 2019 seems pretty good to me. He went about it in the worst way possible, but it was always going to end this way with an improved deal for this season and a wink and a nod to leave next winter. We get a guy who legit has a shot at 2000 from scrimmage and he gets to pad his resume and make $130k. Not the best deal for either side, but it's liveable.

Just now, bluto said:

I dunno... having his future paycheque down south dependant on a monster year in 2019 seems pretty good to me. He went about it in the worst way possible, but it was always going to end this way with an improved deal for this season and a wink and a nod to leave next winter. We get a guy who legit has a shot at 2000 from scrimmage and he gets to pad his resume and make $130k. Not the best deal for either side, but it's liveable.

Where is Coombs at in terms of contract?  I am hopeful next year we complete our collection of native sons at the RB position.  Only one more to go!

1 hour ago, bluto said:

We get a guy who legit has a shot at 2000 from scrimmage

yahuh.

How many times have we seen guys come in late with fresh legs and put up monster numbers only to have the grind of an 18 game season wear them down and the pace isn't sustainable? Happens to every single running back. Even if they start strong and play all 18 they don't maintain that kind of pace. That's even assuming they don't get hurt, which is entirely possible. 

2 hours ago, bluto said:

Considering how the league has put their foot down on side deals, you really think that could happen. 

If he wants to try the NFL so badly why commit to the extra season with the Argos? If he plays out the contract then he wouldn’t be able to play in the NFL until the 2020 season and he would be 28 years old by then.

Where did you get the $130,000 figure?