Winnipeg @ Ottawa: Are they due?

BigBlue

12 hours ago, Nash00 said:

I would say that next week VS Hamilton shapes up as more of a trap game, especially with them starting at 0-6 VS Edmonton this week. Hamilton looks awful in all 3 facets but they will win eventually, probably at home if anywhere and we tend to play up/down to the competition so far.

This is a winnable game VS Ottawa for sure, but it's no gimmie. We need this one, I worry about that Hamilton game and we get Edmonton after that so we need to go on a run here VS the East.

I would agree with you, except Hamilton has looked absolutely horrendous so far this season to the point of being non-competitive in all phases. Ottawa on the other hand has only 1 more win than Hamilton, but they are much better than 1-4-1 (as opposed to Hamilton at 0-6). A loss Friday would bring alot of Weiceks and other naysayers out of the woodwork, and the talks of a .500 team will begin anew.

Just now, Eternal optimist said:

I would agree with you, except Hamilton has looked absolutely horrendous so far this season to the point of being non-competitive in all phases. Ottawa on the other hand has only 1 more win than Hamilton, but they are much better than 1-4-1 (as opposed to Hamilton at 0-6). A loss Friday would bring alot of Weiceks and other naysayers out of the woodwork, and the talks of a .500 team will begin anew.

And rightfully so. If you can't consistently beat poor teams, you are a poor team. Still the Bombers are as due for a game where they steam-roller the opposition as much as they care capable of blowing winnable games.

Edited by tracker

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

No I want a team that makes the playoffs year in and year out. I want a team that can compete with the best teams in the league, which this team can do. I ain't gonna stress about 1st or 4th in the division as long as they make the playoffs, cause once you're in the playoffs you got a chance to win the grey cup if you play well for 3 weeks in a row. 

Which is exactly the reason why Ottawa was my pick to win the GC last year, right after they clinched first in the East. They were trending up at the right time, while teams like Calgary and Edmonton were in cruise control. 

14 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Yah, but where is Ottawa this season?  It seems like we're looking for different things, you want a G.C. asap and you don't care how they go about getting it.  I want them to improve their odds by continuing to build the team until they are legitimate contenders for the G.C. every year, like Cgy. is and Edm. is once again becoming.  That necessitates finishing in upper reaches of the West Division consistently.  Fair chance they won't accomplish it this year but in the end that should be the goal of the current regime.

Uh, they're still defending champions. Been a long, long time since the Bombers could say that. And seriously, would anyone be upset with a GC win followed up with a mediocre start to the following season?

We all know it's not how you start but how you finish. Just ask the defending champions.

19 hours ago, Yourface said:

Ideally I would hope the Bombers win this one despite being screwed over by the refs BIG TIME. They deserve to experience the frustration that all their opponents have had to unfairly experience this year.

yea because we have NEVER had the refs screw us over before.  

not like the league didn't issue 2 apologies to us last year.  oh wait..

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Uh, they're still defending champions. Been a long, long time since the Bombers could say that. And seriously, would anyone be upset with a GC win followed up with a mediocre start to the following season?

We all know it's not how you start but how you finish. Just ask the defending champions.

you do realize you are talking about the blue bombers fan base, right?  if they can find something to complain about..

32 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

you do realize you are talking about the blue bombers fan base, right?  if they can find something to complain about..

I have said for years, when the Bombers win the Grey Cup Freisen is going to write an article with the headline "All Downhill From Here" and tons of fans are going to agree completely with it. 

2 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

The point I am attempting to make is that Ottawa was 8-9-1 last year and it looks like they will be about the same this year, thus they are not a good team to pick as a building block role model that can consistently challenge for the Cup like the Stamps.  Sure any team with a .500 record can fluke up a G.C. appearance especially coming out of the East but where will they be the following year, among the strongest teams in the league or back to puttering around .500?

3 hours ago, blue_gold_84 said:

I can think of two or three "fans" who would be positively giddy at the prospect.  Hard to bash the Bombers if they're winning.

Edited by WBBFanWest

1 minute ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

The point I am attempting to make is that Ottawa was 8-9-1 last year and it looks like they will be about the same this year, thus they are not a good team to pick as a building block role model that can consistently challenge for the Cup like the Stamps.  Sure any team with a .500 record can fluke up a G.C. appearance especially coming out of the East but where will they be the following year, among the strongest teams in the league or back to puttering around .500?

Of course any team can fluke a championship. Remember 2001? Again: it's how you finish, not how you start. Meanwhile, a team like the Stampeders consistently dominate the regular season but consistently fall short in the post-season.

Nothing is guaranteed in the CFL.

11 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I have said for years, when the Bombers win the Grey Cup Freisen is going to write an article with the headline "All Downhill From Here" and tons of fans are going to agree completely with it. 

He and Wiecek will talk about how it wasn't convincing enough of a win and they won despite the head coach. Just a couple of stale old plugs.

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How many Grey Cups have the Stamps won lately though? Same as the REDBLACKS!!!!! since that franchise came back. Being first all the time doesn't mean jack **** about improving your chances to win a Grey Cup. For other great examples look at Montreal, they were first in their division a ton in the 2000s and hardly have any cups to show for it. 

18 hours ago, tracker said:

Bombers are likely to have a really bad game at least once this year, and Ottawa is going to have a breakout game. Lets hope that they are not the same game next Friday.

Wasn't the Calgary game the bad game. I though the Bombers played like a bag of dog poop left on the porch by the Mike O'Shea's paper boy.  That paper boy's name is Weicek.

Edited by Fan Boy
required media bashing.

3 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Wasn't the Calgary game the bad game. I though the Bombers played like a bag of dog poop left on the porch by the Mike O'Shea's paper boy.  That paper boy's name is Weicek.

That game wasn't all bad, but sooner or later.......

23 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I mean, 1990 was a long time ago man. I would have loved a "fluke" Grey Cup a few years ago in BC. Or Toronto.