Odds and Sods - Montreal Als at Blue Bombers

I'm going to go on a little rant here......

In my section on the west side I sit with a group of STH's who have been together since the old place. My irritation with their negativity is beginning to get to the point where I'm thinking about moving to a different section. Last night the people behind me, who know more than the coach and gm, were unreal. Bitching about the offence, the defence, the coaching, and of course the ref's. Even after a good play they seemed to be able to find a reason to complain.

Man I was happy when the left, and I gotta say even happier when we won!! Next home game I'm going to tell them to leave even earlier, cause it's clearly beneficial to the team!!

I guess I just feel like we're supposed to be fans, so let's cheer on the team. If nothing they do is going to make you happy, then don't bother coming.

13 minutes ago, Stickem said:

..'It was Jingle Balls in the stretch and down to the wire...and I'm not touching that with a ten foot pole" ...Quite a character was ol Jack

Heard this joke yesterday on a country radio station from N Dakota:

"It was so hot out today, the squirrels were putting sunscreen on their nuts"

9 minutes ago, ddanger said:

In my section on the west side I sit with a group of STH's who have been together since the old place. My irritation with their negativity is beginning to get to the point where I'm thinking about moving to a different section. Last night the people behind me, who know more than the coach and gm, were unreal. Bitching about the offence, the defence, the coaching, and of course the ref's. Even after a good play they seemed to be able to find a reason to complain.

Man I was happy when the left, and I gotta say even happier when we won!! Next home game I'm going to tell them to leave even earlier, cause it's clearly beneficial to the team!!

I guess I just feel like we're supposed to be fans, so let's cheer on the team. If nothing they do is going to make you happy, then don't bother coming.

I feel your pain.  We had a group of STH's like that, right behind us the last couple years & they either moved or didn't renew this year so I've been happy about that.  We lost them but gained one new guy who is just as bad.  He bailed early last night too so i hope he keeps it going!

21 minutes ago, ddanger said:

Highlighted your first mistake... hasn't anyone ever told you that the west side sucks?

I'm in 209 and I've got one guy near me who was biatching about Richie Hall for most of the game, but generally the rest of the guys in that group have been pretty reasonable.  Not always looking for the negative at least.

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

Have got the same thing in our section.

Nothing like an aging population who hasn't seen much winning in 25 years.. Man were on the right track it's there! We were 11-7 last season and could/should be 4-1 to start the season but people are acting like we were 3-15 last season and winless to start the season. I get the frustration but if you can't see the good things unfolding infront of you.. I don't know what to tell you. Our club could play  and win against anybody.

17 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

Nothing like an aging population who hasn't seen much winning in 25 years.. Man were on the right track it's there! We were 11-7 last season and could/should be 4-1 to start the season but people are acting like we were 3-15 last season and winless to start the season. I get the frustration but if you can't see the good things unfolding infront of you.. I don't know what to tell you. Our club could play  and win against anybody.

17to85 and I were just saying this.....good things comin', boys.....good things comin'......

Hilarious calls in on 1290 Hustler today at 5:30.... a lot of them were people guffawing cause they stayed when the whiners left.

One guy said he's going to offer to buy the season tickets from the whiner sitting beside him... LOL!

Says he'll have no trouble selling them to his friends.

Hustler was laughing at the people who phoned in, that left early. I am now a complete Hustler fan.

Edited by Mark F

2 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Hilarious calls in on 1290 Hustler today at 5:30.... a lot of them about people guffawing cause they stayed when the whiners left.

One guy said he's going to offer the season tickets from the whiner sitting beside him... LOL!

Says he'll have no trouble selling them to his friends.

awesome -- I loved that MOS took a not-so-thinly-veiled shot at the people leaving early last night. Kudos to everyone who stayed. It's the CFL for f*ck sakes.....anything can, and has, happen(ed)...

14 minutes ago, Mark F said:

There was a game way back when, so I'm just guessing, they succesfully made two onside kicks in the last few minutes, I think. I think Joe Pop was involved somehow. and won the game.

Is that the one where he kicked it and recovered it himself? I have heard this story from my aunt, but was too young to remember it myself....

35 minutes ago, tracker said:

No matter how much kvetching, any fan who shows up and pays their money has the right to vent. God knows, the team has played poorly enough on occasion to warrant the complaints. When fans do not care enough to complain, the team is in deep trouble.

I get that but to yell negativity the entire game really gets on my nevers especially when most of it is unfounded. 

44 minutes ago, tracker said:

No matter how much kvetching, any fan who shows up and pays their money has the right to vent. God knows, the team has played poorly enough on occasion to warrant the complaints. When fans do not care enough to complain, the team is in deep trouble.

That's actually an interesting point to highlight the diversity of how 'fans' approach the game.

17 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Is that the one where he kicked it and recovered it himself? I have heard this story from my aunt, but was too young to remember it myself....

I believe that was the game where Poplawski kicked the ball left-footed, because he was soccer savvy, and it was totally unexpected. We recovered and went on to win that game.

23 minutes ago, Noeller said:

do not remember its so long ago, but, it was as crazy as the game last night.

42 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I believe that was the game where Poplawski kicked the ball left-footed, because he was soccer savvy, and it was totally unexpected. We recovered and went on to win that game.

Yup, walked up to the ball as a right legger, then popped it left footed, right into Gord Patterson's arms, down the sideline.   That might of been the first time I spilled gin, in my lap....

2 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

That's the one I heard about... He walked up like he was gonna kick right footed and ended up kicking to the other side with his left, and totally fooled the other team. Man I'd live to have seen that... 

Just watched the game...

- DL and OL very very good - that's how you win

- Hurl is still a weak point - still has no closing speed and guaranteed to for a handful of really bad reads each game - Labbe 2.0

- Nichols throwing off his back foot a lot... wonder if he doesn't have a minor injury... 

- Oshea continues to makes strange coaching decisions, Hall continues to play soft and Lapo calls conservative

- John Bowman read Lapo's playbook 

- Our DL cover better than Carmichael but boundary so locked down that Randle fell asleep

- Kevin Fogg is healthy and not starting?

- Lapo still stuck on the hooks and curls...

- Loffler is just so so good

- Bomber O does well with hurry up - maybe because Nichols is calling plays?

- Again... if Harris stays healthy, this is a grey cup contender - he is the heart and soul of this team

- Ridiculously fun team to watch, Osh may not be the best coach but they've got his work ethic

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Yes.

In many ways a very similar ending. Bombers down by 12. Scored twice in the last 62 seconds. Onside kick leads to the second score.

Weird thing is....a story about that game was written by Mike Sawatsky only a week ago (sorry pay wall here):

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/the-miracle-at-lansdowne-park-435939803.html

I watched the game today as well...  I don't understand why people are knocking on LaPo so much...  that first quarter was a dud because they scored on short field,  and the next two drives the  o-line gave Harris zero holes to run into.   As much as the O-line gets its praises... it definitely is struggling on the run blocks and a few completely missed blocks.     

Dear lord the refs throw so many ticky tac flags .... let them play football for the love of God....

The D-line has such a better push this season compared to last it's night and day different.   Unfortunately the soft zone still seems to be useless.  

People knock CarMicheal.... my eyes saw Randle being beat several times.  

The discipline this teams has under O'Shea and the work ethic is night and day different from the Lapo/Burke days.    It doesn't look like the guys are taking any stupid mental penalties (losing their cool like Swaggerville would) and the guys are trying on each play.  

The board knocks Lankford... guy looked way better then Denmark out there tonight.  

Montreal had some key penalties and lucky bounces going their way.   They as well played mistake free football for most of the game.  

This team definitely can win if they can call way more man to man and if the o-line can open some holes for Harris.  

5 hours ago, ladybug said:

Yes.

In many ways a very similar ending. Bombers down by 12. Scored twice in the last 62 seconds. Onside kick leads to the second score.

Weird thing is....a story about that game was written by Mike Sawatsky only a week ago (sorry pay wall here):

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/the-miracle-at-lansdowne-park-435939803.html

Thanks a lot, that is such a good article. So much about the camraderie of the players in those days, which I suspect might not be the same now. (I clicked your link and did not get a paywall by the way).

Edited by Mark F