The Expansion Draft

Ducky

Just now, bustamente said:

Think there will be a flurry of trades before the draft and during the draft, Chevy needs to be a player and get us a goalie to complement and push Helle, do not want to see Hutch back as a back up next season.

Im not gonna say 100 percent but im 99.999999 percent sure he will. I think they have a deal with NYR for Raanta. 

Spin it all you want... this is pretty lame.  Losing Dano, Lowry or Armia does not kill this team.

Will still be a good defenceman at 13 not at 24.  We'll be able to add another forward prospect... just like Dano or Armia...

Instead of a good D prospect, we now have Enstrom locked in at an over-priced salary for another year.

28 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Spin it all you want... this is pretty lame.  Losing Dano, Lowry or Armia does not kill this team.

Will still be a good defenceman at 13 not at 24.  We'll be able to add another forward prospect... just like Dano or Armia...

Instead of a good D prospect, we now have Enstrom locked in at an over-priced salary for another year.

That D prospect at 13... He wouldn't be ready for 2 or 3 years... 

Just like the D prospect at 24 wont be. 

Brannstrom. Foote. Hague. Vaakainenen should all be there and are all good value picks. 

Not sure why u think losing a player who helps now is better than moving 11 spots and not losing anyone At ALL but whatever. To each their own. Jets did good despite what ppl say. 

Im gonna lol when they draft Brannstrom at 24 and some of you see him for the first time. Dude is compared to Erik Karlsson tho. Hes small . Also one of the youngest tho in the draft. 

This draft is such a crapshoot after the top 2. Not much difference between lets just say pick 5 and 30. 

Edited by Goalie

43 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

I can't believe so many have trouble with this. 

If you end up keeping 13 you lose Myers, Toby, perreault or Lowry. Then you have to go out and replace that player. 

Chevy lost no players and kept a first round pick. 

Good player available at 24.  

Jets had among the best night. 

Same 'ol agenda pushing, by some...

The uproar would rightly be worse if they lost an asset to Vegas for nothing. They did not.  They moved down in a draft that has limited star power, but decent depth in the middle of the first round. Given their history of off the board picks, they may even feel they can get their guy at 24.  Or they feel 24 + Dano and/or Petan gets you a Shea Theodore-type guy. 

I don't get the hate here?  We didn't lose anything.

Now, if Chevy sits on his hands all weekend, then I'm joining the pitchfork brigade. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy Pop said:

The uproar would rightly be worse if they lost an asset to Vegas for nothing. They did not.  They moved down in a draft that has limited star power, but decent depth in the middle of the first round. Given their history of off the board picks, they may even feel they can get their guy at 24.  Or they feel 24 + Dano and/or Petan gets you a Shea Theodore-type guy. 

Now, if Chevy sits on his hands all weekend, then I'm joining the pitchfork brigade. 

Agreed.  I suspect their draft prep had them interested in someone that was ranked lower than 13, thereby making it make a lot of sense to trade down. 

They might not be done, who knows.  Perhaps they package the 24 off to someone else. 

1 minute ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Agreed.  I suspect their draft prep had them interested in someone that was ranked lower than 13, thereby making it make a lot of sense to trade down. 

They might not be done, who knows.  Perhaps they package the 24 off to someone else. 

Better not be.  What a let down that would be.  I just wouldn't get the logic. We're ripe with young FW's and only so many spots for them to fill. Nic Petan and Marko Dano wasting away on the 4th line, or not playing period, is just poor asset management.  Don't let that repeat with more important pieces in Connor & Roslovic.

My understanding of the Jets "plan" was always - When we're ready to compete, we'll spend, we'll be aggressive.  Well Chevy, now is time. 

Just now, Jimmy Pop said:

Better not be.  What a let down that would be.  I just wouldn't get the logic. We're ripe with young FW's and only so many spots for them to fill. Nic Petan and Marko Dano wasting away on the 4th line, or not playing period, is just poor asset management.  Don't let that repeat with more important pieces in Connor & Roslovic.

My understanding of the Jets "plan" was always - When we're ready to compete, we'll spend, we'll be aggressive.  Well Chevy, now is time. 

And that might be the important aspect of keeping the roster intact, to use one or two of those players in other deals.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I would question the value of Dano and Petan on the trade market.  They aren't getting us a top 4 D or a starting goalie.  Maybe they are a nice complimentary piece to seal the deal on a tough trade but that's about it.

I have been pretty critical of Chevy but when I look at our contract situation I think next year is the critical year.... this might be another year of purgatory.

18 minutes ago, Atomic said:

I would question the value of Dano and Petan on the trade market.  They aren't getting us a top 4 D or a starting goalie.  Maybe they are a nice complimentary piece to seal the deal on a tough trade but that's about it.

I have been pretty critical of Chevy but when I look at our contract situation I think next year is the critical year.... this might be another year of purgatory.

Eh don't know about that. I'm not expecting an outright top 4 D in his prime - maybe he's 30 about to hit his downside, maybe he's 21 and just now about to be an NHL regular. I'd gamble with either scenario over the combo of Chairot, Stuart, Postma etc on their own.

I'd trade Dano to Vegas for Schlemko for example, or Petan & 24 for Theodore.   I don't see either being far-fetched.  We know VGK has too many D. 

I'm with you re: next year being huge.  Hope vs. expectation thing I guess.  At some point the new core needs to experience winning, rather it be sooner than later.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

I'd trade Dano to Vegas for Schlemko for example, or Petan & 24 for Theodore.   I don't see either being far-fetched.

Maybe.  I'd do those trades too.  Would Vegas?  I guess it depends how competitive the trade market is for those players.

To me, Theodore is exactly the kind of player Vegas will want to build their D-corps around.  Young, size, lots of potential.

8 hours ago, Goalie said:

Why didnt they just take dano then cuz they could have... U know why they didnt? Cuz they didnt want him. U see the players they took? Some will be flipped tomorrow.. Already rumors of TVR to Carolina and Miller to Toronto. This team is going to suck.. Bad. 

They skipped on top 4 d like manson or vatanen and skipped on dumba because a 3rd line center and prospect from minny worked better. Ppl talk about tanking... Vegas is the new definition

Maybe we dropped down to protect Dano ? We don't know which player Chevy protected I'm saying ethier one was not worth dropping down for.

6 minutes ago, bb1 said:

Maybe we dropped down to protect Dano ? We don't know which player Chevy protected I'm saying ethier one was not worth dropping down for.

Well... Whoever we protected (its toby lowry Perreault armia copp and dano) is definitely worth more than a mystery box prospect who wont help you for 2 or 3 years. Thats essentislly what chevy did. Drop back 11 spots to protect 6 current nhl players. Bottom line with draft picks... They are a mystery box .... They arent proven... Id be pissed if he traded out of the top 4 lets say but... Going from 13 to 24 really isnt that big of a deal at all. 

Edited by Goalie

45 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Well no pitchfork if there is another deal with this but dropping down just to hold on to marginal players at best makes zero sense....thats what people don't understand.....replace what a d man that has trouble staying healthy and makes 5 mil a year or a forward that is a bigger Burmistrov clone?

3 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Well... Whoever we protected (its toby lowry Perreault armia copp and dano) is definitely worth more than a mystery box prospect who wont help you for 2 or 3 years. Thats essentislly what chevy did. Drop back 11 spots to protect 6 current nhl players. 

Perreault Armia and Copp were already protected....?

1 minute ago, bb1 said:

Well no pitchfork if there is another deal with this but dropping down just to hold on to marginal players at best makes zero sense....thats what people don't understand.....replace what a d man that has trouble staying healthy and makes 5 mil a year or a forward that is a bigger Burmistrov clone?

I guess you dont understand they protected 6 current NHL players that they wouldnt have been able 2 under a 4 4 1 scenario and all it costed was moving back 11 spots. This isnt about just toby and dano... Its about Perreault lowry armia copp also. 

3 minutes ago, bb1 said:

You're definition of marginal at best is just vastly different than those employed by NHL teams, that's all.