The Expansion Draft

Ducky

Do we go 8-1 or 7-3-1?

I would think that Scheif, Wheeler and Little are locks to be protected and we have to protect Enstrom and Buff because of their NMCs.

Opinions will change as the year goes on and some players play better/worse and some might be traded but right now they would go 8-1.

Wheeler

Scheif

Little

Trouba

Enstrom

Buff

Myers

Helle for a goalie but who is the 8th player we shold protect?

MP? Lowry? Armia? Dano? Copp?

I say send them a draft pick so they take Copp. A 3rd rounder or so.

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

Do we go 8-1 or 7-3-1?

I would think that Scheif, Wheeler and Little are locks to be protected and we have to protect Enstrom and Buff because of their NMCs.

Opinions will change as the year goes on and some players play better/worse and some might be traded but right now they would go 8-1.

Wheeler

Scheif

Little

Trouba

Enstrom

Buff

Myers

Helle for a goalie but who is the 8th player we shold protect?

MP? Lowry? Armia? Dano? Copp?

I say send them a draft pick so they take Copp. A 3rd rounder or so.

Lowry will be protected. Wonder if we could get Toby to waive his no-move clause. Enstrom good dman, but not 5m+ good.

Button has MP has the guy who will be taken. Figure Copp but hes fallen off lately along with everyone else.

Edited by FrostyWinnipeg

Barring a trade, I think they have to go 8-1.

Hellebuyck is a no brainer for the goalie, same with the D and forwards you listed.

At the beginning of the season, I would have thought Perreault was a lock because of the extension they signed him to.   After the first half of the season, I wonder if I wouldn’t keep Armia over him.

Here is a bit of an out there thought I just had while looking at the current lineup …. Little is going to be 30 next year with one year remaining on his deal.  Looking at the younger guys coming up who are going to need raises and I’m not sure he is automatically re-signed.  Little is probably going to want a raise and 4 -5 years minimum.

So would you leave Little exposed?

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

Barring a trade, I think they have to go 8-1.

Hellebuyck is a no brainer for the goalie, same with the D and forwards you listed.

At the beginning of the season, I would have thought Perreault was a lock because of the extension they signed him to.   After the first half of the season, I wonder if I wouldn’t keep Armia over him.

Here is a bit of an out there thought I just had while looking at the current lineup …. Little is going to be 30 next year with one year remaining on his deal.  Looking at the younger guys coming up who are going to need raises and I’m not sure he is automatically re-signed.  Little is probably going to want a raise and 4 -5 years minimum.

So would you leave Little exposed?

Personally I would protect him. I've come to better appreciate what he brings to this team. He'd be one of those guys you'd wish you'd have back if he left.

The possibility of moves around the trade deadline throws all this speculation out the window - Lawless seems to think Chevy likely makes a couple at least.  Our roster could look vastly different in a few short months;  did Trouba really have a change of heart or is he dealt?  does the emergence of Morrissey make either Toby or Myers expendable?  Stafford - well, he should surely be dealt, IMO.  

Given our roster right now, Helle, our top 4 D and Scheifele, Wheeler and Little are absolute, slam dunk protected players.   Bryan Little belongs nowhere near this conversation.  

Between Lowry, Perreault, Armia, Copp etc I'm torn.   I'd lean towards Armia at the moment as I think he's got the best potential upside of the group.  Lowry is a TNSE darling and I'd be a bold move to leave him unprotected.  Matty P is a logical one to protect, perhaps some would say slam dunk as I did above with Little.  Perreault likes Wpg, just got a new deal too.  I just don't know about his role on this team moving forward,,,,  The C/wing flexibility is nice, but we seem to be grooming guys like Petan and Copp for that.  85's style fits ours I think - but big concern of course is can he stay healthy?  Played 70+ games once in his career - I need to see that consistently.  

And while Little may be 30 next year, Perreault is 29 in January.  

18 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

The possibility of moves around the trade deadline throws all this speculation out the window - Lawless seems to think Chevy likely makes a couple at least.  Our roster could look vastly different in a few short months;  did Trouba really have a change of heart or is he dealt?  does the emergence of Morrissey make either Toby or Myers expendable?  Stafford - well, he should surely be dealt, IMO.  

Given our roster right now, Helle, our top 4 D and Scheifele, Wheeler and Little are absolute, slam dunk protected players.   Bryan Little belongs nowhere near this conversation.  

Between Lowry, Perreault, Armia, Copp etc I'm torn.   I'd lean towards Armia at the moment as I think he's got the best potential upside of the group.  Lowry is a TNSE darling and I'd be a bold move to leave him unprotected.  Matty P is a logical one to protect, perhaps some would say slam dunk as I did above with Little.  Perreault likes Wpg, just got a new deal too.  I just don't know about his role on this team moving forward,,,,  The C/wing flexibility is nice, but we seem to be grooming guys like Petan and Copp for that.  85's style fits ours I think - but big concern of course is can he stay healthy?  Played 70+ games once in his career - I need to see that consistently.  

Enstrom has a NMC and has to be protected unless he waives it.

35 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Despite Perreault and Little being close to age, Perreault is signed for the next 4 years (plus this one).   I don't want to lose Little at all, but the point of my discussion is he is only under contract for this year and next.  

If the Jets are confident they can afford and re-sign him, then by all means he should be protected.   If you don't think you can re-sign him or afford him, why would you protect him to have him for next year only and lose someone like Armia who you control for the next 6ish years.

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Despite Perreault and Little being close to age, Perreault is signed for the next 4 years (plus this one).   I don't want to lose Little at all, but the point of my discussion is he is only under contract for this year and next.  

If the Jets are confident they can afford and re-sign him, then by all means he should be protected.   If you don't think you can re-sign him or afford him, why would you protect him to have him for next year only and lose someone like Armia who you control for the next 6ish years.

Hey, that's fair.  And I love the conversation...hope my wording wasn't too poor.  Only really meant, to me Little should be an auto-protect.  But I see your point.

I guess the natural progression of this is, what do y'all think Little is worth on his next deal?

30 yrs old. 600+ NHL games. Per 82, he's a lock for 20 goals & 50+ points.

4 years, $20M.  Too much? 

9 minutes ago, Jimmy Pop said:

Hey, that's fair.  And I love the conversation...hope my wording wasn't too poor.  Only really meant, to me Little should be an auto-protect.  But I see your point.

I guess the natural progression of this is, what do y'all think Little is worth on his next deal?

30 yrs old. 600+ NHL games. Per 82, he's a lock for 20 goals & 50+ points.

4 years, $20M.  Too much? 

I would take him at that contract.  Good chance he would get more (salary and / or term) on the open market though.   Ladd got 7 years @ $5.5M and will be 31 in December.   Would you pay more for Little over Ladd?  Less?  Same?

So it would very much depend on preliminary discussions with his agent and how much Little wants to stay in Winnipeg.

I don't know if they're all using the same source material and they're all wrong, but I'm seeing Copp as exempt on every list I see. I know he played a couple of games at the end of 2014/15 but perhaps he's still exempt? That would be nice. 

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I would take him at that contract.  Good chance he would get more (salary and / or term) on the open market though.   Ladd got 7 years @ $5.5M and will be 31 in December.   Would you pay more for Little over Ladd?  Less?  Same?

You're only as good as your last season.

He can waive it if he wants. 

I'd trade Enstrom or Myers ( if Trouba had a handshake agreement to sign long term) 

If not 4 D plus Little Wheeler Scheif Perreault and it's obvious. 

Lowry really? He's not exactly a huge loss. Gonna protect a 3rd line center? Jets don't seem like a team who would sign Perreault to a 4 year extension and then not protect him. 

Lose Lowry?  Oh well. Copp Roslovic or Perreault even could easily replace him. 

Edited by Goalie

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

If he waives it you go 7-3-1...........Vegas isn't about to take Enstrom.

Thats the ideal scenario.  You ask Enstrom to waive knowing Vegas wont take him.  It allows you to protect more forwards.  But whats in it for Enstrom?  He risks the unlikely scenario of Vegas choosing him (if Enstrom waives, its possible another team wants him and tells Vegas to pick him as part of a later trade).  So the key would be getting Toby to waive.  You could promise him a new contract.  Or to move him to a contender if that's important to him.

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Thats the ideal scenario.  You ask Enstrom to waive knowing Vegas wont take him.  It allows you to protect more forwards.  But whats in it for Enstrom?  He risks the unlikely scenario of Vegas choosing him (if Enstrom waives, its possible another team wants him and tells Vegas to pick him as part of a later trade).  So the key would be getting Toby to waive.  You could promise him a new contract.  Or to move him to a contender if that's important to him.

I think that's it right there.

On good faith, you tell him that you'll open up contract renegotiations on July 1st.

36 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think that's it right there.

On good faith, you tell him that you'll open up contract renegotiations on July 1st.

Yeah thats probably my play if Im Chevy (and what do I know).  If normally you'd offer a 2-3 year extension, you say you will add two years of security if he will waive his NMC.  The risk to Toby is that vegas might actually pick him.  Then again, Jets could get assurances from Vegas that they would not pick Toby.  So you get him to waive his NMC, leave him exposed and it allows you to protect more players.  Toby gets a bigger/longer extension.

If Toby wants to leave, he might as well waive too.  If Vegas picks him, he'd be their top LHD and a UFA the following year anyway.