US Politics

Rich

So Trump essentially admits today that he provided "information" to the Russians.  He makes sure to say its his right to do so, so for sure we're talking about classified info by his wording.  As President, he can de-classify anything he wants whenever he wants.  But if there any smoking guns to the Trump/Russia investigation, it would certainly create a new context for this.

And potentially a major issue for the US.  If the sitting President is indicted on charges he conspired with Russia to steal an election and thus makes him a foreign agent, do the regular rules still apply?  Would declassifying information still be considered the President's prerogative or would it be another piece of evidence against him as a pawn of Russia?

When will the Republicans turn away from this clown?  Nixon was a crook who'd do anything to win but does anything think Nixon would sell out his country (legit question as Nixon was before my time)?  Trump is.

CNN

In a sign of the hurried improvisation in the West Wing, national security adviser H.R. McMaster brought up plans to brief the press by several hours to 11:30 a.m. ET.

"I stand by my statement that I made yesterday," McMaster told reporters at the White House. "The premise of that article is false."

McMaster said everything Trump discussed with Lavrov and the Russian ambassador to the US was appropriate to the setting.
"In the context of that discussion, what the president discussed with the foreign minister was wholly appropriate to that conversation," McMaster said.

McMaster claimed Tuesday that Trump himself wasn't fully aware of important context surrounding the intelligence he disclosed to Russian officials, implying Trump didn't realize the gravity of his disclosure.

So....Trump is either an idiot when it comes to clearly sensitive information or he is an idiot when it comes to receiving information and understanding it enough to ask appropriate questions of his intelligence officials or his staff is purposely holding back information from him.

The idea Trump just didnt realise he shouldnt disclose this info is unbelievable.  Especially when, this isnt the foreign minister for the UK we're talking about.  It's the Russians.  If there is anyone you're going to err on the side of keeping your fat mouth shut, its them.

But look at this...this meeting was requested (demanded?) by Putin.  He wanted it, he got it almost immediately.  Coincidentally the day after Comey is fired.  Is there a connection?  Maybe not.  Putin wants a meeting with Trump...Comey gets fired.  Hmmmm.  Next day, Trump has two of Putin's people in the Oval Office.  They try to keep this secret but the Russians post photos leading to Trump saying they were "tricked" by the clever Russians.  My God.

Trump's staff start doing damage control.  Oh Trump never revealed classified information.  The report is completely false.  Trump then says 'oh I revealed it alright.  Because Im the man and I made a brilliant strategic decision.'  Uh huh

McMaster comes back out and say no, what I told you yesterday was true.  Even though Trump undermined that today.  And worse McMaster throws Trump under the bus.  'The President was too stupid to know what he was doing so dont blame him'.

Then you've got this idiot who cant keep anything secret tweeting a threat at the former Director of the FBI to keep quiet or else...or else there migth be "tapes" of their conversations.  Well, if you were secretly recording people in the White House, why would you tweet it?  And how is that not obstruction of justice when Comey was set to testify before Congress?  Is that not a "crime" under the impeachment procedure??

You've got Spicer looking like a complete idiot when he refuses to respond to questions about the "tapes".  And they want to NOT sound like Nixon?? And Trump tweets about secret tapes?? Holy fack.  How long before the Senate subpoenas thos "tapes" and we find out that Bannon et al immediately destroyed them after Trump's tweets?  Or only kept blackmail material and destroyed others?  This is Watergate times 1000.

It took two years for Nixon to get impeached after the Saturday Night Massacre.  Can we really go two years with this imbecile as President??  At some point, there HAS to be enough demand among both parties to demand Trump's resignation.  And then what?

How hot will it get before Trump starts a war with someone....he thinks it will turn the tide of public opinion.  It wont. 

46 minutes ago, JCon said:

I envision, on one of his first nights in the White House, Trump wandering around, poking through the storage rooms and stumbling across Nixon's old tape recorders.

"Hmm, this might come in handy. I think I'll take it."

And just imagine, they decide to secretly tape people in the White House, clearly for leverage given Trump's remarks and surely they all got together, cognizant of Nixon and said "but NO ONE CAN KNOW".  Then Trump ******* TWEETS it!

Comey Memo Says Trump Asked Him to End Flynn Investigation

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/16/us/politics/james-comey-trump-flynn-russia-investigation.html?referer=https://t.co/7nlT6gaY1G

WASHINGTON — President Trump asked the F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, to shut down the federal investigation into Mr. Trump’s former national security adviser, Michael T. Flynn, in an Oval Office meeting in February, according to a memo Mr. Comey wrote shortly after the meeting.

“I hope you can let this go,” the president told Mr. Comey, according to the memo.

The existence of Mr. Trump’s request is the clearest evidence that the president has tried to directly influence the Justice Department and F.B.I. investigation into links between Mr. Trump’s associates and Russia.

5 hours ago, johnzo said:

oh yeah, if gifs are your thing this is worth a look:

those are hilarious. except for the creepy one with his daughter.

we know the goof hates being laughed at.

Edited by Mark F

The radio silence from the White House is very interesting.   CNN speculated, perhaps staff listened to the "tapes" of the conversation with Comey and realized they were in deep crap.

If the memo is as reported and holds up, it's enough for impeachment.  If trump taped himself, he's toast.  Congress will eventually demand those tapes. If they are altered in any way some people are going to jail. 

Reportedly Comey has many other memos.

Question is, what side of history will the republicans want to be on?  The side that blocks impeachment and keeps trump? Or the side that does the right thing and gets rid of this clown. 

There would have to be 25 republicans willing to impeach. Or, come is terms next year....voters will decide the direction.  

So you're a Coast Guard Academy graduate. This is a massive achievement. (Seriously, USCGS people are badasses.)  You've worked your ass off and now is time for you to celebrate your legit massive accomplishment with your family and classmates and instructors...

and your commander-in-chief shows up and bellyaches about how rough his life is.  I guess it's not just the millennials who are easily-triggered snowflakes!

also wrt "no politician has been treated worse or more unfairly"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Benito_Mussolini

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

The last president has his loyalty questioned too. Someone even had the gall to hound him for his birth certificate to prove he was born in the US.

1 hour ago, johnzo said:

So you're a Coast Guard Academy graduate. This is a massive achievement. (Seriously, USCGS people are badasses.)  You've worked your ass off and now is time for you to celebrate your legit massive accomplishment with your family and classmates and instructors...

and your commander-in-chief shows up and bellyaches about how rough his life is.  I guess it's not just the millennials who are easily-triggered snowflakes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Benito_Mussolini

First it was the Kims and now you're a Mussolini sympathizer?  Who's next Pol Pot?

25 minutes ago, johnzo said:

Ah, Ryan -- the cold-eyed granny starver, the guy who's been dreaming of cutting Medicaid since he was a kegstanding fratboy.

To see him snared up in this would be a pleasure worthy of Xanadu.

Months ago I thought the Putin/Trump link was a bit silly. Looks like I was completely wrong. Going to be interesting to see how many of these creeps Putin entangled.

Very Nice to see a sign of some sanity returning to USA politics.

Wonder what stunt increasingly desperate Trump will pull next. saw that two candidates for FBI boss said no thanks.

Edited by Mark F