US Politics

Rich

Unbelievable that you can win a court case by saying your employee doesn’t meet the standards of the industry and nobody should believe him anyways.

Quote: “Fox News successfully argued that Tucker's reputation is so bad reasonable viewers know to be skeptical about his claims.”

Obviously, not taken into consideration, is the fact that most of Fox’s audience is not reasonable.

“We are psychologists, and we are convinced Donald Trump is a psychopath. His malignant behavior over the past four years is growing and escalating right before our eyes. Trump’s psychopathy will change us forever if he is not stopped.
This is not hyperbole. This is not an expression of "a left-wing agenda.” This is a mental health opinion based on thousands of hours of documented behavior by this president.
He breaks norms, rules, and laws with impunity.“

“They go on to list another dozen or so reasons where they base their opinion on...

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Unbelievable that you can win a court case by saying your employee doesn’t meet the standards of the industry and nobody should believe him anyways.

Quote: “Fox News successfully argued that Tucker's reputation is so bad reasonable viewers know to be skeptical about his claims.”

Obviously, not taken into consideration, is the fact that most of Fox’s audience is not reasonable.

A couple other cases come to mind:

• Ezra Levant unsuccessfully tried to avoid a libel suit by arguing that he was not a reporter, but a pundit and therefore was not subject to libel laws.  He had to pay $80,000.
  • Climate skeptic Tim Ball initially avoided a libel lawsuit because the article he wrote about Andrew Weaver was so full of errors and inaccuracies with such an "indifference to the truth" that the libels directed at Weaver should not have been taken seriously either.  Weaver has successfully won an appeal and an award is pending.

44 minutes ago, bustamente said:

Aaron nailed it.

This was one of the very reasons I thought it was completely stupid that the Anti-Centrist Democrats would throw away their vote like that... this is one of the MAJOR repercussions of their protest vote... ******* stupid then, ******* scary now. 

1 hour ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Aaron nailed it.

This was one of the very reasons I thought it was completely stupid that the Anti-Centrist Democrats would throw away their vote like that... this is one of the MAJOR repercussions of their protest vote... ******* stupid then, ******* scary now. 

Just a question... Why are you tied up all in knots over a SCJ like it's the end of the world when you live in Canada? We have our own problems as a country here to worry about. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Just a question... Why are you tied up all in knots over a SCJ like it's the end of the world when you live in Canada? We have our own problems as a country here to worry about. 

I guess it's the fact I don't feel that it's either one or the other- I can ***** about both problems, I don't feel that if I ***** about one, it nullifies my bitching about the other. 

Also, what happens in the USA... generally seeps into our great Country- in a much milder form I concede, but still seeps nonetheless.

It's kind of like when people say "Why are you donating to African famine relief? You have hungry people in your own country. Why don't you take care of them instead?"

1- You can do both.

2- If you can't help both; maybe help out the people that don't have a safety net.  Because one group's worst day is a whole lot worse than the other's.

3- Responsibility of privilege. If you are in a place of privilege, it is your responsibility to help those less fortunate. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

Some, but not all stuff creeps up here. Especially in the area of women's & LGBTQ rights. We are different from the US when it comes to this. Going off on a conservative judge in the US being appointed by Trump is mind boggling to me. I just see the tortured angst from some Canadians on social media the past couple of days & shake my head. I know posters on facebook that are losing their minds tonight. 

15 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Some, but not all stuff creeps up here. Especially in the area of women's & LGBTQ rights. We are different from the US when it comes to this. Going off on a conservative judge in the US being appointed by Trump is mind boggling to me. I just see the tortured angst from some Canadians on social media the past couple of days & shake my head. I know posters on facebook that are losing their minds tonight. 

Yeah, I don't understand why people are losing their **** over this- it was expected.  The Republicans have no morals, shame, or integrity, why were people disappointed that the lot of them comport themselves in a hypocritical, sanctimonious and generally people of low character manner, it's expected. 

You don't think trumpism isn't seeping into Canada? I mean, Jason Kenny is a poor man's trump and he is premier of  wild rose country.  He ran on a populist platform like trump did... and it worked. 

The expectation of norms in the USA also affects what is acceptable here in Canada. I mean, I find myself affected by it- I have given Trudeau far too many passes because my bar is set @ trump right now. "Trudeau-We scandal raises concerns over government granted contract"- I'm all... "Yeah sure, that doesn't look good, but is it really that bad... I mean trump installed a donor loyalist as Post Master General to break the USPS because he wanted to **** with mail in voting during a pandemic..." I should be a lot more concerned about the We scandal than I have been... 

What happens down south affects us a lot more than most think. 

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

5 hours ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

I guess it's the fact I don't feel that it's either one or the other- I can ***** about both problems, I don't feel that if I ***** about one, it nullifies my bitching about the other. 

Also, what happens in the USA... generally seeps into our great Country- in a much milder form I concede, but still seeps nonetheless.

And it’s the ignorance, and the racism. It’s not just the states of course, but that’s where we see it and witness it the most. There should always be a blowback to this kind of behaviour and we are affected by this in many ways if you really think about it. 
I usually don’t post political stuff, but what’s happening in the US goes way beyond politics in what we perceive to be a “democracy”. 
We have to comment on this because simply saying harrumph, we’re ok, we don’t live there, is simply not good enough. 
The world is speaking out and the credibility of the US is sinking to an all-time low and his enablers should have to pay a price. What that is, I don’t know. But if we Canadians can flip some of the smarter Americans to vote out Trump, then it’s worth it.
The stupid are beyond our reach.

12 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It's the 10% rule. What happens in USA eventually filters over into Canada.

I'm sure there were some people in France not too concerned about Germany either.