US Politics

Rich

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

There are two people in this thread.  One condemns both racist and sexist insults (me).  One defends the sexist insult leveled by Samantha Bee (you).  You can bring left and right into it all you want but the proof is right here for all to see.

There are many people in this thread...  What you're doing is exactly what Trump and the White House are doing - making an insult about Ivanka equal to a racist remark about an Obama aid.  They are not equal.  The "I think both are bad" is a deflection technique and its actually pretty deplorable.  To reiterate, no one, anywhere, has said Samantha Bee's comment was appropriate.  But to equate an insult to a racist slur is nothing more than an effort to diminish racism.  And it's wrong.

5 minutes ago, Atomic said:

You don't think women can be sexist towards other women?  What rock have you been living under?  It's called a gendered insult and it's incredibly offensive.

Sure they can.  Words have different meanings based on context.  Most people see the context here.  She wasn't using the C word because she's sexist.  I dont know Samantha Bee but from what I read, her being sexist would be absurd and laughable.  She used a vile insult.  She could have called her a B-word or a jerk or a prick.  She chose the most inflammatory version of that kind of insult.

I mean...this is obvious.  She used it.  She was wrong (because she undermined her own valid point).  She apologized (much more sincerely than Roseanne).  Her network apologized.  It wouldnt be much of a story if the White House had provided tacit approval to the racist remark by Roseanne but got pissy over Bee's remark.

6 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Some reading for you chauvenists.

https://www.xojane.com/issues/on-using-the-c-word

Mmm, that's some good confirmation bias.

And you may want to learn to spell a word properly before erroneously using it to attack others online. Asking a question does not a chauvinist/sexist make.

Who took a dump in your cereal this morning?

Edited by blue_gold_84

3 minutes ago, Atomic said:

Some reading for you chauvenists.

https://www.xojane.com/issues/on-using-the-c-word

Why do you always resort to name calling when people disagree with you?  Knock it off.

And your post is 1) not binding on anyone else to agree 2) yeah so?  No one claimed the C word wasn't vile.  You still dont want to condemn the White House for their hypocrisy though which is actually the larger point here.

The Bee remark is moot.  Its over and apologies have been made.  The greater issue is how the White House and Trump are cool with racism but not an insult.  Where were they when it was an Obama aid being victimized as opposed to a Trump aid?

2 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

There are many people in this thread...  What you're doing is exactly what Trump and the White House are doing - making an insult about Ivanka equal to a racist remark about an Obama aid.  They are not equal.  The "I think both are bad" is a deflection technique and its actually pretty deplorable.  To reiterate, no one, anywhere, has said Samantha Bee's comment was appropriate.  But to equate an insult to a racist slur is nothing more than an effort to diminish racism.  And it's wrong.

Sure they can.  Words have different meanings based on context.  Most people see the context here.  She wasn't using the C word because she's sexist.  I dont know Samantha Bee but from what I read, her being sexist would be absurd and laughable.  She used a vile insult.  She could have called her a B-word or a jerk or a prick.  She chose the most inflammatory version of that kind of insult.

I mean...this is obvious.  She used it.  She was wrong (because she undermined her own valid point).  She apologized (much more sincerely than Roseanne).  Her network apologized.  It wouldnt be much of a story if the White House had provided tacit approval to the racist remark by Roseanne but got pissy over Bee's remark.

Samantha Bee apologized.  The network apologized.  I've said it's awful.  But here you are defending her.  Speaks volumes about your character to be honest.  Sickening.

1 minute ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Mmm, that's some good confirmation bias.

And you may want to learn to spell a word properly before erroneously using it to attack others online. Asking a question does not a chauvinist/sexist make.

Who took a dump in your cereal this morning?

Typo.  If that's the best you got...

8 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Holy crapsicles... Chill out, man. I asked a sincere question and expected a thoughtful reply, not this defensive crap.

If, by your logic, c_nt is a gendered insult, would that make pr_ck one, too...? I mean, both words are considered extremely vulgar, so would a man calling another man a pr_ck be considered sexist?

In my personal experience, I've heard the C word used against men.  Its a nasty insult.  Its absolutely more often used against women.  But most people dont use it for sexism reasons, they just use it as an insult.  Its like using c-sucker, mostly used against men, but used against both and is actually a homophobic slur though most people dont use it with that intent.  Its just an insult.

The B word is inherently gender-based but its used against men all the time.

But the point of the side track debate was to avoid talking about US politics and the deplorable behavior of the White House when it comes to Roseanne's racist slur vs Bee's nasty insult.

I've just turfed a few posts that don't belong in this thread.  I'm not going to bother moving them.  If you wish to discuss the specific points, feel free to re-raise the topic in the Wrestling thread.

And as a general comment, some folks here need to step back and breath .. meditate .. switch to decaf .. maybe add a little bran to the ole diet .. there are things in life worth giving a **** about and winning a pissing contest on a message board isn't one of them.

Any issues here, feel free to PM me.

2 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Trump pardoning a guy convicted of the same thing Cohen might be....think thats a message?

Well, along with Sheriff Joe Arpaio and Trump, D’Souza was one of the main promoters of the conspiracy theory that Barack Obama was ineligible to serve as president because he was born outside the U.S.

In other words, Trump's kinda people....

Trump seems to be going off the rails. He's losing it.

trade war is on, then off, then on. in the space of a few weeks. 

Office of Trade and Manufacturing Policy Director Peter Navarro on Wednesday told FOX Business President Trump is reigniting the trade war with China to protect national security.

The Trump administration on Tuesday announced its plans to impose 25% tariff on $50 billion of Chinese imports. The statement came more than a week after Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin said that the trade war was being put “on hold.”

Edited by Mark F

Trump has turned the world against the US. This will not end well for him & the GOP. His trade secretary today actually laughed at Canada's announced trade sanctions against the US saying they are puny. But once you add up the Mexican, ourselves & the EU sanctions the US will be hurt badly. Trump did this to please his rust belt state base. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Trump has turned the world against the US.

You now hear heads of friendly states saying things that I've never heard, eg, the President of the EU said "with friends like this who needs enemies" a few weeks ago. 

One was crudely insulting someone that they believed was being complicit on a serious issue.

The other was crudely insulting someone on the color of their skin (I think because I don't know whether there is a back story between these two people).

Equal? Depends on perspective I guess.

Trump is hitting the E.U., Canada and Mexico with a 25 percent tariff on steel imports and a 10 percent tariff on aluminum sent to the United States starting Friday. While China is also subject to the tariffs, the E.U. and Canada send far more metal to the United States, so the penalties will have a much larger impact on them.

"We don't buy steel and aluminum from China. We buy it from our allies," said economist Chad Bown, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics.

Take a look at total U.S. steel and aluminum imports last year from various countries to understand who's affected most (data compiled by PIIE):
Canada: $12.4 billion
European Union: $7.7 billion
Mexico: $2.9 billion
China: $2.9 billion
Japan: $2 billion

So, Canada hammered the most by Trump.

I Hope this hammers the people who voted for him, and from what I've read.... it will. Job losses on Texas businesses involved in oil pipelines, who use Canadian steel.

How much damage will Trump do, before somebody with some sense, puts the brakes on him.

Edited by Mark F