US Politics

Rich

Just now, 17to85 said:

Trump isn't a racist, he's a narcissist, so the only thing that enters his mind is "is this good for me?" race doesn't even come into play at all. He just happens to be surrounded by the racist party. 

I think it comes into it insofar as he knows his base is largely racist and he plays to them.  The same can be said for Roseanne who, if you look at her history one would assume she isn't racist.  Tom Arnold, who knows them both, claims they are absolutely racist.  But he might have an agenda too.  We cant judge their hearts, just their words and actions.  And they're stinky.

Trump rescinded inviation so a more than half empty stage of players cant be used as a stunt to score political points at his expense. His instincts which have so far been shown to be correct is the anthem issue is a winner for him so he has turned the tables on the kneelers and their apologists by denying them the optics of the attempted boycott by some Eagle players.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I'd say Rosanne is probably just mentally unwell more than anything. 

That and the age old story of one woman mocking her female boss over her looks, in this case a facelift. If people think there arent internal social politics at play between women especially in a work environment, as one as high pressure and competitve as show business, yikes.

Republicans blocking stricter immigration doesnt make them noble in the face of Trump it reinforces the notion they are doing the bidding of the multi nationals in their never ending quest for cheap labour and sell outs to the Left's never ending quest for more voters via immigration and welfare entitlements.

The sort of corruption by corporate money both the left and right supposedly see as the root of all evil in politics

28 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Trump rescinded inviation so a more than half empty stage of players cant be used as a stunt to score political points at his expense. His instincts which have so far been shown to be correct is the anthem issue is a winner for him so he has turned the tables on the kneelers and their apologists by denying them the optics of the attempted boycott by some Eagle players.

or more accurately:

i-m-taking-my-ball-and-going-home.png

45 minutes ago, Zontar said:

lol Except none of the Eagles players knelt for the Anthem and of the remarks I've seen from players, they did not point specifically to Trump's divisive statements about the protests of some players.  Trump knew some players would not come.  He cancelled when it became so few that it would look silly.  He did it for his own optics, not to turn the tables or anything like that.

Who's apologizing for players that choose to kneel or stay in the locker room?

45 minutes ago, Zontar said:

That and the age old story of one woman mocking her female boss over her looks, in this case a facelift. If people think there arent internal social politics at play between women especially in a work environment, as one as high pressure and competitve as show business, yikes.

If you dont think Roseanne's remarks were racial and highly inappropriate, there is no reason to continue the discussion.  Racism should not be tolerated (here or anywhere else). 

The fact anyone could be so enamored with a politician that racism becomes acceptable is beyond me and beyond the common sense of most people.

26 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Republicans blocking stricter immigration doesnt make them noble in the face of Trump it reinforces the notion they are doing the bidding of the multi nationals in their never ending quest for cheap labour and sell outs to the Left's never ending quest for more voters via immigration and welfare entitlements.

The sort of corruption by corporate money both the left and right supposedly see as the root of all evil in politics

Children separated from parents is Trump.  Period. 

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If you dont think Roseanne's remarks were racial and highly inappropriate, there is no reason to continue the discussion.  Racism should not be tolerated (here or anywhere else). 

The fact anyone could be so enamored with a politician that racism becomes acceptable is beyond me and beyond the common sense of most people.

Dunno about the planet of the apes part but the muslim part may have been her jewish heritage coming through. Whether thats racism or a reaction to muslim anti semitism who knows.

Just now, Zontar said:

The players who planned not to attend.

So you've made the assumption that the players who opted not to attend did so because they disagreed with Trump's position on the anthem.

Firstly, attending is not a requirement and athletes have skipped it over the years.  You can't assume they all skipped it in past years as a protest against Trump in 2018.

Secondly, according to Torrey Smith (an Eagle at the time), "No one refused to go because of Trump's national anthem beliefs"

Thirdly, Trump rescinded the invitation of the Golden State Warriors too.  Was that over NFL players kneeling?

While Trump certainly rescinded the invite because of optics, it was not some brilliant political move to turn the tables of some imaginary boogeyman, it was because he knew how silly he'd look when less than ten players bothered to show up.  Either way, he looks foolish having to rescind the invitation.  I suspect he just wont bother in the future.

5 minutes ago, Zontar said:

Dunno about the planet of the apes part but the muslim part may have been her jewish heritage coming through. Whether thats racism or a reaction to muslim anti semitism who knows.

Roseanne has actually attacked Jewish people and spread nasty lies about them.  By the way, Valeri Jarrett is American so the Muslim Brotherhood attack didnt make much sense either other than Roseanne being an idiot and flying off the handle about things she clearly had no knowledge of and was too ignorant to fact check.

Also, you don't know if the "ape" remark was racist?  Like...you're really not sure?

6 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Roseanne has actually attacked Jewish people and spread nasty lies about them.  By the way, Valeri Jarrett is American so the Muslim Brotherhood attack didnt make much sense either other than Roseanne being an idiot and flying off the handle about things she clearly had no knowledge of and was too ignorant to fact check.

Also, you don't know if the "ape" remark was racist?  Like...you're really not sure?

I think the ape part was a shot at her facelift. And I thought she was of Iranian muslim extraction.

2 minutes ago, Zontar said:

I think the ape part was a shot at her facelift. And I thought she was of Iranian muslim extraction.

Roseanne has used "ape" to describe black people before so no, she knew exactly what she was doing.  And to your second point, nope, she's Black (she was born in Iran to American parents because her dad was a doctor who ran a hospital there as part of a program where American doctors helped developing countries).

13 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

So you've made the assumption that the players who opted not to attend did so because they disagreed with Trump's position on the anthem.

Firstly, attending is not a requirement and athletes have skipped it over the years.  You can't assume they all skipped it in past years as a protest against Trump in 2018.

Secondly, according to Torrey Smith (an Eagle at the time), "No one refused to go because of Trump's national anthem beliefs"

Thirdly, Trump rescinded the invitation of the Golden State Warriors too.  Was that over NFL players kneeling?

While Trump certainly rescinded the invite because of optics, it was not some brilliant political move to turn the tables of some imaginary boogeyman, it was because he knew how silly he'd look when less than ten players bothered to show up.  Either way, he looks foolish having to rescind the invitation.  I suspect he just wont bother in the future.

Did anyone actually say why they werent.? Seems like theyre catching on to the fact anthem issue isnt changing minds the way they thought so theyre tip toeing around it ?

1 hour ago, Zontar said:

The whole thing is a stunt for the President's political purpose. Always has been.

4 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Roseanne has used "ape" to describe black people before so no, she knew exactly what she was doing.  And to your second point, nope, she's Black (she was born in Iran to American parents because her dad was a doctor who ran a hospital there as part of a program where American doctors helped developing countries).

So ABC dropped the ball for ever hiring her in the first place?

Just now, Zontar said:

Did anyone actually say why they werent.? Seems like theyre catching on to the fact anthem issue isnt changing minds the way they thought so theyre tip toeing around it ?

So you're argument is, if the players dont specifically come out and deny that they dont want to go due to the anthem issue, then that MUST be why they arent going?  I just posted a quote from an Eagles player.  I dont know them, you dont know them.  We can only go by what we do know.  And even if that was THE reason, so what?  They arent obligated to go. 

Secondly, changing what minds?  That there is still a major racial divide in the US?  or that young unarmed black people being shot is a bad thing?  Kneeling is not unpatriotic. Its not a statement about the military.  And the playing of the anthem is not some 500 year long tradition before NFL games so the whole thing was blown up.  Trump co-opted the movement to appeal to his racist base.  Not the other way around.