Week 20 (@ Ottaway) Practices ETC

Noeller

5 minutes ago, J5V said:

Except that, as some of us have been saying, sometimes a backup comes in to a game, catches fire, and lights it up. If we go into this one thinking we're going to have an easy time of it we're ripe for getting beat, again.

I would hope that after the effort on Saturday that they would show some emotion and try to get back on track before the playoffs, so the QB on the other side should be irrelevant (to them).

As fans, we tend to get ahead of ourselves whenever a backup starts or comes in, but you never know what can happen especially with these young QB's. As Bomber fans we've seen Willy, Lulay and even Rocky freakin' Butler come in as unknowns and beat us so they shouldn't be feeling fat and sassy with a newb under center.

1 minute ago, Nash00 said:

I would hope that after the effort on Saturday that they would show some emotion and try to get back on track before the playoffs, so the QB on the other side should be irrelevant (to them).

As fans, we tend to get ahead of ourselves whenever a backup starts or comes in, but you never know what can happen especially with these young QB's. As Bomber fans we've seen Willy, Lulay and even Rocky freakin' Butler come in as unknowns and beat us so they shouldn't be feeling fat and sassy with a newb under center.

Exactly. I remember Michael Bishop slicing and dicing us once too. 2006 East semi, I think. 

20 minutes ago, J5V said:

Except that, as some of us have been saying, sometimes a backup comes in to a game, catches fire, and lights it up. If we go into this one thinking we're going to have an easy time of it we're ripe for getting beat, again.

If our offense is as bad as it was last week, it won't matter if Ottawa's back-ups score 10 points or 100.   After that piss poor showing, the Bombers better be coming out swinging, regardless of who's on the field across from them.

Bombers absolutely need a good showing. Players like Bass and Denmark ( and I haven't seen Wild's name mentioned ) who are injured should be left to heal up, we need them next week, not so much this week.

Last week's poor showing really hurt the home play-off game chances, basically eliminated them.

14 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Did we make playoffs in 2006? I know we played Bishop in the East Final 2007......

Maybe I'm wrong but I definitely remember him coming into a game and throwing a couple of late TDs to beat us. Pissed me off royally!

7 minutes ago, J5V said:

Maybe I'm wrong but I definitely remember him coming into a game and throwing a couple of late TDs to beat us. Pissed me off royally!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Winnipeg_Blue_Bombers_season

You are right -- looks like we had a lead in the 4th, and then got out-scored 17-7 in the 4th to lose it. Ugh...

7 minutes ago, Mark F said:

The Bombers aren't going to the Grey Cup this year.

The team is just not good enough at this point.

Need some offence over and above field goals to win the Grey Cup.

I dunno, I still think Ottawa can be beat, and we've schooled hamilton this year.  As for calgary, I'm not a big fan of Playoff Mitchell. Sure he won the 2014 GC but that was imo more hamilton blew it on that Taylor Reed penalty costing Banks that return TD. He's been a great reg season QB but leaves something to be desired in november

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

56 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Why aren't they good enough? The only team that's been consistent the whole way through has been Calgary and honestly after sitting on their asses for as long as they're going to have been and the 1 point game in Calgary earlier I want a crack at them. Edmonton and BC has been as up and down as Winnipeg and the less said about the east the better. This team can definitely make a Grey Cup appearance. Will they? I dunno but they're as good as any not Calgary team in the league this year. 

1 hour ago, Mark F said:

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Why aren't they good enough? The only team that's been consistent the whole way through has been Calgary and honestly after sitting on their asses for as long as they're going to have been and the 1 point game in Calgary earlier I want a crack at them. Edmonton and BC has been as up and down as Winnipeg and the less said about the east the better. This team can definitely make a Grey Cup appearance. Will they? I dunno but they're as good as any not Calgary team in the league this year. 

One of you is being pragmatic and one of you is being hopeful. Neither one of you is wrong. :unsure:

34 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This team reminds me a lot of 1999.  Getting there, but not quite there yet.  A few more pieces though and look out.

Strange stuff happens every week in pro sports. Yes, the Bombers could roll right through into the Grey Cup and squeak past (probably) the Stamps, but the football gods would all have to line up on our side and the whole Bomber side would have to play the game of their lives. Should that improbably happen, it would be the stuff of legends for decades to come.

4 minutes ago, tracker said:

Strange stuff happens every week in pro sports. Yes, the Bombers could roll right through into the Grey Cup and squeak past (probably) the Stamps, but the football gods would all have to line up on our side and the whole Bomber side would have to play the game of their lives. Should that improbably happen, it would be the stuff of legends for decades to come.

We've had the bounces and calls go our way almost all season, at least since Nichols was made the starter.  Last game was the first time that I saw the football gods finally decide enough was enough, be it the botched third down hand off, the botched trick triple reverse, or the botched punt snap to Briggs.  In other games, we've seemed to always have those plays go our way, the drive is extended, and points go on the board.  Or Nichols throws an INT, and boom, O'Shea challenges it and the INT is reversed.  Not last game.  Perhaps the luck has finally run out?

Edited by kelownabomberfan

2 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

2006 ESF was the one where we had two dbs collide with each other which lead to a big Argo td.

Anthony Malbrough and Kelly Malveaux.

I had very high hopes we were going to make it to the Grey Cup that year. And then Bishop comes in and completely crushes my dreams.

3 hours ago, Mark F said:

Our defence would need to stand on it's head but unfortunately they rely too much on forcing turnovers than actually shutting you down. The offence is pop-gun at best with Nichols and Plap, very reminiscent of the 2011 Buck and Plap show that fizzled in the big game.

29 minutes ago, pigseye said:

Our defence would need to stand on it's head but unfortunately they rely too much on forcing turnovers than actually shutting you down. The offence is pop-gun at best with Nichols and Plap, very reminiscent of the 2011 Buck and Plap show that fizzled in the big game.

I've often as well compared this year's team to that grey cup team of 2011. Records are fairly similar, defense has been our backbone all year, great running game but I do really think our offense this year is much better and deeper than then. I think Plap calls a better game than Jamie baressi did.

9 hours ago, Nolby said:

I've often as well compared this year's team to that grey cup team of 2011. Records are fairly similar, defense has been our backbone all year, great running game but I do really think our offense this year is much better and deeper than then. I think Plap calls a better game than Jamie baressi did.

I actually think this team is more like the 2007 team... this year's offense is much better than 2011, despite the most recent showing...

Also, although Baressi was the OC, pretty sure LaPo was calling the plays in 2011...

21 hours ago, J5V said:

This football game is not one you can play well while coasting. I believe that was last week's problem. Eastern Team, just finished beating BC at BC, feeling pretty good, lets just coast a bit. Boom! Beaten up by an old man with a bad attitude.