Darvin adams getting healthy, who comes out?

wbbfan

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Time for the Bombers to fish or cut bait with Neufeld and his salary, if he can't protect at least as well as Couture he'll be gone in the off-season to accommodate the #1 O-lineman in the 2017 draft.  I think Neufeld still has some trade value so they should be able to get something for him in return, maybe a 3rd or 4th round draft pick.

I disagree that now is the time to cut him... I'm not sure if that's what you're suggesting... I would say this off-season is the time to move on...

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

Really surprised they'd go with Neufeld over Couture...

I would like to see Couture in the starting line-up and Neufeld as the sixth... but it sounds like we'll get it the other way if Chungh can't go...

Not to sound like an ass but I have to believe our collective knowledge of offensive line play, technique and so forth pales in comparison to Wylie, Lapo and Oshea.  why do we continue to assume they are idiots and we know better lol. If they think paddy is better now then couture, I'm inclined to believe them..

10 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

Yup. Couture has no business starting and Keeping isn't a serviceable guard either.

neufeld was serviceable previously as a starter. This year he was as bad as an OL gets. Between the two, couture has been healthy all year, doesnt have injury concerns and is in 100% game shape. He is a small guard though.

Keeping was a starting center, if you can play center you can play guard its the easiest of the OL positions. Generally any one can slide in side and play guard. Kicking out and playing tackle where foot work on pass rushes, and the speed you line up against is a huge hurtle to over come. Guard you square off to a man. (in man schemes) At tackle you have to keep angle, not open your hips early etc. At center you may or may not have a tackle lined up over your nose, but your responsible for blitz pick up, setting the line, switches on twists and stunts, getting to the second level on running plays / zone plays when no one is on the nose, and when some one is on the nose you have to snap to the gun/pistol then be hit or hit some one. 

Couture needs work. And to get a bit stronger in the off season. But atleast with him, we have the ability to develop him into a high caliber starting NI OL. what are the chances we get that out of neufeld? If we see the best of how he played this year nichols/harris is in big trouble. We have 2 games to go and have clinched the play offs. Id be  willing to give the young guy a chance to play, and either way if the OL becomes a turnstile again we can throw glenn to the dogs. 

1 minute ago, SPuDS said:

Not to sound like an ass but I have to believe our collective knowledge of offensive line play, technique and so forth pales in comparison to Wylie, Lapo and Oshea.  why do we continue to assume they are idiots and we know better lol. If they think paddy is better now then couture, I'm inclined to believe them..

I could see why youd say that. im a big fan of wylie. BUT remember the OL of the first 1/3rd of the season with neufeld while bond/hardrick sat on the PR/in active. Then remember some of the goofy roster decisions weve made, not starting the best pieces at each position. Then ricky collins too. Remember starting the season with macho harris as our saftey? We havent made strong personnel decisions to date. 

6 minutes ago, SPuDS said:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/2f/87/90/2f879087ae90f9d8ed98118896f00072.jpg

We asses are offended and have been right about a number of personnel decisions!

Makes sense from a pure productivity standpoint to put Adams in for Gurley.  With Gurley you're hoping that he just needs a couple games to get going and that he'll start making a big impact. With Adams you're looking at a guy who put up 500+ yards before he went out and looked to be one of our most dangerous receivers.  There is a huge immediate benefit to that switch. I don't think any other change would guarantee as much benefit.

11 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

neufeld was serviceable previously as a starter. This year he was as bad as an OL gets. Between the two, couture has been healthy all year, doesnt have injury concerns and is in 100% game shape. He is a small guard though.

Keeping was a starting center, if you can play center you can play guard its the easiest of the OL positions. Generally any one can slide in side and play guard. Kicking out and playing tackle where foot work on pass rushes, and the speed you line up against is a huge hurtle to over come. Guard you square off to a man. (in man schemes) At tackle you have to keep angle, not open your hips early etc. At center you may or may not have a tackle lined up over your nose, but your responsible for blitz pick up, setting the line, switches on twists and stunts, getting to the second level on running plays / zone plays when no one is on the nose, and when some one is on the nose you have to snap to the gun/pistol then be hit or hit some one. 

Couture needs work. And to get a bit stronger in the off season. But atleast with him, we have the ability to develop him into a high caliber starting NI OL. what are the chances we get that out of neufeld? If we see the best of how he played this year nichols/harris is in big trouble. We have 2 games to go and have clinched the play offs. Id be  willing to give the young guy a chance to play, and either way if the OL becomes a turnstile again we can throw glenn to the dogs. 

I could see why youd say that. im a big fan of wylie. BUT remember the OL of the first 1/3rd of the season with neufeld while bond/hardrick sat on the PR/in active. Then remember some of the goofy roster decisions weve made, not starting the best pieces at each position. Then ricky collins too. Remember starting the season with macho harris as our saftey? We havent made strong personnel decisions to date. 

Problem I see is that Couture is relatively small playing beside a relatively small Center.  They won't be running many QB sneaks in that direction and that is a dead giveaway as to where the ball is going.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Problem I see is that Couture is relatively small playing beside a relatively small Center.  They won't be running many QB sneaks in that direction and that is a dead giveaway as to where the ball is going.

On short yardage the size of that side shouldnt be that impactful. With the yard off the line its more about explosion / quick first step then raw size. Besides he tucks behind bond much of the time any way. The about or just under 20 pound difference between couture and chung sucks to lose at guard no doubt. Putting in a guy who was a turnstile before being hurt, now hasnt played or been practicing for 2/3 or so of the season seems worse. We have such strong NI depth on D, if we want to keep nichols in Id love to see us start the extra NI again and go with an extra imp on the OL. If we are going to be protective of nichols then going with either is a decent band aid. either way we should be using play action, and roll outs a plenty and nichols should keep his head on a swivel. And if he starts getting rocked like willy did toss in glenn we dont have that much to win out of the last two games.

If it was the play offs right now, id go with 4 imp on the OL. doesnt matter who youve got for WRs or what system you run or whose your RB when defenders are in the back field. 

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

On short yardage the size of that side shouldnt be that impactful. With the yard off the line its more about explosion / quick first step then raw size. Besides he tucks behind bond much of the time any way. The about or just under 20 pound difference between couture and chung sucks to lose at guard no doubt. Putting in a guy who was a turnstile before being hurt, now hasnt played or been practicing for 2/3 or so of the season seems worse. We have such strong NI depth on D, if we want to keep nichols in Id love to see us start the extra NI again and go with an extra imp on the OL. If we are going to be protective of nichols then going with either is a decent band aid. either way we should be using play action, and roll outs a plenty and nichols should keep his head on a swivel. And if he starts getting rocked like willy did toss in glenn we dont have that much to win out of the last two games.

If it was the play offs right now, id go with 4 imp on the OL. doesnt matter who youve got for WRs or what system you run or whose your RB when defenders are in the back field. 

Which Natl. would you insert on the D?