Harris/Flanders

Taynted_Fayth

I think some of you are misinterpreting my original post. Yes I did say have Flanders at RB and move Harris to a receiver spot in place of JFG or Kohlert, but It wasn't meant as in Flanders replacing Harris outright on the roster.  Harris for sure needs to play but I also think Flanders has shown a lot of value as well and the thought process is initially on the 2 RB threat they would provide (even if one is listed as a receiver) at any given time.  Harris has shown he's got good hands and can run the short routes typically our NI receivers do so that's where you don't lose anything for ratio or production hence why i suggested he get slotted there.

IF Harris needs to be the official RB then fine let him and slot Flanders in one of those 2 NI spots we played this past week, either way I believe the reward and upgrade to having both Harris and Flanders out there would be pretty significant

Edited by Taynted_Fayth

If we can replace one of the DI on D with a Nat'l that will surely enable us to DI Flanders on offense.

The most obvious position to start is on the LB corps since we are DI'ing 2 there with Burnett and Knox. 

If Bass, Wild and Burnett are all healthy, I think it's good enough of as depth for Int'l LB on gameday.

Wild can move to MLB in case Bass is injured  and Burnett can move up in Wild's injury. 

But we need a Nat'l LB that can be a very good ST'er and can fill up a starter's roll in case of injury. 

Looks like Hurl has fall off on the LB depth chart for some reason. I'm not sure where's Wagonner on his development.

Briggs is obviously MOS favorite. Gauthier was regarded as a very good ST player on draft day. 

10 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Maybe, i have a hard time seeing it though. He would start on probably 3 other teams in the cfl right now maybe 4. If we dont make it work with 2 backs I think hes gonna be gone before long one way or a another. 

Flanders has looked good the last few games, unfortunately I think its just a case of odd-man out once Harris is healthy. Using Harris as the Canadian WR would be an interesting one-of or "gadget-play" formation, but re-tooling the entire offense around it wouldn't really work.

You're right though, Flanders is definitely on the radar for some teams now though...

1 hour ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I think some of you are misinterpreting my original post. Yes I did say have Flanders at RB and move Harris to a receiver spot in place of JFG or Kohlert, but It wasn't meant as in Flanders replacing Harris outright on the roster.  Harris for sure needs to play but I also think Flanders has shown a lot of value as well and the thought process is initially on the 2 RB threat they would provide (even if one is listed as a receiver) at any given time.  Harris has shown he's got good hands and can run the short routes typically our NI receivers do so that's where you don't lose anything for ratio or production hence why i suggested he get slotted there.

IF Harris needs to be the official RB then fine let him and slot Flanders in one of those 2 NI spots we played this past week, either way I believe the reward and upgrade to having both Harris and Flanders out there would be pretty significant

We all understood and we still don't agree with you.

4 hours ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

You can label guys whatever you want.  You don't have to start 5 receivers and 1 RB or any combination for that matter.  If they wanted to start two guys as tailbacks they wouldn't have to call one a receiver.

if i'm the coach here's how i put the roster... to put both Harris & Flanders on 

QB: Nicholls, Glenn, Davis
OL: Bryant, Bond, Goossen, Chungh, Hardrick, Couture
RB: Harris, Flanders, Normand, Tuck
REC: Dressler, Denmark, Mayo, McDuffie, Kohlert, Feoli-Gudino

DL: Westerman, Shologan, Cummings, Cole, Corney, Thomas, Tennant
LB: Wild, Bass, Leggett, Burnett, Waggonner, Briggs, Hurl, Knox, Gauthier
DB: Randle, Fogg, Loffler, Heath, Frederick, Jones, Sherman

ST: Medlock, Rempel

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

if i'm the coach here's how i put the roster... to put both Harris & Flanders on 

Though I kinda like the Harris/Flanders combo...(seeB.C. and their alternating backs) I don't like that receiving corps line-up...Something about it doesn't impress the heck out of me ( although they are all fairly competent)...It just doesn't seem like that is a recipe for going very far in the play-offs  (if we get there)and sure as hell isn't scaring the opposition...We needed to add a BIG playmaker at receiver and it just isn't there.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎26 at 10:55 PM, wbbfan said:

idk about his contract status, but we cant keep him on the 2man IR forever, and i for one never expect players who are healthy and hot to willingly sit on the IR long term waiting for a chance. especially if its a guy that would be gone quickly after hitting the PR.

Except for that whole "contract" thing that the CFL has.

1 hour ago, Stickem said:

Though I kinda like the Harris/Flanders combo...(seeB.C. and their alternating backs) I don't like that receiving corps line-up...Something about it doesn't impress the heck out of me ( although they are all fairly competent)...It just doesn't seem like that is a recipe for going very far in the play-offs  (if we get there)and sure as hell isn't scaring the opposition...We needed to add a BIG playmaker at receiver and it just isn't there.

The backup RB is not there for the offense only. Hes also there for ST. Iirc, Flanders played some ST early in the season.

Still early but I believe Lochard was hurt last game so they might be forced to put Flanders as backup if Harris start or vice versa if Harris is not 100% yet.

From what I saw Flanders is not only lining up on the RB spot. I saw him lineup on wideout a couple of times.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

The backup RB is not there for the offense only. Hes also there for ST. Iirc, Flanders played some ST early in the season.

Still early but I believe Lochard was hurt last game so they might be forced to put Flanders as backup if Harris start or vice versa if Harris is not 100% yet.

From what I saw Flanders is not only lining up on the RB spot. I saw him lineup on wideout a couple of times.

I agree it's great to get the blocking out of our RB's....BUT we have two damn good backs here...Cold weather coming and keeping one fresh to spell each other off could really keep the opposition on their toes...Run the heck out of the ball, I say....Like I said B.C. is doing it with Allen and Jerimiah Johnson...Seems to be working...why not give it a shot...Of course all of this is contingent on Harris being healthy and ready to go.

Edited by Stickem

6 hours ago, JCon said:

Except for that whole "contract" thing that the CFL has.

contracts actually protect players who are healthy from being placed on the IR. We cant keep hiding him on the 2 game because we have too many game time decision injuries too frequently. He hits the PR, hes gonna be claimed by another team that day. 

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

we don't use one running back enough to justify putting a 2nd one on the roster. Sad but true. Our receivers are hurting and a bunch of smurfs and we still try and win with a heavy passing game. Should just let the big old boys on the OL tee off and run the crap out of the ball. 

On top of the fact I love this play style, it is very suited for games later in the year on when the weather worsens and old man winter knocks...

19 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

On top of the fact I love this play style, it is very suited for games later in the year on when the weather worsens and old man winter knocks...

if we're going to go two and out anyway might as well pound the crap out of a defense. But Lapo's gonna Lapo

10 hours ago, 17to85 said:

we don't use one running back enough to justify putting a 2nd one on the roster. Sad but true. Our receivers are hurting and a bunch of smurfs and we still try and win with a heavy passing game. Should just let the big old boys on the OL tee off and run the crap out of the ball. 

We dont, but thats a symptom of the greater offensive problem. Awful calls and design. +1 pound the ball. run 25-30 times a game minimum with both backs and watch our TOP soar. 

All signs point to Andrew Harris being Winnipeg's starting running back on Saturday against his former team, but the Bombers will also have Timothy Flanders in the fold. The team's regular backup tailback, Pascal Lochard, was injured in last week's loss to the Eskimos, so Flanders has to dress as insurance and will also return kickoffs.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2016/10/06/oshea-puts-winning-ahead-of-locker-room

Nice!

Edited by M.O.A.B.

On 10/3/2016 at 7:22 AM, M.O.A.B. said:

Isnt that 1 too many DI for 7 ni starters? Iirc dont we get the 4th if we start an 8th ni? Other wise id say thats pretty much it.  Knox imop would be the extra DI to come off. 

Of course gurley would go in for mayo, and smith for mcduffie. Assuming mcduffie is still hurt. If he or adams gets healthy Id put smith on the 2man or ir and give the other two a chance and shake up smith a bit. 

we really didnt adjust well when bc started playing the run tough in the 2nd quarter. But we saw sine if the smith package with flanders at slot tight, and mixed both rbs pretty well. Kept both guys fresh too.

20 carries, 85 yards, 1 td. plus 5 catches for 50 yards between the two backs.