2017 CFL Draft

Mike

7 hours ago, Mike said:

http://www.cfl.ca/2016/09/15/senior-headlines-central-scouting-bureau-september-rankings/

Glad these are finally out.

From what I've heard, it's a pretty weak draft year. Pretty telling that there's a TE in the top 10 prospects.

Good to see a Manitoba boy in the top 20 though, especially an OL - there is definitely a shortage of them this year though.

With more & more teams going away from 4 starting Canadian OL that may explain why there's a shortage in the Top 20. Rankings will change though as we know.

6 minutes ago, Taynted_Fayth said:

I was looking up CFL draft for dummies on the CFL site and its rather lacking. It gives insight in the first round and how the pecking order is comprised,but can someone tell me how 2nd round...3rd round..etc runs?  is it like 1st pick in round 1 moves to 9th in round 2? 2nd in round 1 moves to first in round 2?

No the draft keeps the same order throughout.  First pick in the first round gets the first pick in the second round, and so forth.

30 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Think I heard the conditional 7 th for Nichols is now a 5th.

So, indirectly, this 5th round draft pick somehow allows us to pick up another so called backup QB, a highly regarded DB in TJ Heath and a 1st round pick in '17, a 3rd pick in2018, with a side cost of a 4th round pick in 2017.

Oh, and Jade Etienne.

That's quite the remarkable inventory upgrade.

8 hours ago, MTA said:

Rashaun Simonise at 7 and not being the number 1 WR on the board is a joke. 

He's probably being knocked for being academically ineligible.  Scouts don't like that.   At least he's continuing to play football in the CJFL for the Sun.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/ex-cis--ex-nfl--current-cjfl-wr-rashaun-simonise-stands-out-on-prospect-list-211426077.html

7 hours ago, Point of attack said:

The irony of a weak draft is ,theoretically at least , there will be less interest from NFL teams making more borderline picks likely to attend CFL camps.

I would add that maybe we've been a little spoiled by the quality in recent drafts and  this group will look a whole lot better after the months leading up to the draft.

So long as the draft is just slightly weaker, and not green-and-white bad.

33 minutes ago, Jaxon said:

He's probably being knocked for being academically ineligible.  Scouts don't like that.   At least he's continuing to play football in the CJFL for the Sun.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/cfl-55-yard-line/ex-cis--ex-nfl--current-cjfl-wr-rashaun-simonise-stands-out-on-prospect-list-211426077.html

He's here in Kelowna all right.

14 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Walters better not draft another Mulamba. Also nice to see the first 7 picks not OL for a change. With most teams going to 2 & 3 Intl OL their value may have dropped & players at other positions may have risen.

With possibly 2 picks in the top 7, id be ok if it was all OL. 

42 minutes ago, JCon said:

I think they'll be happy given the Grey Cup they won.

I guess iso's point is that Glenn was worth a fourth round pick, and Willy worth a first, a third and a starting international... and the Esks basically gave Nichols away, who is arguably a better QB than both those other guys.  They did win the Grey Cup but that doesn't do anything for them this year or into the future... a better return on Nichols may have helped and put them in a position where they aren't fighting for the last playoff spot.

On 9/15/2016 at 10:13 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

He's here in Kelowna all right.

I guess Simonise isn't a difference maker.   The Sun got hammered 58-2 by the Hilltops on Saturday.   The Rifles trounced the Huskers 35-0 as well in the first pair of regular season cross-over games.   Once again, in the CJFL, the prairie teams prove that they are at a higher level than the BC teams.   Prior to the game, the CJFL had the Sun ranked higher than the Hilltops in their power rankings.   

http://www.cjfl.org/news_article/show/698224?referrer_id=1265597

I would suggest that the next power rankings put all PFC teams ahead of all of the BC teams.