Potential defensive dynasty

peggars

12 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

It wasn't that long ago that we wanted to run Hall out of town.  Did he make changes or is it just the team coming together and getting better as a unit?

His defense works.... only if the dline generates pressure.

I think the turnaround is due to Nichols.  For whatever reason, Willy had/has a very difficult time reading defense, and Lapo's offence doesn't suit Willy's play style.

When Nichols took over, the offence immediately clicked.   That sent a message to the defense: "The offence will move the ball, so let's get it back to them".    That probably sparked the brain child in Richie Hall to say "Hey we can be more aggressive". 

Benching Willy provided the chain reaction of sparks that this team desperately needed.  Benching your highest paid player,  sends a very clear message to the rest of the team.  We're seeing it paying off. 

Just my .02

Another 2 cents is that the changes on the ol allowed the run game to be more of a threat and take pressure off the qbs and that coupled with the wake up call got the O in gear. The D was improving before they sat Willy because Hall has shown in his time here that he is willing to tweak things a bit when they aren't working. Said it before, there is more than one factor at work here 

Lot of things:

Big uptick in import recruitment in general, this year

Nichols protects the ball, while we gobble up an unreal amount of turnovers...real hard to lose games when you are winning that stat at a 6 to .75 ratio. 

Getting a good pass rush with just 4 or sometimes 3.  (the basis of success) RH has been running a few more pressure packages. RH has also utilized the range of our LB's to really help out in his zone coverages.

Having a CDN running back and a CDN starter at S.....has given us much more roster flexibility.

.... like replacing Neufeld (lousy run blocker) with Bond (massive road grader) 

We also have managed to plug in actual competent imports in the other OL spot.  Already drafted CDN's Goosen and Chung are settling in.  Any OL plays better when they can run the ball and be aggressive.  Knowing they have a RB who will fight for every inch, is a motivator, as well.

We have a automatic FG kicker.  Always get the points, when we penatrate enemy territory.

Players are finally playing for MOS....instead of just talking about it.

On ‎2016‎-‎08‎-‎28 at 10:10 AM, Jesse said:

Also, check out the OL.

Everyone along the line - other than Stanley Bryant - is 26 or younger. If you take out Hardrick, who isn't starting right now, they're all 25 or younger. Assuming we don't make any coaching changes going into next season - they are going to have a lot of time to row together. 

OL is what worries me the most. We NEED to get Chungh extended. If we can't it's huge trouble.

As always, it's a combination of things. Nichols is playing better than Willy was and isn't turning the ball over. The O line changes have resulted in better protection and are opening holes for Harris which in turn forces the defenses to deal with our running game. All that has moved our offense up the rankings. There still not good, but they're getting there.

13 minutes ago, gcn11 said:

OL is what worries me the most. We NEED to get Chungh extended. If we can't it's huge trouble.

It would be a huge blow to what we are trying to build if we can't retain him. I don't have high hopes he'll resign without checking out what's available to him first.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

It would be a huge blow to what we are trying to build if we can't retain him. I don't have high hopes he'll resign without checking out what's available to him first.

whoah let me enjoy some happy for a bit. We have the off season for all the free agent stuff. 

4 hours ago, Jesse said:

Hopefully winning games is a deterrent to free agency but I would guess that BC/Calgary have an edge in signing him if he opts for free agency.

1 hour ago, Nash00 said:

Hopefully winning games is a deterrent to free agency but I would guess that BC/Calgary have an edge in signing him if he opts for free agency.

I'm not as concerned with losing him to another team as I am with him wasting half the season hanging out at an NFL camp.

i think finally being competitive and getting playoff games helps the free agency situation as well from a cash perspective.  Winning the cup gets you an extra $23,000 between grey cup game, division final and semi final.  Thats a good bonus and a significant portion of salary for all positions aside from QB.  Even making it to the division final gets you an extra $7000.  Plus extra per diem, which equals close to another grand for playoff games and the week at the grey cup host city. It all adds up and potential free agents who feel we can get there may opt to stay.   

A nice little bonus, aside from winning a championship of course.