Why do people seem to be so unhappy with Orridge?

Mike

23 minutes ago, peggars said:

http://3downnation.com/2016/05/03/an-exclusive-look-at-canadian-football-17/

sounds like the right people are working on the game.

Im very excited but very cautious til I see it.  Too much excitement over saving money to make me very comfortable it will be awesome.  They mention it will play more like NCAA Football than Madden.  I dont play either, can anyone explain if playing like NCAA Football is good?

I always figured a deal with EA would make sense as they could use the Madden platform and just alter it for the CFL rather then building a game from scratch.  The argument will always be there isnt a large enough market.  I guess we shall see.

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

I read somewhere that the EA Game isn't happening... somebody in the CFL said it's not gonna happen. Someone big, Dennis Skulsky or something like that might be the guy? I'm not sure but I heard strong rumors that the whole making of the CFL video game isn't true at this time. 

Dennis Skulsky was the guy who said the game IS happening within the past month. Orridge has confirmed they're working on it too.

It's further along than you'd suspect ... Jordan Yantz has been part of a team of CIS players working with EA Sports to do the motion capture work.

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Dennis Skulsky was the guy who said the game IS happening within the past month. Orridge has confirmed they're working on it too.

It's further along than you'd suspect ... Jordan Yantz has been part of a team of CIS players working with EA Sports to do the motion capture work.

That's freakin fantastic!!!!

6 minutes ago, Mike said:

Any news on the timeframe for completion? Could we expect it to come out next year?

7 minutes ago, Mike said:

This suggests that report was false? http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/30/12333058/canadian-football-league-madden-ea-sports-rumor

No offense to Dave Winter (who I know, as a one man show, worked very hard on it), but Maximum Football wasn't that good. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the new game...

I'm pretty happy with Orridge.  It's a tough job and definitely there are easier challenges to take on out there.  I don't know what to blame regarding the Lions attendance going in the toilet, other than there just is no pride in the team like you see in smaller centers.  And there are too many other distractions, whereas in Regina, Winnipeg, Edmonton the football game would be the biggest thing going on.  I've always been critical of the lack of support of the Lions in BC., but I guess its just because the apathy about the team I see here so often is so foreign to me.  I would guess the same is true in Toronto too.  Another big issue with Vancouver is that its now become "cool" to be a Seahawks fan, so that's what everyone is doing now instead of going to Lions games.  We need the Seahawks to go in the toilet for a few years and the bandwagon jumpers will be back. 

1 minute ago, kelownabomberfan said:

I'm pretty happy with Orridge.  It's a tough job and definitely there are easier challenges to take on out there.  I don't know what to blame regarding the Lions attendance going in the toilet, other than there just is no pride in the team like you see in smaller centers.  And there are too many other distractions, whereas in Regina, Winnipeg, Edmonton the football game would be the biggest thing going on.  I've always been critical of the lack of support of the Lions in BC., but I guess its just because the apathy about the team I see here so often is so foreign to me.  I would guess the same is true in Toronto too.  Another big issue with Vancouver is that its now become "cool" to be a Seahawks fan, so that's what everyone is doing now instead of going to Lions games.  We need the Seahawks to go in the toilet for a few years and the bandwagon jumpers will be back. 

I would rather watch paint dry than cheer for the Seahawks. I'm all for them going in the toilet and all of the 12's can go with them.

I hated Cohon.  I think he did a lot of media which is important, but he built a persona to mask the fact that he actually didn't accomplish very much.

I don't need to see the commissioner on TV or radio every 5 seconds, rather have a guy who can get something done and play politics.

I still believe there is a looming disaster in Montreal and potentially Toronto.  You have teams that are basically worthless and depending on a rich guy to not care about taking a loss to keep them operating, playing on facilities they don't control.  Not good.

I'm ambivalent towards Orridge, I guess.  I like the good stuff he's done - much of it overdue - and don't like that there's some stuff he hasn't done right.

Mike does a good job of listing the stuff I liked that he's done, so I won't rehash that.

I would like to see him have a greater presence at games, being seen in attendance, etc.  I would also like to see him more directly address the rule changes and the laughable degree to which plays can be challenged; perhaps I only mean I hope he'll do whatever he can, as I'm not even sure to what extent that's in his job description.

I don't care about the Riders' woes.  Not one whit.  I'd like to see an increased presence in Toronto and BC, but that's not something one person can just do.

1 minute ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

I still believe there is a looming disaster in Montreal and potentially Toronto.  You have teams that are basically worthless and depending on a rich guy to not care about taking a loss to keep them operating, playing on facilities they don't control.  Not good.

Toronto is different because the owners also benefit from the stadium and having butts in seats. It's not like the old days at Sky Dome, where the owners saw the Argos as an inconvenience. Plus, the Argos are not as limited for picking game days.

The fans will come back. They'll go to BMO. They need time.

Cohon helped get Ottawa back. He helped get the CFL their TV deal. I'm not sure how I feel about Cohon but he did get some things accomplished.

He also didn't panic when the NFL 'experiment' came to Canada.

4 minutes ago, wpgchris said:

I would like to see him have a greater presence at games, being seen in attendance, etc.  I would also like to see him more directly address the rule changes and the laughable degree to which plays can be challenged; perhaps I only mean I hope he'll do whatever he can, as I'm not even sure to what extent that's in his job description.

I don't want Orridge messing with the on-field product. I DO want him to put the right people in place to help facilitate improvement with the on-filed product.

I kinda shrug because I don't think anybody really knows what the Commish job entails and what it doesn't. I think they take blame and credit for things they didn't do, and maybe miss out on credit/blame for things they did do....so who knows.

That said, I couldn't stand Cohon with his super cheery, almost Joker-esque grin on his face everywhere he turned. He just came across as the most fake person I've ever met, and I can't STAND fake people...

7 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I kinda shrug because I don't think anybody really knows what the Commish job entails and what it doesn't. I think they take blame and credit for things they didn't do, and maybe miss out on credit/blame for things they did do....so who knows.

That said, I couldn't stand Cohon with his super cheery, almost Joker-esque grin on his face everywhere he turned. He just came across as the most fake person I've ever met, and I can't STAND fake people...

I met Cohon and his kids at the Banjo Bowl and spoke to him. He came across as professional, polished and easy to talk to. He did good work and was well paid as the best commissioner we've had in a while.

20 minutes ago, Noeller said:

You ever meet Larry Smith?  Smith makes Cohon look like Ron Swanson.

(I met Smith a couple times when I was in in Ottawa.  He was super weird and manic and had this creepy grin that he would not turn off. Gotta have some sympathy for the man, though, being the commish of the CFL in the nineties would cause anyone severe emotional damage.  I wonder how Larry's doing nowadays.)

The league moved forward while Cohon was in charge, we got a nice bump in TV revenues and a bunch of new stadiums, we returned to Ottawa. The Cohon era was the most stable the CFL has been in my 30 years as a fan.  So I liked his tenure. But I agree with Noeller -- commissioners are like pitchers and goaltenders and presidents, they get too much credit or too much blame.

And I don't want the commish to be the face of the league and I don't think they need to be out there pumping tires all the time. I want guys like S.J. Green and Ian Wild and BLM to be the faces of the league.  No one ever went to a CFL game because they liked the commissioner. The only time I wanna see the commish is when a big public decision needs to be made -- I want him to pop up, make the decision, then go back to quietly running things.  Orridge has been pretty good in that regard, settling the Ottawa-Edmonton coaching thing quickly and suspending Duron Carter within a day or two of his misbehavior.

(and yes, the Carter appeals process is endless, and that's not Orridge's fault, that's the CFL CBA's fault, and Cohon was the guy in charge when that was negotiated anyway.)

Edited by johnzo

48 minutes ago, Super Duper Negatron said:

This suggests that report was false? http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/30/12333058/canadian-football-league-madden-ea-sports-rumor

No offense to Dave Winter (who I know, as a one man show, worked very hard on it), but Maximum Football wasn't that good. I wouldn't hold out too much hope for the new game...

I can't read that link right now, so I don't know what it says but whatever it says, it probably can't dispute that Yantz has posted pictures on social media of him being at EA Sports HQ doing motion capture work. There's one he posted with the entire crew of guys doing the work and they're all CIS guys.

2 hours ago, Nash00 said:

No PS4 release? Blech.

To be fair the game designed by Canuck studios is not by the league, and isn't available through Sony because Sony hasn't given the go ahead.

The video game from the CFL itself hasn't provided any other information other than they are looking to get it done

18 minutes ago, holoman said:

To be fair the game designed by Canuck studios is not by the league, and isn't available through Sony because Sony hasn't given the go ahead.

The video game from the CFL itself hasn't provided any other information other than they are looking to get it done

Yeah I know, I just don't want to have to buy an XBOX just to play a CFL game. I would hope that once it's rolled out it would be on both XBOX and PS4.

Riders arent getting fluffed by league and TSN anymore so you just know somebody is going to take the backlash. Still the most insecure fanbase in the league.

CFL fans are complainers, always have been, for good reasons and not. Two years ago it was lowing scoring games.

And when your team is down the complaining becomes more acute. Simple as that.

29 minutes ago, Zontar said:

And when your team is down the complaining becomes more acute. Simple as that.

It seems like there are fewer beefs with the officiating here on MBB, now that the Bombers are upwardly trended.

I think the league really has to do something about bullshit desperation challenges on late game-deciding plays, but those are offseason changes, you can't change the rules right now.  Will be interesting to see what happens this offseason.

Edited by johnzo