New QB Communications Rule

Floyd

Really interesting article... http://calgaryherald.com/sports/football/cfl/calgary-stampeders/change-to-coach-to-qb-radio-communication-could-be-helping-cfl-offences-this-season

No more 10 second blackout, OC can talk to the QB during the play...

Penton asked about this today and OShea said its not something the bombers are interested in...  maybe they should be.

Any type of delay in Willy's decision making process (he's slow as it is) could lead to confusion and hinder his reads...I think it would be a disaster with this qb., and if mix-ups like we seen with him and Darvin Adams were concerning last game....wait, it could be disaster in the making.

Given last game and the few times I saw Davis or Adams running wide open down the field, I think a heads up in Willy's ear certainly couldn't have hurt.

I don't like the idea of the communication being on during plays, but in a tight game, a receiver is wide open.... Maybe yelling 'Davis!' in his ear wouldn't be the worst thing.

2 hours ago, tracker said:

If Willy's thought processes are as slow as they seem to be, O'Shea or LaPolice bellowing in his ear during the play might send him right into the feeble position.

Our offense has certainly been feeble, thus far, but I think you may have meant 'fetal position'?  :lol:

Edited by BomberBall

3 hours ago, BomberBall said:

Our offense has certainly been feeble, thus far, but I think you may have meant 'fetal position'?  :lol:

It was a deliberate faux pas and an attempt at humour. Sort of like old-timers disease.

Edited by tracker

I don't think anyones suggesting 'talking through the play' or yelling in someone's ear... that's why Osh just wrote the whole idea off. 

I think if your OC is up in the booth, I don't see how calling in a word or two of help would hurt

That and if your QB is aimlessly running around for 8 seconds as time runs out and you can't kick a field goal... you could be screaming spike the ball into his earpiece.

6 minutes ago, Floyd said:

I don't think anyones suggesting 'talking through the play' or yelling in someone's ear... that's why Osh just wrote the whole idea off. 

I think if your OC is up in the booth, I don't see how calling in a word or two of help would hurt

That and if your QB is aimlessly running around for 8 seconds as time runs out and you can't kick a field goal... you could be screaming spike the ball into his earpiece.

But that might be cathartic for the coaches.

39 minutes ago, Floyd said:

How do you know he just wrote it off? Did you ever think it might have been Lapo's decision since he's the one who communicates with the QB?

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

How do you know he just wrote it off? Did you ever think it might have been Lapo's decision since he's the one who communicates with the QB?

Oh you got me.  Yes, you're absolutely right, it could have been Lapo's decision.

I should have written 'they' instead of simply referring to the head coach as though he made the final decisions on this team.  Why didn't I just write they...

anigif_enhanced-buzz-9368-1383584991-26.

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

thats about the only other way to use it. Your not likely at all to get through. If you watch fighters corners yell and see how seldom fighters are able to take any of it in its the same thing. Its a white noise effect. Few people hear or take in much in those kinds of circumstances. Thats also assuming our oc/spotters can see it right away and re act with some thing comprehensible quick enough to leave time for the qb to look and throw it that way. 

personally i dont think willy has the cerebral nature to make use of any in play advice. Especially the half rattled knock around guy he seems when things arent going well. 

Pretty interesting to look at the communication advancement in football over the years.

Many moons ago QB's called their own plays.

Went through a transition when coaches signaled the plays in from the sidelines.

QB's started wearing the wrist chart to help call plays.

QB wears a receiver in his helmet, coach sends in play.

Coach can now talk to the QB before and during the play.

The latest advancements probably won't have much impact on the current crop of pro QB's but if they start using the ear-phones at the High School and College levels the next generation of QB's might become more reliant on the technology and less capable of reading defences themselves.  Kind of like spell-check in that way. 

1 hour ago, wbbfan said:

thats about the only other way to use it. Your not likely at all to get through. If you watch fighters corners yell and see how seldom fighters are able to take any of it in its the same thing. Its a white noise effect. Few people hear or take in much in those kinds of circumstances. Thats also assuming our oc/spotters can see it right away and re act with some thing comprehensible quick enough to leave time for the qb to look and throw it that way. 

personally i dont think willy has the cerebral nature to make use of any in play advice. Especially the half rattled knock around guy he seems when things arent going well. 

Could be... but yelling from the corner is different from a voice right in your ear.  

I think the real advantage would be in identifying tendencies during the game... like if a DB is trying to jump routes or if identifying a blitz - easier to see this stuff upstairs

7 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Could be... but yelling from the corner is different from a voice right in your ear.  

I think the real advantage would be in identifying tendencies during the game... like if a DB is trying to jump routes or if identifying a blitz - easier to see this stuff upstairs

youd be amazed how many athletes struggle with maintaining focus during the game even between plays. That kind of thing we should be spotting and relaying between plays and sets though DBs dont usually just jump routes like mad they try to set it up. Also on DBs, and OL and LBs thats why they point to switches and stuff they see to get people to look its far more effective to make some one see it then to have their brain try and recognize the words and take the action. 

44 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Pretty interesting to look at the communication advancement in football over the years.

Many moons ago QB's called their own plays.

Went through a transition when coaches signaled the plays in from the sidelines.

QB's started wearing the wrist chart to help call plays.

QB wears a receiver in his helmet, coach sends in play.

Coach can now talk to the QB before and during the play.

The latest advancements probably won't have much impact on the current crop of pro QB's but if they start using the ear-phones at the High School and College levels the next generation of QB's might become more reliant on the technology and less capable of reading defences themselves.  Kind of like spell-check in that way. 

Dave Dickenson was discussing this very thing last week. He wasn't aware that the mic stays on during the play until the first game as he wasn't told. He said things won't change as far as he's concerned as he doesn't want to be yelling into BLM's ear as the play goes on. Dickenson said if he confuses his qb  by telling him where to throw then he'll stop trusting his eyes, won't make the proper reads & start holding onto the ball too long.

22 minutes ago, iso_55 said:

Dave Dickenson was discussing this very thing last week. He wasn't aware that the mic stays on during the play until the first game as he wasn't told. He said things won't change as far as he's concerned as he doesn't want to be yelling into BLM's ear as the play goes on. Dickenson said if he confuses his qb  by telling him where to throw then he'll stop trusting his eyes, won't make the proper reads & start holding onto the ball too long.

But they did talk about how they sometimes let BLM know about a blitz or coverage after huddle breaks...