In Case You Missed It

Mr Dee

57 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

If by "throws around" you means uses them to pick Canadians in the draft, then yes you are correct that he does it more than Taman.

Yup... that and backup quarterbacks... and mediocre OL

A lot like Taman... except Walters seems to like trading Cdn starters for picks 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

He has had a rough go of it this season entirely. Interior of the OL is getting it handed to them regularly. 

Agreed I thought Goosen struggled the first 2 however was better the past 2 and Chungh while not great had a very rough outing vs EDM I think that 

Sewell was too much for him he was getting pushed around, I know that Chungh has put on 10 or so pounds this year and I think its hurt him rather
than helped him. 

18 minutes ago, BBFan said:

Agreed not much reason to defend Walters however I would say lets give Walters a second Kick at HC like Mack had before we decide.

BBF, does it not bother you that O'Shea was retained after two seasons of futility, plus his inability to assemble a scouting team to bring in standout players?

Just now, tracker said:

BBF, does it not bother you that O'Shea was retained after two seasons of futility, plus his inability to assemble a scouting team to bring in standout players?

It does bother me however I just think that generally speaking GMs get to fire at least one HC before they are canned. I like Walters generally speaking because he have been aggressive at picking up free agents, I didn't like his 2015 draft at all in 2016 I thought he did a much better job.

As for not firing O'Shea I personally had enough of O'Shea him however I believe that Walters gave him the 3rd year because Willy was injured for most of 2015 however its looking like a mistake. I also think nothing will happen even if the loses continue to mount until the attendance starts to drop off dramatically. As much as I have been critical of O'Shea more than Walters I am starting to think that Wade Miller is as much to blame as anyone he promised us improvement and I haven't seen any of it I am not sure what Miller contributes to the Team at this point ? At this point you could fire them all and I think we might be better off assuming that they pick the next Pres that knows how to hire an experience GM ( Like Hervey ) who can then hire an experience and qualified HC and then and only then will we start to see some improvement...

1 hour ago, BBFan said:

It does bother me however I just think that generally speaking GMs get to fire at least one HC before they are canned. I like Walters generally speaking because he have been aggressive at picking up free agents, I didn't like his 2015 draft at all in 2016 I thought he did a much better job.

As for not firing O'Shea I personally had enough of O'Shea him however I believe that Walters gave him the 3rd year because Willy was injured for most of 2015 however its looking like a mistake. I also think nothing will happen even if the loses continue to mount until the attendance starts to drop off dramatically. As much as I have been critical of O'Shea more than Walters I am starting to think that Wade Miller is as much to blame as anyone he promised us improvement and I haven't seen any of it I am not sure what Miller contributes to the Team at this point ? At this point you could fire them all and I think we might be better off assuming that they pick the next Pres that knows how to hire an experience GM ( Like Hervey ) who can then hire an experience and qualified HC and then and only then will we start to see some improvement...

I championed the hiring of Walters but was very leery of his hire of O'Shea but willing to give O'Shea a shot. When O'Shea's management of the team the second season (including his defence of Bellefeuille) was no better than his first, he lost me. Right now I am about 50-50 on Walters and every game or loss (pretty much the same thing) where we see the same mismanagement , Walters drops in my confidence.

2 hours ago, BBFan said:

If the GM fails to fire a coach when everyone else knows he should be gone, should the GM still get that second hire? That means that he would get another two years to let the next coach prove himself. That's five years and nothing could improve because the GM was a big part of the problem.

5 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

You miss my point. Walters supporters cite his work on the NI side. Chung is his best pick and he's a solid OL who may become an all star. Really his only hit. Gossen is starting but not playing well. Waggoner is a STer. Richards has done nothing. Morgan is a ster. Briggs Ster. His best NI's have come via free agency, Westerman, Harris and Shologan.

Oh and Lemar Durant over Richards, Waud over Morgan and not a first for Waggoner so we keep the #2 and land Gagnon or another top OL prospect from this year.

Looking at the 2014 draft again,  I'd say only Calgary did better than us.

Imo it's still too early to give a final grade on either 2015 or 2016. Having said that, 2016 was a consensus top 3 draft in early reviews. 2015 is the only one that's concerning to me. Passing on Durant was probably a mistake.  I read on Riderfans that Waud was telling teams he'd only play in TO, so he might not be the mistake people think he was. I have no idea if that's true or not though. 

5 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

Imo it's still too early to give a final grade on either 2015 or 2016. Having said that, 2016 was a consensus top 3 draft in early reviews. 2015 is the only one that's concerning to me. Passing on Durant was probably a mistake.  I read on Riderfans that Waud was telling teams he'd only play in TO, so he might not be the mistake people think he was. I have no idea if that's true or not though. 

I Believe we picked Richards over Waud and picked Morgan over Durant either way I would take Waud over Richards and Durant over Morgan.

So at least 2 mistakes in the 2015 with the Morgan over Durant a real head scratcher ???

14 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

2014 draft was nothing to write home about. Goossen who was a no brainer but still not all that great honestly(but the right pick), Briggs solid ST player but nothing special and Jones who I really like BUT we also picked him over Thomas Miles who was right under our nose.

Just now, Blueandgold said:

2014 draft was nothing to write home about. Goossen who was a no brainer but still not all that great honestly(but the right pick), Briggs solid ST player but nothing special and Jones who I really like BUT we also picked him over Thomas Miles who was right under our nose.

Walters doesn't seem to like local players he almost tries to avoid taking them and when he does like this year there was no point he could have just invited the Rec from Manitoba no one was going to draft him...

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Ottawa ended up with Jon Gott and Antoine Pruneau

Edmonton ended up with Otha Foster and Mike Reilly

Those two teams used picks to change the face of their team...  would like to see the bombers make a splash like that.

I remember all kinds of posters here back before the 2014 season mocking Mike Reilly & there were lots of people here saying they were happy he was traded to Edmonton because he was a crappy qb & that we didn't need him. The same posters were sticking up for Joe Mack.

The same who stuck up for Mack were the same pumping Kyle Walters tires a few months later just before & after he was hired. And that MOS was this young "Can't Miss" coach so he's a great hire. Didn't matter about his lack of coaching experience. And hey, we have a Canadian GM, Canadian Head Coach, a bunch of CIS assistants all with no pro experience & that was great too.

When hired, our GM could call the Notre Dame or New York Giants coaching offices & they would have no idea who he is but that was okay too. A GM doesn't need connections in the US, they said. If anyone disagreed on any of these subjects those same people attacked the ones who said differently vehemently. So, now I read them trying to make a case for Drew Willy, Mike OShea & Walters as the Good Ship Blue Bomber is springing more leaks daily & the boat starts sinking. They really don't have a lot to say anymore in their defense as the losses mount.

Sadly, all it did was just create deep divisions on this forum. The people who like Walters & MOS & the people who don't. Since the 2 haven't won & the team just keeps losing, the divisions have gotten deeper & larger as time goes on. It really is unfortunate as this is not a happy place anymore. Lots of denial, anger & angst. Too bad, really. This is a great site. It would be nice if those divisions heal one day.

Edited by iso_55

5 hours ago, iso_55 said:

I remember all kinds of posters here back before the 2014 season mocking Mike Reilly & there were lots of people here saying they were happy he was traded to Edmonton because he was a crappy qb & that we didn't need him. The same posters were sticking up for Joe Mack.

The same who stuck up for Mack were the same pumping Kyle Walters tires a few months later just before & after he was hired. And that MOS was this young "Can't Miss" coach so he's a great hire. Didn't matter about his lack of coaching experience. And hey, we have a Canadian GM, Canadian Head Coach, a bunch of CIS assistants all with no pro experience & that was great too.

When hired, our GM could call the Notre Dame or New York Giants coaching offices & they would have no idea who he is but that was okay too. A GM doesn't need connections in the US, they said. If anyone disagreed on any of these subjects those same people attacked the ones who said differently vehemently. So, now I read them trying to make a case for Drew Willy, Mike OShea & Walters as the Good Ship Blue Bomber is springing more leaks daily & the boat starts sinking. They really don't have a lot to say anymore in their defense as the losses mount.

Sadly, all it did was just create deep divisions on this forum. The people who like Walters & MOS & the people who don't. Since the 2 haven't won & the team just keeps losing, the divisions have gotten deeper & larger as time goes on. It really is unfortunate as this is not a happy place anymore. Lots of denial, anger & angst. Too bad, really. This is a great site. It would be nice if those divisions heal one day.

A post that is essentially gloating is going to do nothing to change any "division" on the forum.  Congratulations you were right Iso, the Bombers are a steaming pile of crap.  Is that what this post is trying dig up from "certain posters"?

The "division" is how people view the team and how people choose to be a fan and support the team.  Why do some people not post any longer?  Well because the Bombers suck and there is very little hope right now.  For those people, they'd rather say nothing then come here and read about and post bashing the team.  Not everyone wants to come in here and talk about how much the team sucks in every thread.  

When there is a new regime, they will (hopefully) support it and hope that this is the group to turn around the franchise.  That is how they enjoy the team.  Also,  if everyone saw everything the same way, this place would get pretty boring.  The point of a discussion board is for people of different points of view to discuss and debate.

If you want to gloat for being right, then gloat, but all that does is make people not like you and makes the so called division worse.  Don't wrap it up in this lets be friends and make amends BS.  Especially when you stretch the truth to fit your agenda. 

I don't remember anyone saying Reilly was crappy and we didn't need him.  It was more of Reilly isn't completely proven yet and there are other options out there, especially when we didn't get him, and weren't going to get him, so people move on.  I also think you  mis-interpret hope and optimism for calling O'Shea "can't miss".  He was a rookie coach, no one thought he was can't miss.  But there was hope he would be good coach.  So people went with that because they are fans and love the Bombers and want to believe ( or at least wanted to) they will do well.

Well said Rich.

I remember it more like you do. We hoped for Reilly. Nobody mocked him. We were pissed at the circumstances surrounding his going to Edmonton.

We had hope for O'Shea, because, well, he was this icon..who knew football.

And Walters? Same thing. He only had minor experience, but we again, wre hopeful. He was ours. 

There is only division if things are taken too seriously and take oneself too seriously.

No, things are not working out and people are mad. And they have a right to be. Losing isn't fun. But still, we are Bomber fans and there's always the next game. Right?

12 hours ago, iso_55 said:

Our drafts have been no better under Walters than Mack. There's a reason why our Canadian talent isn't up to the level of other CFL teams.

It's almost like Walters was the top NI scout when Mack was here.... imagine that.