Preseason 2 - Ottawa

Jpan85

54 minutes ago, IC Khari said:

What happened to Drew Willy ;)

I'm not going to lay some hate on Drew Willy and yes it's pre season but he will never be a winner if he doesn't learn to get rid of the ball quicker. Plus he needs to put a little more zip on the ball.   

I'm seeing no progression in his game at all and he has no one else but himself to blame if we lead the league in sacks against.  

27 minutes ago, Goalie said:

Willy was 11 of 15 tho. He wasn't great but he obviously didn't get much help from the other guys on the field 

Yeah considering the pressure he faced and how much he got hit he didnt do poorly. Not that many people will look at it like that. A lot of short to medium routes. And not a lot of runs in the first half. 4 in the first half for harris, 6 in the 3rd quarter for flanders. Made things a lot easier for nichols. 

5 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Yeah considering the pressure he faced and how much he got hit he didnt do poorly. Not that many people will look at it like that. A lot of short to medium routes. And not a lot of runs in the first half. 4 in the first half for harris, 6 in the 3rd quarter for flanders. Made things a lot easier for nichols. 

The reason he was hit so much is his inability to get rid of the ball.    Lets not blame the O-line.

2 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

The reason he was hit so much is his inability to get rid of the ball.    Lets not blame the O-line.

he was 11/15 with no pics he got rid of the ball fine. He could release quicker but he simply did not have the time. 

12 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

I'm not going to lay some hate on Drew Willy and yes it's pre season but he will never be a winner if he doesn't learn to get rid of the ball quicker. Plus he needs to put a little more zip on the ball.   

I'm seeing no progression in his game at all and he has no one else but himself to blame if we lead the league in sacks against.  

was it also willys fault harris had a 1.4 yard average on runs and was great catching the ball out of the back field?

Just now, B-F-F-C said:

87 yards over 2 and a bit quarters is not good enough.   

If he gets rid of the ball faster, you dont get longer passes. The yardage was similar for nichols and in the first game for both. The offense is  super bland mostly outs short of the first down marker. It also has to do with an almost entirely new WR core that still isnt healthy and 3/4 of the pass catchers tnite were rookies. 

Drew willy has never proven anything other than to get lucky his first five games here by coming from behind. Willy should be the first cut and spend that money on finding a real qb or quit letting the trevor harris's and collaras's sign with other teams.

5 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Not on  Willy at all. That OL went from world beaters last week to 2015 redux this week. He didn't go deep cause he didn't have time for the  okay to develop. He was under seige before anyone could get open in a deep route. 

If burris was our qb he woulda picked apart that defense with short crossing routes. It was willy he is awful.

Willy aside, I think anderson might have played him self out of a job. Even a PR spot. He looked miserable on his returns while flanders kept on rollin. Im not sure you use a DI spot on flanders but you certainly dont get rid of him. A couple of the rookie wrs have left a pretty hard decision. The DE spot is gonna be a tough choice too. Coaching staff have their work cut out for them. 

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

If burris was our qb he woulda picked apart that defense with short crossing routes. It was willy he is awful.

How pray tell do you throw a crossing route when not a single one is in any of the plays for either game? Hank would have tossed a ton of picks given the pressure willy faced. Not sure if this is a troll or just out of touch. Hellen keller would have had a better under standing of what happened out there.

14 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Willy aside, I think anderson might have played him self out of a job. Even a PR spot. He looked miserable on his returns while flanders kept on rollin. Im not sure you use a DI spot on flanders but you certainly dont get rid of him. A couple of the rookie wrs have left a pretty hard decision. The DE spot is gonna be a tough choice too. Coaching staff have their work cut out for them. 

They kept two RB's on the active roster last year, so I don't see why they couldn't keep Flanders around as a change of pace back for Harris this year.  Wally made that move 3-4 years ago when he acquired Stefan Logan and it worked out well.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

if the play calling is done properly then Willy should have enough time to either throw deep or medium routes OR dump off an outlet or screen to Harris. Didn't see a screen called all night or for that matter during either game. Again I realize it is vanilla time however it is strange that both Montreal and Ottawa were in the same boat, actually this was Ottawa's first game, and yet they could move the ball at will. I think we have to take the rose coloured glasses off and look at what we saw, ineptitude, a lack of execution and poor play calling and a not very good defense. In the first game our subs outplayed Montreal's hence the victory. Today not so much we were basically even after they took Burris out of the game. Willy doesn't appear to read defenses well and as a result holds onto the ball far too long. Is this a result of poor play design or poor route running or simply poor recognition. How is it that Nichol move the ball much better than Willy in this game and the other two could do better than either Willy or Nichol on Friday. Finally it was apparent that when Willy was throwing the ball it seemed that the receivers were all standing still to receive the ball. Does this mean he cannot throw a timing pass aka Cavillo or Ray? In most sports the best pass is to the "open area or open ice"; a timing pass. I haven't seen one with the Bombers forever. I take that back Tom Clements could do it to perfection. A lost art? Who know. All I know is this offense, if what Nichol said in the post game comment is true (they were using 60-70% of the new offense and that it wasn't a new offense merely some plays taken from other teams that seemed to work for them), then we are in big trouble. I always thought you developed your offense around the talents of your players, something like putting a round peg in a round hole not trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Oh well I hope I am wrong but the first 5 games will tell the tale.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

They kept two RB's on the active roster last year, so I don't see why they couldn't keep Flanders around as a change of pace back for Harris this year.  Wally made that move 3-4 years ago when he acquired Stefan Logan and it worked out very well.

We did, but we also had a more cemented KR and didnt have a proven starter at RB. If we choose to try and hide castillo, or keep 2 of the IMP des and rotate at one spot it wont be easy to also keep both rbs. That would leave us with what 4 rbs? We need the extra spots atleast for WR while its still hotly contested, DE, possibly for the OL for bond etc. 

8 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

We did, but we also had a more cemented KR and didnt have a proven starter at RB. If we choose to try and hide castillo, or keep 2 of the IMP des and rotate at one spot it wont be easy to also keep both rbs. That would leave us with what 4 rbs? We need the extra spots atleast for WR while its still hotly contested, DE, possibly for the OL for bond etc. 

How do you come up with 4 RB's?  Cut Castillo and Anderson, stash Billy P. on the PR.  If Medlock gets injured they can always find a discarded booter lying in the gutter.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

Well, panic sets in early for some.  Pre-season.  Say it with me now  "Pre-season!"  If they're looking like this after four or five games, then we'll have something to fret about.

Oh and we're not even into the regular season but we already have a real battle going for dumbest post of the year between "Kicker gets paid too much" and "Willy should be cut first".  People are going to have to work hard to top those two.

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

How do you come up with 4 RB's?  Cut Castillo and Anderson, stash Billy P. on the PR.  If Medlock gets injured they can always find an old booter lying in the gutter.

lochard, we need a nuck to back up so thats 2. Our long snapper is also a RB and then flanders. Im not at all against a change of pace back. Im not sure flanders really is a change of pace but he certainly would give us another wrinkle on the offense. One we might sorely need. But I wouldnt carry him at the cost of another position like DE,WR, OL etc with a player that would be far more important to our success. Maybe they set it up so it works out we keep him on the active roster and dont lose out. Thatd be great. I do think that if we hold out a week maybe two we can force value for castillo from ottawa or hammy.