Lions cut Elliot

northof60

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/09/04/elliott-cut-lions-looking-for-new-qb/

"Elliott never got on the field during the regular season with the Lions, but Buono said his coaching staff told him there was insufficient progress in his development."

and in two related stories, scientists have determined that oxygen is necessary to sustain life, and Germans have been discovered living in Germany.

or option 2 - let's develop a QB who actually has talent and hope of being a starter in this league.

He's still shown more than any qb we have on the roster currently. 

shown more propensity to throw INT's in the red zone, and not listen to the coaches.  In any event, these "what if" discussions just go in circles (see Reilly, Mike) so let's just agree to disagree here.  I liked Elliott too, but realized that he was just another "flash in the pan" QB like so many we've had in the past, to be mentioned now only in the same breath as Troy Kopp or Jay Walker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWKK70Rbn28

Here's the Elliott I remember - hitting that bomb to Watson at the 2:20 mark.  That team at the end of 2010 sure had a lot of potential, Garrett and TJH at the top of their games, and before Elliott was slowed down by the knee injury, he could still do roll-outs and hit long bombs. 

I'm amused by how Goltz is praised for losing every game he has started despite bristling with mediocrity, excused for throwing interceptions, yet Elliot, who's actually WON games for the Bombers (throwing >400yds in the process), has 2 POTW awards and had a higher qb rating than ANY of our current qbs is nfg. His 'propensity to throw INT's in the red zone' is inexperience, forcing the ball, same thing as Goltz. That comes with more experience and coaching.

Elliot obviously has an issue with attitude or whatever. But there is no disputing that he is a more productive quarterback at this point. Give the guy a football, a qb coach that will keep him on track, and I still think he's better than anything we have now.

Elliot obviously has an issue with attitude or whatever. But there is no disputing that he is a more productive quarterback at this point. Give the guy a football, a qb coach that will keep him on track, and I still think he's better than anything we have now.

I think there is disputing it.  But it's irrelevant, as it's not going to happen anyway.

or option 2 - let's develop a QB who actually has talent and hope of being a starter in this league.

He's still shown more than any qb we have on the roster currently. 

shown more propensity to throw INT's in the red zone, and not listen to the coaches.  In any event, these "what if" discussions just go in circles (see Reilly, Mike) so let's just agree to disagree here.  I liked Elliott too, but realized that he was just another "flash in the pan" QB like so many we've had in the past, to be mentioned now only in the same breath as Troy Kopp or Jay Walker.

Hall and Goltz and PIerce are all throwing INTs as well, difference is that Elliott was able to win games with these same players and put up a couple POW calibre games. All those improved stats from the offense last season came with Elliott in there primarily... This isn't about saying Elliott is the greatest thing since Khari, but I would have a hell of a lot more faith in the teams ability to win if he was in there because he showed he could do it already. 

I now have to trust what BC has done as the final say in the Elliott logs.

But...Elliott won games for us and was exciting. Oh well...

I looked back at 2012.  Elliott won 2 games for us.  2 games.  One over Hamilton and one over Montreal.  Buck won 2 games (Hamilton/Toronto), Goltz won the last home game against Montreal and Brink won that fluky game over Edmonton.  I honestly think the legend of Elliott as this "game winner" for us has been largely over-blown.  And in terms of excitement, that excitement he provided in the LDC and the away game against Calgary last year had me bent over a toilet puking, and it wasn't because of how drunk I was (though that helped).

You don't want Sask's 3rd string castoff and the rest of us don't want BC's 3rd string castoff.

I want the guy who led the offense to improvements last season and won some games. In case you haven't noticed the offense has been abysmal this season and we haven't won games. 

You don't want Sask's 3rd string castoff and the rest of us don't want BC's 3rd string castoff.

I want the guy who led the offense to improvements last season and won some games. In case you haven't noticed the offense has been abysmal this season and we haven't won games. 

With Elliott here from the start of the season, I maybe see us having one more win right now.  Our problems are far more deep rooted that a change from one mediocre QB to another won't fix much.

Hee hee - what short memories we all have.  The offense was abysmal last season too.  By your logic we should be starting Buck right now, because he won as many games as Elliott and would have had similar offensive outputs if he had been able to play in that home game where we shredded the Ti-Cats D and Elliott won player of the week.  We could have started Kenny Ploen in that game at QB with Dieter Brock backing him up and won that game.