Moose Head Coach

Rich

Perhaps he wants to stay in Manitoba. Perhaps the Leafs offer was different than the Jets one. Maybe the Leafs wanted him to give up ownership of the WheatKings, maybe the Jets don't. Lots of possibilities here. Do I think it's McCrimmon? Probably not. Would it shock me if it was? Not really. 

I'll go with a few guesses tho... McCrimmon is one, i don't think it will be him, i just think the timing makes me wonder if maybe it is. 

Mike Yeo is another guess. Former Minny head coach. The other one, Pascal Vincent, I hope it's not, i think that would be a bit of a letdown. 

I would just like to see a quality coach who has potential to move up the ranks. I think this organization, while doing a lot the "right" way, could still use some fresh blood and a new set of eyes.

I remember when Maurice is hired, one thing he said that always stuck out to me was something to the effect of... "this is a good group/organization....headed in the right direction...whether it's me or someone else, we'll get to where we want to".  Completely paraphrasing there - but the bolded I really remember, and thought, what an interesting comment on the day you're hired.

The Jets, and TNSE, are always looking to the future - so I expect / hope this move reflects that.

It is a good move for a few reasons....it brings some new blood into the coaching ranks and the Moose will play the system the Jets want them to play. If Chevy doesn't trade away the farm, and I can't see him doing that, the Moose will be stacked with young talent this year.

Because he refused to play the Jets way, the Moose did not play the same systems the Jets played, Actually a few games I went too, the Moose coach sat out some of the Jets prospects in favor of non Jets prospects. The Moose are the developmental team of the Jets and if you have a coach who refuses to accept that, it doesn't work. 

McCambridge was an OK coach but... the fact is he refused to play the system the Jets wanted him to play. He played players on PTO's over guys the Jets had drafted. a guy like Nic Petan was playing 3rd line minutes for most the Moose year, he wasn't playing 20 minutes a night most nights. It basically comes down to this and it's about as simple as i can put it... there was a huge difference between the Jets and McCambridge in terms of what they want the Moose to be. You can figure out most things for yourself, I mentioned the more obvious ones. Just a huge difference of opinion in terms of what the Moose should be. Moose need to be the Jets developmental squad and to an extent, McCambridge was playing more and more of the so called Veterans over the kids. Guys like MacWilliam and Albert got more minutes than guys like Morrissey and Petan. That's a problem, especially when "IT ALL STARTS HERE". 

Maybe there was a difference in how they expected the AHL team to operate in St John's versus here.  I know Chipman explained there was a difference between the Moose before the Jets returned and after in that before, it was a team that needed to win and not just be the Canucks developmental team.  Perhaps they felt the Ice Caps needed to win first, develop second.

Realisitically, that isnt the case anymore and Chipman has said as much.  That winning is secondary to developing the players for the Jets.  The Moose sucked last season and if they werent using the Jets prospects the best way its even more glaring.  I didnt watch any games so I can only trust what people like Goalie say.  Also heard the systems were different enough that when a player was called up, he didnt easily slip into the role with the Jets, had to learn how the Jets play. 

Exactly what TUP said there in terms of how they expect the AHL team to operate here vs in St Johns. If you listen to Chevy talk, he basically, without saying it, says why McCambridge was let go, very subtly but listen to his interview he did. 

33 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Maybe there was a difference in how they expected the AHL team to operate in St John's versus here.  I know Chipman explained there was a difference between the Moose before the Jets returned and after in that before, it was a team that needed to win and not just be the Canucks developmental team.  Perhaps they felt the Ice Caps needed to win first, develop second.

Realisitically, that isnt the case anymore and Chipman has said as much.  That winning is secondary to developing the players for the Jets.  The Moose sucked last season and if they werent using the Jets prospects the best way its even more glaring.  I didnt watch any games so I can only trust what people like Goalie say.  Also heard the systems were different enough that when a player was called up, he didnt easily slip into the role with the Jets, had to learn how the Jets play. 

They really nailed the winning is secondary part...

Regardless of how many games they won or lost, it's irrelevant to their big picture. Chevy pretty much said that today, It's about developing players to play in the NHL, You look at a guy like Joel Armia, he used him as an example, he was called up to the JETS but the reality with the AHL, is there was nobody to replace him on the Moose. Then you look at other guys who got called up, The Petans, the Hellebuycks, Kosmo, De Leo, Lipon, Morrissey,Melchiori etc... That's what matters to them. Developing guys to call up. Funny thing about the Moose this year, it wasn't the kids that struggled or at least not as much as the Vets did, guys like Cormier,Raffl,Albert,MacWilliam etc, Fraser,Halischuk, these are the guys that struggled the most, the veterans. The kids did pretty good all things considered, i mean they did turn 9 guys pro this year, 2 were on the Jets in Ehlers and Copp, 7 were on the moose and or in the ECHL with Tulsa. People need to get it out of their heads that this Moose version is the same as version 1.0, The goal of this version of the moose is to develop players for the Jets. The goal of the Moose version 1.0 was to 1. develop the prospects the canucks sent them and 2. actually try to win. They did that by adding veteran players, guys like Jaffray and the sorts. Mike Keane even, Jimmy Roy, guys of that nature. 

Listen to Chevy, he explains it pretty well. The goal of the team is to develop players for the Jets and in due time, that team will be competitive. 

And let's not pretend that they didn't try to add veterans to this team either... they did but those vets absolutely sucked crap. 

"It all starts here" isn't just some fancy slogan they use to sell tickets. It's what this version of the Moose is all about. It all starts here, this is where the Jets drafted prospects start off... it all starts with the moose. Winning is secondary, Developing the kids to be able to play in the NHL is their number 1 priority. 

Edited by Goalie

• 4 weeks later...