Wrestling

Rich

That's the big speculation as to whether his contract expired this Jan or next.  And I did speak to him about that last year at this time when Styles &Nak jumped and Im sure he told me he had a two year deal at that time or a company option on a second year.  But a mutual friend says he thought Kenny said he had a one year deal.  And Kenny joked that all the wrestling media types were trying to find out. 

The way he portrayed it to me this month was he had a choice.  So Im not sure if that means his contract expires on Jan 31st or if there is an option built in to roll it over or expire it.  Most people say its up to WWE how bad they want him (ie. how much are they willing to pay/promise) but I'd say its more up to New Japan how much they want to keep him.

Here's a summation (from someone else) of his interview on the Taz Podcast today:

Kenny Omega appeared on The Taz Show with former WWE and ECW star Taz this morning on CBS Radio for an interview discussing his recent main event at the New Japan Wrestle Kingdom show, his future, his time in WWE developmental in the past and more.

During the interview, when asked what he might be able to discuss about his future, Omega stated that he wasn't being "suspiciously silent" or trying to make people think one thing to "work" them. He said that a year ago,when AJ Styles, Shinsuke Nakamura, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson were all signed by WWE, it opened the eyes of New Japan that they needed to break away from the standard one year deals. He said talents were signed to unique deals and he was one of them.

Omega said that he wouldn't be on the upcoming New Japan Fantasticamania tour, but wouldn't be on the tour anyway. He said that he effectively has time off to reflect and is using that to decide what is the best for him going forward.

Omega, 33, has becomes one of the most talked about performers in wrestling since the Tokyo Dome event on 1/4. WWE's John Cena posting photos alluding to the idea of Omega potentially coming to WWE, similar to one Cena posted a year ago about AJ Styles, has only ramped up that speculation.

In terms of what would direct his decision-making, Omega said that he's not looking for monetary goals but is looking to change "the business as much as I can in my own way and do something with impact." He said he's come so far in Japan that he almost feels as if he's had a "complete career" there and is now mulling over what the next potential move for him could be. He said that by almost winning the IWGP title and not getting there, he would hate to feel like he's walked away from there without that.

Omega said that he wasn't sending out feelers but was open to receiving them, commenting that after the Dome and the buzz that he's gotten, it appears that WWE is more "receiving" of seeing Omega in a way that would allow him to "contribute" to that company. He said that he doesn't want to just take a payday for money but wants to contribute in a way that makes current fans happy and bring former fans back to the business. He admitted that seeing how former NJPW talents have been used there has opened his eyes to the potential.

Omega noted "no negotiations have ended" and it's not a case of one company outbidding another in the end.

"It's not a money situation."

Omega's current deal with New Japan expires on 1/31.

35 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

And WWE posted a video to their front page of their website asking "Which WWE Superstar Wants Kenny Omega in the Royal Rumble?" and it was a video asking guys who they'd want as a surprise.  Miz said Ryan Gosling.  Seth said Omega.  It has since been removed... lol

This isn't the first time they've done something like that.  I honestly think the "Put something out there then remove it to make it seem like it was an accident" to fuel rumors is one of their strategies.

In a move that continues to defy belief, WWE has fully embraced Jimmy Snuka.  Graphic.  Memorial video.  And now they've uploaded a Snuka collection to their Network and emailed their entire mailing list to invite fans to "celebrate the life" of Snuka.  This might be the best example of TONE DEAF I've ever seen from them, and that says a lot.

WWE literally doesnt give a **** what people think about anything.  They just do what they do.  I almost respect their balls. 

48 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

In a move that continues to defy belief, WWE has fully embraced Jimmy Snuka.  Graphic.  Memorial video.  And now they've uploaded a Snuka collection to their Network and emailed their entire mailing list to invite fans to "celebrate the life" of Snuka.  This might be the best example of TONE DEAF I've ever seen from them, and that says a lot.

WWE literally doesnt give a **** what people think about anything.  They just do what they do.  I almost respect their balls. 

Is it tone deaf?  Rightly or wrongly I see that the majority of fans do not really seem to be bothered by his crimes, judging by comments on twitter and reddit.  I'd say 70/30 in favour of "RIP Snuka!" and "One of the greatest of all time".

Still tone deaf. OJ has fans. Benoit has fans.  The company is supposed to be better than that. 

And I was actually surprised by the live reaction to the video they played on raw.  That was a crowd that more than anyone would be most likely to cheer. And they weee a mixture of jeers and silence with only a bit of applause. 

According to people in attendance... the cheers were much louder than the so called jeers and silence. I honestly don't think that many of the fans nowadays 1. Really know what snuka apparently did and 2. He was never convicted so... 

I mean I get it... maybe he did kill that girl 25 years ago.. but maybe he didn't.  Nobody knows for sure. 

Plus... like it or not snuka was a legend who inspired tons and tons of wrestlers and people worldwide.  I wasn't born but that moment he jumped off the top of the cage at MSG.... he became a legend. 

Sorry guys. But he did do it. You know who knows?  He does. And he told several people he hit her. I read the grand jury evidence today. He killed her. He was a violent abusive man, not just to her but also to his precious wife and others. 

He was a legend in wrestling and very nearly was giving the world championship right before hogan. But he got away with killing someone. 

Some compare it to OJ. In some ways that's warranted. They both got away with murder. I guess on the scale of murder what OJ did was worse because the obvious intent was to kill two people whereas with Jimmy he was just a wife beater and it finally killed the girl. 

But OJ actually was acquitted. Jimmy was on charges two weeks ago and would be on trial right now if his condition hadn't suddenly deteriorated.  Both were found responsible in civil court and both tried to avoid paying. 

Snuka claimed to be destitute even with several good earning years ahead of him. 

If you read the evidence it really erases any doubt. And Jimmy himself insinuated Vince paid someone off to make it go away. 

14 hours ago, The Unknown Poster said:

Still tone deaf. OJ has fans. Benoit has fans.  The company is supposed to be better than that. 

Tone deaf to what?  "The company is supposed to be better"... according to who?  It's fine that you have certain standards but I don't know why you think everyone feels the same way you do.  Or that a company like WWE is obligated to feel that way.  I mean, yeah, there are a minority of fans that are upset about Snuka and don't feel he should be honoured.  So what?  There's a minority of people that are pissed off about stuff all the time.  No one is obligated to kowtow to them.

12 hours ago, Atomic said:

Tone deaf to what?  "The company is supposed to be better"... according to who?  It's fine that you have certain standards but I don't know why you think everyone feels the same way you do.  Or that a company like WWE is obligated to feel that way.  I mean, yeah, there are a minority of fans that are upset about Snuka and don't feel he should be honoured.  So what?  There's a minority of people that are pissed off about stuff all the time.  No one is obligated to kowtow to them.

They're a public company. So they are obligated to their shareholders. They're an entertainment company that relies on viewers so they are obligated to this viewers. 

I've never said WWE as an entity and the Mcmahons don't have the right to do and say whatever they want. But it's still tone deaf. The fact wrestling flies under the radar of the mainstream doesn't make it right. 

They are embracing and celebrating a wife beater and murderer. It's not a good look. 

Not everyone is into wrestling like you are. Not as many people care, either. This happened a long time ago & a lot of wrestling fans weren't born when this happened. People hear & read the stories about Snuka & just aren't sure. I can't say he did what he's accused of. Just like Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Did Lewis kill someone at that nightclub? We can speculate that he did but got off however we don't know for sure. Yet despite the questions, Lewis is still a popular NFL former player & had a gig on ESPN as an NFL analyst.

11 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Not everyone is into wrestling like you are. Not as many people care, either. This happened a long time ago & a lot of wrestling fans weren't born when this happened. People hear & read the stories about Snuka & just aren't sure. I can't say he did what he's accused of. Just like Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Did Lewis kill someone at that nightclub? We can speculate that he did but got off however we don't know for sure. Yet despite the questions, Lewis is still a popular NFL former player & had a gig on ESPN as an NFL analyst.

If people don't care that's cool. I'm not lobbying for people who don't care to suddenly care. I'm not asking non fans to be angry. I'm not angry. I'm merely making the point that WWE is doing something rather surprising for a public company. 

I'd suggest anyone taking the "we don't know what happened anyway" position to read the grand jury evidence. Snuka was a woman beater. Who admitted striking Nancy leading to her death. At best he admitted to manslaughter. He changed his story numerous times to cover that fact. 

30 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I think the fans on Raw told the WWE what they thought with their muted response. If the WWE wants to live in a fantasy world ignoring what people think that's their decision, I guess.

That's true. It's odd that their email last inviting fans to celebrate Snuka was after raw.  But wwe has never been known as a company that did what fans wanted lol

keep in mind this is a company that continues their Benoit memorial live raw even when it was strongly suspected he killed his wife and son. 

1 hour ago, The Unknown Poster said:

That's true. It's odd that their email last inviting fans to celebrate Snuka was after raw.  But wwe has never been known as a company that did what fans wanted lol

keep in mind this is a company that continues their Benoit memorial live raw even when it was strongly suspected he killed his wife and son. 

The Benoit killings & suicide was bizarre & sick. Very tragic.

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Benoit killings & suicide was bizarre & sick. Very tragic.

It really is. What's crazy is I think he tried to get away with the murders. He told the office his wife was sick and he missed his flight to a Saturday house show but would make the Sunday PPV. The office told him not to bother and stay with his wife. 

I think his plan was to show up at work as if nothing happened and then have an "alibi" when they were found. 

On 21/01/2017 at 9:47 PM, The Unknown Poster said:

If people don't care that's cool. I'm not lobbying for people who don't care to suddenly care. I'm not asking non fans to be angry. I'm not angry. I'm merely making the point that WWE is doing something rather surprising for a public company. 

I'd suggest anyone taking the "we don't know what happened anyway" position to read the grand jury evidence. Snuka was a woman beater. Who admitted striking Nancy leading to her death. At best he admitted to manslaughter. He changed his story numerous times to cover that fact. 

if vince did in fact pay off the police, wouldnt it be more surprising for him to suddenly now not be backing snuka?  his sudden turn coat would make him look worse for what he did back then as well imo